cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix iPhone 5 3G Data Problems (Confirmed to work)

Journeyman

How to fix iPhone 5 3G Data Problems (Confirmed to work)

We fixed the 3G problem on one of our iPhones this past Sunday.  I would've posted earlier, however, I was advised to wait until today to confirm that the fix works (and it has worked flawlessly since).  It turns out Apple never loaded the "activation policy" that links the serial number of your phone to work on the carrier on our phone.  This is not the same as the SIM lock and is something done on iPhones on their own internal system.

We finally reached a Sprint Tech (ky158151) whom had the foresight and acted on his inclination.  He called Apple on our behalf and was advised indeed the activation policy short.  The tech put the request in to load the activation policy on the phone.  After we got the confirmation that the policy has been loaded we performed a factory reset and set up the phone as new.  15 min later, VOILA! Data!

I would contact Apple first.  The senior rep that I dealth with (REDACTED) whom also can be reached at 1-877-REDACTED.

Please provide them your serial number, ICCID, MEID, as well as your phone number when you contact them to request loading the activation policy that's linked to your phone.

I really hope this fixes it for all of you out there.  The frustration going through this really was something.  I just cannot something like this actually fell through the cracks before shipment.

Tags (5)
90 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: How to fix iPhone 5 3G Data Problems (Confirmed to work)

Ah, other folks beat me to it.

Well, turns out Apple probably updated their backend so a simple restore would fix it.  I would try the restore first, and if that does not work, call Apple to get the activation policy loaded (then factory reset).

Journeyman

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your perserverance on sorting out this issue! I tried myself but could not deal with the frustration I encountered trying to communicate with Sprint's tier 1 tech support.

Just to confirm for everyone else, this DOES work. I did an iTunes restore, activated as a new phone, and only after confirming data was working, set up the phone from the back up. No call or email to Apple was necessary (Joe, you may want to redact that contact info as I suspect this poor guy who finally helped us is going to be inundated with pleas for help).

thanks again JoeFrosty!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was not able to get the phone to work after the restore and the number you listed comes out as invalid when I tried to dial it.

Journeyman

It's not 1-800-REDACTED.  It's 1-800-MY-APPLE.   I'm not sure if the solution has filtered down first tier reps at Apple yet though. 

And it's activation profile linked to your serial number. This is something the carrier has no control over.

Journeyman

On the phone with apple and they're saying that its a Sprint issue once again.  The circle of perpetual torture continues yet again.

Journeyman

I'll send you a PM with the apple contact.

Journeyman

Can you do the same for me?  I just restored from itunes and now I have NO Service at all.

Journeyman

I'll send you a PM with his e-mail.

Please send him your ICCID, MEID and Serial Number

Journeyman

For the rest of ya'll, please call 1-800-MY-APPLE and insist on getting the activation policy loaded.

I don't think I can give out the personal contact information for the senior rep any longer....I'm sure he doesn't want to be bombarded with desparate folks.

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.