cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix iPhone 5 3G Data Problems (Confirmed to work)

Highlighted
Journeyman

How to fix iPhone 5 3G Data Problems (Confirmed to work)

We fixed the 3G problem on one of our iPhones this past Sunday.  I would've posted earlier, however, I was advised to wait until today to confirm that the fix works (and it has worked flawlessly since).  It turns out Apple never loaded the "activation policy" that links the serial number of your phone to work on the carrier on our phone.  This is not the same as the SIM lock and is something done on iPhones on their own internal system.

We finally reached a Sprint Tech (ky158151) whom had the foresight and acted on his inclination.  He called Apple on our behalf and was advised indeed the activation policy short.  The tech put the request in to load the activation policy on the phone.  After we got the confirmation that the policy has been loaded we performed a factory reset and set up the phone as new.  15 min later, VOILA! Data!

I would contact Apple first.  The senior rep that I dealth with (REDACTED) whom also can be reached at 1-877-REDACTED.

Please provide them your serial number, ICCID, MEID, as well as your phone number when you contact them to request loading the activation policy that's linked to your phone.

I really hope this fixes it for all of you out there.  The frustration going through this really was something.  I just cannot something like this actually fell through the cracks before shipment.

90 REPLIES 90
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got off the phone with Apple (called 800-MY-APPLE).  You should't call Joe's contact that he previously listed as they need a case number assigned to it before they can handle it.

When I called in, I talked to the level 1 tech and after explaining the issue, he said this is above his level and pushed me up to an "ios Senior Advisor".  The senior advisor first gave me his name and call back number and stated that he owns this problem now until it is resolved.  Wow - what a difference in handling versus the Sprint techs! 

The senior advisor looked up my serial number and confirmed that there is not an activation policy loaded on the phone.  However, to get the policy loaded, he had to open an internal ticket and said it could take 24-48 hours to get this done but it usually is much quicker.  I am awaiting his call back to proceed with the backup/restore.

Bottom line - if the backup/restore is not working by itself, you need to call in and get them to load the activation policy.

I will post back when I have heard back from Apple.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called Apple and they told me the same thing.  They transferred me to a senior rep and he knew about the activation profile and he told me that my phone had never had an activation profile so he took some info from me and sent it to the tech.  Told me to wait 2-12 hours and try restoring my phone again.  I will let everyone know if it works.

Ask for a senior rep if need be!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have experienced the same problems. Sprint actually notified me today that they are closing my trouble ticket because the situtation is an ongoing problem between Sprint and the iPhone 5. After 3 weeks of this I requested that I get some compensation towards an early termination fee. Sprint tells me" they will not lower my early termination fee because even though I cannot get data, I still can use the phone for voice." I could not believe they were actually telling me this. I wanted to scream! Then I tell them the reason I have a smart phone is to be able to access the Internet on a mobile platform. The lady then tells me, "but you can still access WiFi. That is good enough and we do not charge your for that."  I seriously could not believe my ears. What is wrong with this company? I have had enough. What a waste of time and money I have gone through.

Just a little background, Apple has replaced the phone 4 times and no matter who I talk to at Sprint or what Sprint store I go to, they cannot fix the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did talk to a senior rep and I was told that if the activation profile/policy was not loaded I would not be able to activate my iphone in the first place. He rattled off my info (iccid, imei) without me telling him. To which I did ask is it possible to have it reloaded and the answer was no. So I was referred to sprint and the tech was useless so I did not even bother to ask if a reprovisioning is needed, because I know what the answer is..no.

The first rep (apple) was kind of annoying, kept referring to data useage,that wifi should be turned on. WTH. Maybe it was my luck that the first rep (apple) was useless, but then I was referred to an senior rep and thats when I was told that the profile is loaded otherwise I can not activate my phone. The guy was nice enough, but nice don't fix my problem.  sigh.

I am going to backup my phone and do a restore. Maybe it will help. Really makes me miss my HTC EVO lately...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had absolutely no 3G data.  For a whole week, 3G usage was 0kb.  This should fix the problem of the "circle of death"

stevejarek wrote:

Joe did you have no data at all? would this fix the problem where im constantly getting dropped down to the o edge network?

Journeyman

This is almost unconscionable.  I would try sending a PM to one of the techs that monitor these forums and ask the ETF to be waived.  If they won't waive it (which in my opinion is really really poor foresight on their end), read the TOS very carefully.....

In the mean time, please please try the fix I posted.  It works.

ckeilson wrote:

I have experienced the same problems. Sprint actually notified me today that they are closing my trouble ticket because the situtation is an ongoing problem between Sprint and the iPhone 5. After 3 weeks of this I requested that I get some compensation towards an early termination fee. Sprint tells me" they will not lower my early termination fee because even though I cannot get data, I still can use the phone for voice." I could not believe they were actually telling me this. I wanted to scream! Then I tell them the reason I have a smart phone is to be able to access the Internet on a mobile platform. The lady then tells me, "but you can still access WiFi. That is good enough and we do not charge your for that."  I seriously could not believe my ears. What is wrong with this company? I have had enough. What a waste of time and money I have gone through.

