cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Well, I can promise something changed.  I've been a Sprint customer for 11 years, and NEVER got above 1-1.5Mpbs on 3G or 4MB/s on WiMax.  Right now on my HTC Arrive (Windows Phone), I'm getting 5Mbps down 1.6Mbps up, so if they opened up something for the iPhone, I'm definatly taking better advantage of it.  In the end, Sprint's network is still slow as crap on normal use and average.

Journeyman

I'm no expert, but Sprint reception SUCKS!  I live one mile from SouthPark and I constantly experience dropped calls while driving around SouthPark.  At my own home I cannot get reception unless I go outdoors in the front yard.  Reception is very important to me ....  since with my previous carrier (V) I never had a problem talking on my phone while at home and rarely dropped calls.  Reception Is Important!

Journeyman

Que_P wrote:

I agree HENRokv. Received my iPhone yesterday evening and contemplating returning it. Its slow as sh**. Ive been using a Evo for almost a year and the Evo runs circles around this iPhone. And Ive never used 4g on my Evo , always 3G in my area. The phone appears to not be worth all of the hype that surrounds it. Im going to give it another few days and if the internet speeds dont improve, I will be shipping it back and going back to using my Evo.

What did you expect?  It IS an iPhone.

Journeyman

I was curious to Sprint's commitment to 3G and found this 10/7 blog post on Network Vision.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/announcements/blog/2011/10/07/sprint-accelerat...

Says...

3G Network Improvement:  Sprint expects an improvement in customers’ 3G network experience, including expanded coverage, improved network reliability, better voice quality, and faster 3G data speeds. Based on forecasts of data demand, Sprint is confident its 3G network will meet customers’ growing data demands.

I find this a little reassuring.

Journeyman

134 ms ping
0.75 mbps down
0.82 mbps up

I live about 15 minutes north of Denver, CO. I've had nothing but excellent experiences in the Denver area with Siri and the iPhone. It really feels like the 3G speeds are better.

Journeyman

Count me in on this.  I was an iPhone customer of AT&T's since day one in 2007 and had great voice and 3G service with them on all my iPhones.  I then moved about 15 blocks down the street (still here in Pasadena, CA) and I could hardly make or receive calls or texts with AT&T.  I bought an M-cell and that helped a bit but it really burned me that I had to spend an additonal $200 just to use my phone in my new house.  Anyway, I switched to Sprint on Friday when the new 4S came out and while I can make or receive calls just fine in my new place, the 3G speed is horrendous.  I called customer service and they told me to power off the phone and leave it off for at least a minute and that should help, otherwise it just mean that a lot of people were trying to access the network.  I do have WiFi at my house so 3G isn't an issue exactly here but I am worried when I am out and about.  I really hope things level out.  I really want to stay with Sprint but I have to have good 3G speed.

Journeyman

Well, I can promise something changed.  I've been a Sprint customer for  11 years, and NEVER got above 1-1.5Mpbs on 3G or 4MB/s on WiMax.  Right  now on my HTC Arrive (Windows Phone), I'm getting 5Mbps down 1.6Mbps up,  so if they opened up something for the iPhone, I'm definatly taking  better advantage of it.  In the end, Sprint's network is still slow as  **** on normal use and average.

that is EXACTLY my point...I have NEVER gotten a download speed of over 1.3MB until about a week ago... I got 1.5MB through...not great but better

3 weeks ago 0.04 Mb/s 0.07 Mb/s 4,127 ms

2 weeks ago 0.08 Mb/s 0.07 Mb/s 582 ms

1 week ago 1.53 Mb/s 0.11 Mb/s 295 ms

and taking into consideration their blocked attempt to utilize LightSquared services (which had a 15 YEAR commitment) and the "bad blood" between Clear after that failed attempt...the logical conclusion is that Sprint has (and had) the ability to provide better service...they just didn't want to or couldn't due to contractual obligations at the time. If the politicians (FCC, DOJ et al) would get out of the way we might know for sure...

Who knows, it may be that the "better" (but still lagging) broadband services are here to stay...I am cautiously optimistic that they are...and pessimistically certain that they aren't...

until the "dust settles" after the first of the year, I will lay off this one...

Journeyman

Former AT&T customer and iPhone customer since launch day in 2007.  Switched to Sprint iPhone on Friday.  Here in the SF Bay Area my Sprint 3G speeds are maybe 10% slower than what I was getting on AT&T.  Enough that I notice it, but not enough that it bothers me.  Haven't tried the phone in SF yet, by my AT&T iPhone was essentially useless there, so if I get ANY data there it will be an upgrade.  So far I'm a happy customer.

I chalk most of this up to growing pains.  I'm sure Sprint data speeds will be generally fine in a few weeks.  Sprint has too much at stake for this to not work well.

Journeyman

Well, my Spint experiment has come to and end.  I officialy took my two new iPhone 4S's to teh Sprint store in Kansas City and am back with At&T

I was really hoping to switch but the slo data speeds in my city make the iPhone unusable.

For those interested, I was on the thrid day of my usage.  Sprint took back the phones and did NOT charge me a restocking fee nor any other penalties.  In fact they were very nice and apolagetic.  I actually felt bad returning them :-)

Posted below is a screenshot of my ATT iPhone 4 speedtest while using it as a tethered phone.  These speeds, 4 meg download and 1.5 meg upload is what At&T iphone users are accustomed to.  Sprint is not even in the same league.

Good luck to all of you.  Perhaps when the iPhone 5 arrives, SPrint will get their act together.

Thanks for all the great feedback folks

Andy

Screen Shot 2011-10-16 at 1.43.59 PM.png

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

does anyone know if sprint plans to fix the slow 3g speeds on the iphone 4s this is crazy

Journeyman

I would think they would.  Why wouldn't they?

Journeyman

Was getting really bad speeds yesterday and the phone was getting hot.  Did a restart (hold power, swipe to power off) and it seems to be better. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat