Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

MGman61 wrote:

Point taken. I'll give you that based on your experiences. I'd say unfortunately for you it's specifically bad service to your area though. What happens if you take all your phones elsewhere and try the same thing? Or how about if you take just your phone somewhere else? Your 4 and 4S apparently work to some degree, at least I'd guess, since you still have them.  That, compared to some others that can't even connect most of the time or have ridiculously inconsistent data rates.

scf48 wrote:

Okay... then I'll give you this much... perhaps the iphone is slowER than the other phones, but I have 3 phones on my account... the EVO, a 4 and a 4S.  I can PROMISE YOU that they are ALL painfully slow.  There are plenty of times when I run tests at the same time on all three and I see little difference between the three.  When I shut off the 4G and wifi on the EVO, it crawls along just as slowly.  You can tell me that I'm incorrect or haven't been reading other posts, but I can speak very clearly from personal experience... the 3G network is the problem.

In eastern PA and southern NJ, the service is basically the same everywhere.  To be honest, the only reason we still have the iphones is because one belongs to my mother and one to my wife.  Neither one of them cares all that much about slow data when outside of wifi (which they both have in their respective houses).  The EVO is mine and I can make do between wifi and 4G.  I was contemplating a switch to a 4S in a few months when I am eligible but no way I'm going to do that unless this mess gets worked out... which I'm not holding my breath about since it's not like this is a new situation.

For example, my wife tried to ask Siri something yesterday evening... since the wifi was off, it wouldn't connect.  I was supremely irritated... she just turned on wifi and asked again.  Some people have more patience than others... more than some companies deserve.

For the sake of an example... I just ran a speed test on my EVO running 3G. 

Ping = 273ms 

Down=.15Mbps 

Up=.08Mbps

While it's quite possible that the 4 or 4S would be running slower than this (since I don't have them with me, I can't tell for certain), these speeds are NOT acceptible, IMO.  And if the iphones would be getting .1 or .05 down instead, that doesn't make it any better that my EVO is getting .15 down and .08 up.  Plus there are plenty of times when I run a test and the speeds are lower than this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I was in the grocery store yesterday I was trying to use my 4S for data and couldn't.  I had a full 5 bars of signal and a 3G symbol and it wouldn't connect, so then I ran a test and was getting 0.00Mbps - 0.01Mbps.  Went outside and only got 2 bars and was getting 0.25Mbps.  How can Sprint explain this if they are not throttling speeds or if there is no antenna problem?  Yet at my home and work I'm getting good 3G speeds, which is where I need them the least since I have Wi-Fi.  I'm not paying Sprint for Wi-Fi access, I'm paying them for 3G which they don't provide even though there are plenty of towers in my area.

I think I'm now locked into the contract so the only way out is to sell the phone for full price on eBay and pay the ETF or tell Sprint to shove it and report me to collections.

Maybe Sprint will go out of business soon and then we can all sign up our phones with another carrier with no contract.

Highlighted
Patron

IMG_1087.pngCome on sprint I got faster speeds with netzero dial up internet 15 years ago!!!!! I want a refund!!!!! My att iphone 4 averaged 350 kbs per second the best i can get with sprint is 2.1 kbs..... sad.... really sad...... Its like having a ferarri governed to 10 mph..

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am thinking of just canceling before my two weeks and going back to unlimited AT&T data on their 4s which is really fast in Spokane, like 10 Mbps average. It will be a little more per month, like 15 more for unlimited data text and 200 less minutes but at least I will have useable data.

Highlighted
Journeyman

photo.PNG

seriously pathetic. I'm in Columbia, MO. Please FIX this already.

Highlighted
Journeyman

people in their right mind need to think .. seriously

NO COMPANY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL ADMIT THEIR IS A PROBLEM? WHY SO PEOPLE COULD LEAVE ASAP INSTEAD OF LATER THAN THEY SHOULD.

THE GOVERNMENT DOESNT ADMIT INVASIONS, TORTURE ETC ETC ETC

THE POLICE DOESNT ADMIT WRONG DOING EVEN WITH VIDEO TAPE EVIDENCE

EVEN THE A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES SAID HE WAS NOT A CROOK OR HAD SEX WITH THAT WOMAN.

ANY PR COMPANY WOULD TELL YOU ... DENY DENY DENY... MAKE EM PROVE IT...

NOW THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH SPRINT.. SO BE IT.. BUT FOR SPRINT TO ADMIT RIGHT OUT THE BOX THERE IS

EVERYONE ONE WOULD WANT TO KNOW WHEN IS THERE A FIX THEN WHEN THATS NOT HAPPENING OVERNIGHT

OTHERS WILL WANT THEIR MONEY BACK

AND SOME OTHERS KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN AN WAIT IT OUT SINCE THATS THE NATURE OF TECHNOLOGY.

IF SPRINT CAME OUT AND ADMIT IT RIGHT OUT THE BOX.. I LL SAY.. THAT WAS DUMB AND YOU DONT HAVE A IDEA WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just because denial might be a the standard PR move, that still doesn't make it a right PR move. I'm pretty sure both of those president's faced significant repercussions for their lies. A better company would be stating that they are working their butts off to fix the issue. I feel bad that the iPhone is going to be the last nail in Sprint's coffin, because it was the right move. Unfortunately, as we are seeing, the iPhone release was poorly executed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear Sprint,

I got my iPhone 4S yestaerday with the hope that problems reported 2 weeks ago would have been fixed. Following is the screenshot of my iPhone with some speed tests conducted. I am a user from Houston. Why am I getting these ridiculous numbers over a 3G network?

photo.PNG

Fellow users, please advise me if I should return the iPhone as I have 10 days left to do it. Or you hope that Sprint will be able to solve this problem?

I am new to US and not well versed with the reputation of different carriers. But, Sprint has lost my loyalty.

Thanks,

User

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Lighten up Francis"

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm going to duct-tape a 56k modem to my phone and haul a giant spool of copper phone line wherever I go... that's looking like a much better option than trying to use 3g:

screenshot-1319834222312.png

Highlighted
Wizard

CraigMKE wrote:

I'm going to duct-tape a 56k modem to my phone and haul a giant spool of copper phone line wherever I go... that's looking like a much better option than trying to use 3g:

screenshot-1319834222312.png

Since you're working off an Android instead of an iphone, some would have you believe that you shouldn't be having a problem with your speeds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok just got a call from one of Sprint's iPhone techs, he said an internal network fix is scheduled to be rolled out tonight at 5:30 CST that should help things a lot.  He said this fix resolved most peoples issues in Cally...  The fix code is zip code specific and my zip code is in it.  I am in Orlando.  I am a bit skeptical but that is what my ticket was updated with and it triggered an alert for him to call me and let me know.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat