cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 4s want connect to sprint tower in ALASKA :-(

Journeyman

i just got the phone. Sprint said it needs to connect to 3g to "activate" I used itunes/wifi and ##update# prl(doesnt work because i have no signal bars to connect to anyway) so mean to tell me i'd have to send/fly to lower 48 states to really activate my phone since Iphone requires 3g network for anything to really activate? yeah im located in 99506 elmendorf,ak air force base ....this freaking sux i want be back in lower 48 till 31st shortly going to deploy after that..........well if anyone got a solution please help. The problem is it doesn't connect to a network here in alaska. It was shipped activated to 3g but the lady I called had me do a factory restore to activate my phone 😞

14 REPLIES 14
Wizard

The iPhone 4s can be activated over 3G, wifi or through iTunes. You can check out the different activation methods here. If you're showing no signal bars, not most likely not related to activation, as an inactive device will still display the signal strength indicator.

Journeyman

well yeah it's activated far as being USABLE but on sprint's part the phone need to get the phone configuration, the only way of doing that according to sprint is via 3g/possibly wifi. They said the android phones you could MANUALLY put in the phone configuartion(MSID/MSN) numbers but the iphone has to connect to a network to get this information. It's not works soooooo either I send this phone back to the guy i bought it from on Ebay or wait till im in the lower 48 to connect to 3g.

Note1: My Htc Evo 3d is now activated with voice BUT data isn't working because the profile wouldn't update on the network....(network issue?)

note 2: the iphone was shipped to me activated with sprint 3g network, proof was when I turned the phone on the first time and seen sprint 3g symbol. that all changed after I did a factory restore hence erasing the network settings.

Wizard

The activation via wifi downloads the MDN, MSID and NAI, so if the activation shows that it completed over wifi, it's complete. No further communication on the sprint network is required to actually use the device for voice calls, except getting a signal, of course. You will know if your phone does not have the correct MDN/MSID by the error message you hear when trying to place a call from inactive device, "Your account could not be validated." What happens when you try to place a call?

Journeyman

when i try calling it does nothing. it just shows that it's dialing but it doesn't say antying(no signal)

hmmm so the mdn/msid comes to the phone when you do it over wifi? guess i'll keep trying even though i activated my evo 3d phone. I dont know why but I'm picking up 1x only in my area but 99506 shows 3g. this is only with me also. my friends have a evo he browses the net. so yeah I actually need to connect to 3g but for some reason I cant connect to 3g with my 2phones I have....sounds like something on sprint's end both of these phones are new(evo 3d , iphone 4s)

note: I used netmonitor to see what network I was on at 99506 zip code. it shows 1xrrt.I'm sure this area has 3g but for some reason I'm only allowed to 1x. hmmmm

Journeyman

still no fix. looks like flying back home will solve the problem...will update on 31st

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did you make sure you have Voice/Data roaming set to "ON"?  Here where I live, when I lose signal from Sprint's towers, which SADLY it happens, I switch over to Verizon's network, and at the top it says Extended.  If you cannot connect to Sprint, then you should be able to connect to another network.  Make sure you have data roaming/calling on your plan so you dont incurr any extra charges.  My friend from Alaska did this, and it worked...

Journeyman

definately. I've tried everything basically. When I first got it it had the sprint 3g symbol at the top but after that factory restore I did that was it. from there all I get is "No service" so yeah I'm just hoping connecting it to one of sprint own towers down in the lower 48 will work.My evo 3d voice/text messages works but DATA isn't working

Journeyman

i am having the same issue as you .after about 4 hours online with tech support (and being hung up on twice) i found out that they are having 3g outages in the 99507 and surrounding area. started on the 18 of this month and should be fixed on the 29. i was told that the phone should start working a-ok after that. hope this helps.

Journeyman

I don't believe that as I've been told the same thing except they told me around the 24 the 3g outage should be fixed...(but my friend has the evo and everything works fine on his phone) I guess this only effects people that are trying to activate their phone. 2 more days

Journeyman

i had a feeling that that was bs.

i have never had such bad custumor service before and i have  delt with microsoft and ebay. get   told to do the same thing over and over after saying that it does not work(looking at you##update#) i have been hung up on. not called back after being told they would. and transfured to techs that do not pick up there phone.

one of them even told me tp drive to cloest sprint store after i said i was 2k miles away from home in alaska.

with any luck the "3g outage" will end on the 29 as they said it  or my phone is going back and i am heading down to the diamound center mall at&t store.

Journeyman

Yea they are just telling you this like me. Sadly I think the problem is since we're on one of sprint's partners(Alaska Digetel) Network the phone will not FULLY activate right. Because I have 2 new phones. Evo 3d and Iphone 4s. The evo can use calls and simple texts but the iphone doesnt even recognize the network(3g) so yeah I'm just going to say it's  just we're not on one of sprint's tower. I believe after going back to lower 48states to connect to the towers there then come back the phone will work just fine then.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat