cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get Iphone5 activated - total incompetance on Sprint (and Apple)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Cannot get Iphone5 activated - total incompetance on Sprint (and Apple)

trying since Thursday to get a 2nd (1st defective) Iphone 5 activated. Somehow they cannot associate the ESN of the phone to my account which is why it has been in 'partial activation status' according to Apple who promised me it would be activated in 48 hours. Also at the Apple store they gave me a phoney name & local phone number of their Sprint "rep" for the store .  That number was wrong and I felt like a total idiot when I spoke to that person.

I think Apple swapped out the first defective phone for a phone someone else returned or one they knew was defective.

Now someone tell me how painful this is going to be

1) goto Apple store and get a refund of (all of my money)

2) need to have Sprint put back the upgrade eligibility on my Account since I used th upgrade elibility for this phone

3) some type of credit for over 7 days without service.  My voicemail has been reset and I cannot access it either.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

Make a rough estimate of how much physical and emotional time you're willing to expend in getting this problem fixed at the local Apple Store and/or local Sprint Store. This includes assertiveness, encouraging dialog between both stores (at time when both stores are open) and a frightenly patient demeanor (take vitamin C prior). If if either store fails to fix it, or you don't wan't to spend the apropriate amount of metaphysical time dealing with it-

1) shoot self in leg with BB gun.

2) when pain subsides, breath slowly and watch something happening in the natural world.

3) realizing it's scale in the thick of everything else that is happening, approach problem from a different perspective.

4) wait for iphone 6.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel your pain, I swapped out a defective iphone 5 at the apple store on monday and still can't get the new one activated! I spent 2 hours at the apple store, another 30 minutes on sprint chat, 1 hour at the sprint store, and another 45 minutes on the phone now...  How hard can this be?????

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello, I definitely want to help. Please send me a private message with your phone number and I can assist you to get this issue resolved. *Paida

Highlighted
Journeyman

Getting a replacement phone from Apple will not fix the problem (I did this 3 times). The problem lies with the account/line associated with the activation and data communication error, definitely Sprint's fault.

Exchanging it for a brand new OEM phone out of the box with a new number fixed my situation.  Yes, I know, that's drastic measures.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does that mean I would have to change my phone number? or just totally return the iphone to the apple store and then re-buy a new one?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ladyhaus It was my last resort.  The Sprint rep I have been working with over the past week activated a brand new OEM phone from the box with a new number (purchased it at 199+tax) and added it to my account.  Once we verified that everything was working (3G, LTE), he deactivated my old phone and refunded it (199+tax), also waiving another activation fee.

So yes, I have a new number now, but switching numbers isn't as bad as I remembered.  Just mass texted everyone my new number and changed my online accounts.  Took about 1.5 hours.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are right, drastic measure... I hope I don't have to go that far with this, it really doesn't make sense how somthing so simple can get so screwed up

Highlighted
Journeyman

I experienced similar issues to those posted on this site and others, when attempting to register a replacement iPhone 5.

Both Apple and Sprint were unable to address the issue ("invalid SIM" or "failed SIM"). Four phones and many hours later - we have success!

I chalk this up to poor training since the solution, once you know it - makes complete sense and because I asked the Rep to appease me and try what I am about to describe (i was looking over his shoulder the entire time).

Every subscriber's phone has associated with it an ICCID. This is a unique serial number details the subscriber's identity, security authentication,  information related to the local network etc. Often, this ICCID is stored on a SIM card. The iPhone has a SIM card. When I first activated the iPhone 5 I recieved via pre-order, my ICCID was associated with that phone/card ESN. Whenever a replacement became available, Apple would swap the SIM (why? is this the correct procedure? Also - it is important to note that theonly reason I went to Apple for a replacement was because I was told to by Sprint eventhough I purchased the phone form them). Swapping SIMS may be important or not - im including this to be thorough.

Whenever an attempt was made to register the phone using the latest phones MEID, the ICCID referenced by Sprint remained associated to the MEID of the original phone. This is why I recieved errors etc when attempting to register online @sprint.com and this is why the phone would temporarily register at the retail store - only to display "invald/failed SIM" within an hour of 'activation.'

When the Rep has your info up on their screen - in the upper third part of the screen towards the right hand side is a text box displaying your account ICCID #. Next to that text field are two buttons - one says "ADD" the other says "SWAP."

The ICCID number for the replacement phone in my possession was not displayed anywhere in my account form. In fact, the ICCID number that did work with my FIRST but defective iphone was visible. HOWEVER, if you click on the ICCID text field, a drop down list appears. In that drop down list was the new ICCID # that must have been entered into the Sprint system at some point when attempting to register online or at one of the Sprint retails stores.

Regardless, click "ADD" or "APPLY" (presumably depending on what you are doing) after selecting the appropriate ICCID # for the phone in your possession, and VIOLA!!!! The phone was officially registered and "invalid SIM"/"failed SIM" disappeared within a minute.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I finally got it figured out thanks to Yaweh3! She really knew what she is doing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm glad I was able to assist you in getting your issue resolved. *Paida

Highlighted
Journeyman

same problem cannot activate my new iphone ...Any help Yaweh3

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat