cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4s from HTC Evo - What do we lose?

Journeyman

I've wanted an iPhone for years, but I didn't want to leave Sprint because I've always been happy with the service.  Now it's finally here.  Yesterday I was dead set on purchasing an iPhone 4s during the presale.  Today I'm reevaluating.  What will I lose if I "upgrade" to the iPhone from the HTC Evo?  Here's what I'm thinking...

• Google integration
  • FB and Twitter integration with contacts
  • Turn by turn voice navigation
  • Official Gmail app

Am I missing anything else?  Am I incorrect on any of the bullets above?

I really need to think about this...  Hmm...

What are you all thinking?

Tags (3)
61 REPLIES 61
Highlighted
Journeyman

Like you, I had really, really wanted the iPhone too, but the data packages were too darn expensive.  I gave the EVO a shot and boy I'm glad I did.

Yes, you are correct.

And you are missing:

• You can ONLY buy from iTunes
  • You cannot take advantage of the App Store from Amazon nor the Market
  • And you cannot customize the iPhone like you can your EVO

These are my opinions only.

Wizard

Re: iPhone 4s from HTC Evo - What do we lose?

Near as I can tell Voice (turn by turn) Navigation is the big thing. You get Google Maps with directions but it doesn't verbally give you directions (which I think is safer than looking at your device). Also, I'd miss PDAnet. (That's all I'm going to say about that).

Customization is nice, but I could really care less.

What I won't miss If I switch is the Android bugginess I have experienced lately. I've had to hard reset twice in the past month losing all my account and app settings. Very time consuming to put those back in. Apps and contacts, no big deal. But if that ever were to happen on an iPhone, I'd plug it into my MacBook and reinstall everything, as it was, complete.

Journeyman

you lose this.

no extra battery...you have 1 battery with the wackophone and when it dies you have to charge it.Some people use more then 1 charge per day.

3.5 screen to a 4.0 screen you lose a lot.I have held them both and the phone at 3.5 is so small.

You lost wifi tether which is huge for many.

Root which lets you put what you want not what apple wants.

Go on more? i think that is enough and that is just the evo let alone the ET4G

Journeyman

If I read the specs were right, you lose 4g.  Is this correct?

Journeyman

You loose respect, a sense of pride and most importantly swagger

Journeyman

Well, I live in Indianapolis.  We do not have 4G here.

I'm thinking about adding another line of service and just have Google Voice send calls to the iPhone from my Evo number.  Since I'm not eligible for upgrade, financially it would make more sense to just add a line of service.  It would cost about the same in the long run.  If I did that, I would be able to keep my Evo, but still mess around with the iPhone.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Both phones have their advantages and disadvantages.

Speaking personally, I would miss the Widgets on the homescreen.  And my 2600mAh battery. 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

This has been a really helpful thread, thanks!

Related question: I'm upgrading this month from a Blackberry and deciding between the Evo 4G (not the 3D one as the camera megapixels aren't good, and I don't want to pay an extra $100) and the iPhone 4S. Those of you who own Evos: is it silly to get one a year and a half after it came out? Or still worth it?

I would be sold on the iPhone except it doesn't have 4G. I have strong 4G coverage in my area and want to use it as a hotspot.

Journeyman

Evo owner here, don't think it's silly at all. For the Evo's current price you can't go wrong. I'm eligible for an upgrade now and looking at its price I half entertained the idea of renewing for the same phone, never mind the fact that I have insurance, lol. There is just a lot of cool things you can do with the Android OS and as much as I wish I could buy the iPhone, it doesn't hold up...

... for now anyway.

Journeyman

You don't lose turn-by-turn. There are multiple free apps in the App Store for GPS navigation with turn-by-turn voice prompts. Twitter integration is built in iOS 5, just take sometime to actually review the features next time. The FaceBook app does allow integration with contacts as well to, granted, not to the level Android's version does. The iPhone has mobile hotspot as well, so you don't lose that (granted, you do lose 4G though).

What you gain with the iPhone is reliability and stability, so you can actively use your device because iPhones don't force close every minute. You gain a larger app store and higher quality apps since developers tend to put more effort in the iOS versions and develop them first. You gain a higher resolution display vs. any current Android device on Sprint and a MUCH better dpi, so text and images look a lot crisper. You also get a much better camera, and better security because of the app store approval process.

Journeyman

Believe you also will not have the same insurance options as other devices, flash and most of all no sprint TV. ESPN on sprint tv is not that great but it helps!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat