Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4s can't download apps over 3g

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4s can't download apps over 3g

I've done a bit of searching and from what I come up with neither Apple nor Sprint want to take blame for some data compression issue effecting the downloading of apps using 3g.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct? If not, any suggestions as to why apps won't download over 3g eliminating Sprints crappy data network as a cause?  These apps aren't large.  4mb and 11mb. The app icon says loading or waiting then it fails after a few minutes.  I hit retry and it never works.  I had to hard reset my phone to get it registered and I'm not looking to hard reset it again.  All I've done so far are soft resets for this issue.

The convenience of using the iphone is great but it has nothing at all to do with Sprint.  Sprint actually brings nothing to the table other than a discounted bill with SERO pricing.  I feel bad for you guys who are paying $80 plus taxes.  

Any help on this is appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Master

Currently there is an issue with the Apple apps store  downloading over the Cellular connection.  Apple is working at finding a root cause and correcting it. Apps can be download over WiFi or from Itunes  This currently is  a known issue.  A hard reset of the device will not fix the problem.  The biggest problem is that is not effecting all Iphones.  

Highlighted

Apple has informed Sprint that they are aware of the issue and are actively investigating to determine root cause.
What you need to do:

Apple and Sprint are working to resolve the issue.

Make sure you are in coverage area with no known service alerts.
Make sure data is working. (Open Safari browser, navigate to another page).
Power-cycle the device.
Open the phone dial pad and type ##update# (##873283#).
Tap Call.
Tap Ok and the Starting Service update prompt.
When Service update is complete, tap Ok.
Go to Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data.
Go to Settings > Store. Click on the Apple ID email and sign out and sign back in.
After you sign back in on the store, go to the Automatic Downloads Option and turn ON Apps, Music and Books.
Make sure Use Cellular Data is ON for Downloads.
Turn on and connect to a Wi-Fi network and try to download an application.
If still failing, connect to iTunes and download applications.

Ray

Highlighted
Journeyman

sprint 3g is just too slow..

Highlighted
Journeyman

did you ever think that your iphone 4 will not work on 4G because they can only run on the 3G network check your phone specs

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the feedback.  Do we have an official Apple or Sprint thread to watch for when a fixed is released?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

recheck their original post...they never even mentioned 4G..they said the apps they were trying to dl were only 4mb-11mb

xmas2012 wrote:

did you ever think that your iphone 4 will not work on 4G because they can only run on the 3G network check your phone specs

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Has this issue ever been resolved? Or is Sprint still using the Apple excuse? I have an iPhone 5 and can not do anything on 3G! I get an error that says it cant' download an app if I am just connected to 3g.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I honestly don't think this has ever been resolved. I have an iPhone 5 through Sprint and am still experiencing the same issue. Can't do a thing on 3G except tweet, text, imessage, and light browsing via Safari. YouTube, downloading apps, Pandora, and other things just won't happen via 3G. Definitely a sad company.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat