cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the only one with decent data speeds on my iPhone 5?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Am I the only one with decent data speeds on my iPhone 5?

Seems that way.....

photo.PNG

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Am I the only one with decent data speeds on my iPhone 5?

My daughter has the iphone 5 and live outside of chicago we get lte speed all the time.

Highlighted
Master

Hello.  Thanks so much for your feedback. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Irvine still has some pretty good 3G. You make see a little worse coverage for a while, as 4G (LTE) is being set up.

Highlighted
Wizard

I get LTE at work, but only 3G speeds around home. Connection speed is what I got on my previous phone, an HTC EVO 3D. It's usually only around 1mbps down load speed. Not great by any means, but enough for email and websites that are fairly static. At work with LTE the average is around 10mbps

Sad thing is, my home area had decent 4G wi-max coverage. I averaged around 11mbps on that, but since switching to the iPhone 5, I'll have to wait until LTE coverage increases.

Highlighted
Wizard

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm in the east East Bay Area (east of Berkeley,  CA)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I actually had pretty poor 3G speeds around UC Irvine a few weeks ago.

That being said, at least it tends to work, unlike in the Bay Area (unless I can latch onto an LTE signal).

Used to really love Sprint (prior to the iPhone) for its blazing fast 3G. Definitely feeling the pains that AT&T customers felt when they first adopted the iPhone.

Highlighted
Wizard

When in ATL I get LTE most places so it's great but elsewhere in the SE 3G is pretty slow.  I have a Verizon LTE iPad so I don't bother browsing on the Sprint iPhone 5.  E-mail, text and voice work fine so it's no worse than the Galaxy Nexus LTE I came from.  iPhone 5 voice calls have been clearer than on my Sprint Galaxy Nexus. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

They are replacing all of their old WiMax coverage areas with LTE. In do time you will get LTE if you had WiMax.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got pretty blazing LTE near my small city in California. Sprint is looking real promising!

Highlighted
Master

ShindoKiani wrote:

They are replacing all of their old WiMax coverage areas with LTE. In do time you will get LTE if you had WiMax.

Not exactly correct.

Sprint is replacing almost every current 3G tower with new 3G/4G capable equipment. This includes all panels, backhaul, cabling, etc. Less than 100 towers will not get the complete overhaul (due to limitations outside Sprint control with backhaul increases or permitting). This complete network overhaul is called Network Vision, and will replace everything nationwide. Even areas that never got 4G WiMax will be getting 4G LTE, in addition to the upgraded backhaul required for LTE, it will also mean that backhaul limitations causing most of the speed issues nationwide will disappear. The bottleneck on each tower will be widened dramatically. For ecample, most towers currently have several bundled T1 connections to the tower (A T1 connection has a max troughput of 1Mbps). The new upgraded backahul required as part of Network Vision is a MINIMUM 100Mbps to the tower with a requirement for it to be scalable as the need arises, so as more users start using the tower, it can be upped to 200, 300, 400, etc. Mbps as required to maintain speed and capacity).

The WiMax towers are operated and maintained by Clearwire, most of these WiMax towers are not colocated with Sprint's existing 3G network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No absolutely, it would be ridiculous if Sprint didn't. I was stating that there will be a 100% guarantee that if you had 4G you will be getting LTE.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat