cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES
Journeyman

Same here in Rochester, NY.

Download: 0.20 Mbps Upload: 0.07 Mbps

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Have you tired Siri?  It will say "Sorry I am having trouble connecting to the network".  This speed is ridiculous, too slow to use the function provided by iPhone.  I couldn't even imaging how would navigation work at this speed when it has to load maps on demand.

Journeyman

Test Date: Oct 14, 2011 3:50 PM

Connection Type: Cellular

Server: Austin, TX

Download: 0.07 Mbps

Upload: 0.11 Mbps

Ping: 1084 ms

Agree this is pathetic! And it's clearly the entire network not just by area. Maybe I can cancel my contract for free because they aren't providing what they said they will Smiley Wink

Back to AT&T I guess! Sucks I switched over just for the 4s

Journeyman

I would give sprint a few days to get their act together, this is day 1 for them, who know what kind of problem they facing with all these new iPhones..  But should complain to them about it.  I believe you can cancel your contract within 14 days.

Wizard

I got 0.10 up and 0.00 up here about an hour northwest of Philly.

Then again, I wasn't getting very good speeds before today either so this is nothing new.  I think Sprint is going to lose a lot of folks that switched over within that first 14 days because of data speeds. 

Journeyman

I am posting two sceenshots or Samsung Epic Touch on both Sprint's 3G and 4G network.  Notice the 3G speed on Samsung is a lot faster than on iPhone.  That is one reason i am posting why is the speed so slow on iPhone but not on the other phone on the same network.  I am sitting at the same spot with two phones.  Perhaps somebody from Sprint can answer this question?

3gspeedtest.png4gspeedtest.png

Journeyman

Perhaps it's getting late here and network not as congested.  The speed improvement is significant, but still slower than samsung. I would give it a weekend and see if it improves.

photo.PNG

3gspeedtest2.png

Journeyman

Using the iPhone 4S in Orange California, Speed results are anemic at best..  0.10 Mbps down, 0.06 Mbps up, since Siri requires network connectivity, I am unable to use it, might have to switch back to T-Mobile....or Verizon if I want to keep an iPhone 4S...

Journeyman

Using the 4S in City of Industry, CA since 12pm today.  I switched from a T-mobile 4G.  The network speed is a joke.  I am going to give it a few days.  I do not expect 4g speed but  I think this is slower than the original EVDO. 

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.