Just a little background, Apple has replaced the phone 4 times and no matter who I talk to at Sprint or what Sprint store I go to, they cannot fix the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The rep you got obviously didn't get the memo.  I hate the arrogance of Apple sometimes.  They think they know it all.  Retail stores and phone both included...thankfully not all are like that.

I activated on the voice (and LTE) network probably around 20-30x just fine without the activation profile loaded.  Absolutely no 3G data until that was loaded.

If you still have issues reaching an Apple rep that knows what they're doing (all they really have to do is send an internal chat/email to their engineers.....then wait 24-48 hours) I would PM ky158151.  ky158151 is who helped me get my phone fixed so he knows exactly what to do.  I don't think he works on the weekends though; so your next best bet is PM the other Sprint techs on these forums.

BlakSkyz wrote:

I did talk to a senior rep and I was told that if the activation profile/policy was not loaded I would not be able to activate my iphone in the first place. He rattled off my info (iccid, imei) without me telling him. To which I did ask is it possible to have it reloaded and the answer was no. So I was referred to sprint and the tech was useless so I did not even bother to ask if a reprovisioning is needed, because I know what the answer is..no.

The first rep (apple) was kind of annoying, kept referring to data useage,that wifi should be turned on. WTH. Maybe it was my luck that the first rep (apple) was useless, but then I was referred to an senior rep and thats when I was told that the profile is loaded otherwise I can not activate my phone. The guy was nice enough, but nice don't fix my problem.  sigh.

I am going to backup my phone and do a restore. Maybe it will help. Really makes me miss my HTC EVO lately...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I will try the fix when I get home and have access to the phone again. I got tired of carying a smart phone with me that did not have data so I just forwarded my number to a different line until it was fixed.

I will also talk to a tach on this forum if I can figure out how to do that.

Regards,

Chris

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea.  I really hope it works.  Sprint isn't that bad when it works.........

I briefly read the TOS and I think the below section is relevant to you.  I bolded the parts I think needs some emphasis.  As a commoner, what I take from the terms are the speeds are not guaranteed but, it's a totally different animal with this issue because data cannot be used at all....

So my point is, if you can't get your phone to work, I would insist on getting the ETF waived since you're not even getting the darn thing to work.......It's not the consumers job to get a hardware and cell network to work together (Apple's fault or not).

Coverage; Where Your Device Will Work; Service Speeds

Our coverage maps are available at our authorized retail locations and on our website. The specific network coverage you get will depend on the radio transmissions your Device can pick up and Services you've chosen. Our coverage maps provide high level estimates of our coverage areas when using Services outdoors under optimal conditions. Coverage isn't available everywhere. Coverage and Service speeds are not guaranteed. Coverage is subject to change without notice. Service speeds may depend on the Service purchased. Actual speeds will vary. Estimating wireless coverage, signal strength, and Service speed is not an exact science. There are gaps in coverage within our estimated coverage areas that—along with other factors both within and beyond our control (for example, network problems, network or internet congestion, software, signal strength, your Device, structures, buildings, weather, geography, topography, server speeds of the websites you access, actions of third parties, etc.)—may result in dropped and blocked connections, slower Service speeds, or otherwise impact the quality of Service. Services that rely on location information, such as E911 and GPS navigation, depend on your Device's ability to acquire satellite signals (typically not available indoors) and network coverage. While your Device is receiving a software update, you may be unable to use your Device in any manner until the software update is complete.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you again. We still have two other lines on our account. You would think with all the trouble we have faced they would do the right thing and try to ease some of the pain we have been experiencing. Thanks for the recommendations.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, completely lost 3g after the restore. But on the bright side, I did finally get an senior rep (apple) and he saw that my profile was not active. He took my info, and my wife's iphone info and submitted it to the engineers. I mentioned that I had talked to a another senior rep earlier and he stated that my profile was loaded. The new rep said, that there was another link on his page and he clicked it and saw that the carrier profile was indeed not loaded.

Thank goodness this rep knew what to do. I asked him if it was only sprint, and he stated no..its the other carriers also. The fact that it is supposed to be done at the factory, but since its a new iphone and cranking out the products there will be phones that do not get the activation profile loaded.

Told me that once he is notified that the profile is loaded for both iphones, he will contact me. He said it should be 24-48 hrs, worse case scenario Monday, perform a backup if need be and restore.  I say,  as long as it is taken care of and works that is all that matters.

Thanks again JoeFrosty!

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's good news BlakSkyz.  This sounds very promising that several of us have got through to the Senior Advisor's and they all acknowledged that the activation profiles were not loaded.  It's a pain to wait another 24-48 hours, but it really does sound like this is the final solution now.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat