Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

major voicemail issue with iphone4s

Journeyman

Re: major voicemail issue with iphone4s

I found this solution on another thread, which I cannot find again;

1- Close all apps(included Phone app) via the multitasking bar

2- Check Visual Voicemail; is it there but with no messages?

3- If blank, call iPhone from another number and leave message

4- Wait for Voicemail Notification on your iPhone

5-Check Visual Voicemail again, your messages should have reappeared

6- If this doesn't work, powered down, restart, and repeat steps

To access voicemails manually from iPhone, press and hold 1 to call Voicemail

If you can't remember your asscode, call Customer Service to reset it

Journeyman

Here is one quick solution that I found today after jumping hurdles to even get  Sprint to acknowledge that this is their network  problem and not an iphone issue. This only addresses the problem of seeing a voicemail, but it won't respond when you try to select it to listen to it (Typically when you see a  time of 0:00 to 0:00 for the length of the message)

Highlight the voicemail you want to listen to.  Select delete, then scroll down to deleted messages and reselect the deleted  message.  Then hit undelete and go back to your voicemail and the message will play.

Sprint's network is dead in the water and I can't wait to terminate.

Journeyman

All what I'm about to describe is a work around for listening to messages you've received but fail to play back. I've tried this numerous times and it works without fail.

1. Select (tap on) the voicemail message so it's highlighted.

2. Tap the Delete button (Note: This won't actually delete the message, it puts it in a deletion queue which you have to clear before it's actually deleted)

3. Tap on Deleted Messages (Note: If this is your first time deleting a message it will appear in the list of received voicemails, if you've already deleted some VM's then it will already be listed).

4. Tap on the voicemail message you just deleted and it should play automatically.

Note: If this makes you nervous, try testing it with a message that doesn't matter i.e., call your own cell and leave a test message. As soon as it appears, delete it then go into deleted messages and play it back.

HTH

Bret

Journeyman

Thanks, this suggestion worked for me on the first try.

Journeyman

Is there a way to eliminate a passcode when getting voice messages?

Master

Because Visual Voicemail actually downloads the voice message in a sound file to the phone, the "skip passcode" feature of our regular or non visual voicemail system is not an option.  Therefore, when calling to "listen" to your voicemails on a Visual Voicemail phone, the passcode will always be required. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

Journeyman

I have been having this problem for several months. and still have it.  wonder when that fix is coming out.  annoying.

Master

Apple has found the cause of the problem and is working on a fix.  We do not have a Estimated time for the release right now.

Journeyman

Same problem as described.  When I first got the iPhone, there didn't seem to be a problem, but now after 2 weeks this is rearing its ugly head.  I have tried the delete and undelete method (as suggested by BretKnight & Josiecap) and that seems to be working better than shutting the phone app down and restarting it... of course, calling into the Sprint VM center seems to be the best solution.  So far, I haven't had a problem with not being notified that a voicemail exists, just with being able to listen to it on my iPhone... a problem that didn't exist with my old android phone on the Sprint network.  Now that Sprint and Apple are verifying it is an Apple problem, I'll bite my tongue for another few weeks.

Journeyman

Yeah I have never had luck with Visual Voicemail on my 4s, I always have to reboot my phone just to be able to hear the message or call in old school.   I am breaking my contract next week and jumping to verizon for the iphone 5

Highlighted
Journeyman

The same thing happened to me. I called tech support and they reset my voicemail, but it lost all existing messages. Then, I played with restoring a previously deleted message and playing it. That worked. I found this in another thread;

8. Oct 15, 2011 6:22 PM (in response to

Re: Visual Voicemail not Working on 4S

Okay, I had this problem and it is fixed.  You have to do two things.  First, call Sprint Technical Support and ask them to reset your voicemail on their end.  As they do that, go to the Reset Network Settings on your phone and reset them.  You should be good to go at that point.  It worked on both of my new iPhones that were trying to dial into voicemail and not working.  Visual voicemail is working fine now.

I have a massive headache, and thus can't remember the exact solution myself, but here's one thing I remember: KEEP CALLING TECHNICAL SUPPORT UNTIL YOU GET A TECH THAT KNOWS THE SOLUTION. Some of them have NO idea, while others know the easy fix.

Journeyman

I agree with Bret.  This is the ONLY way I have been able to get voicemail.  I too have missed important messages due to this issue.

I see that others have indicated that this is a Sprint issue.  Is it a confirmed Sprint issue??

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat