cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid SIM/SIM Failure Message?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Invalid SIM/SIM Failure Message?

So currently my iphone 5 isn't activated yet. I don't know whether this has to do with the iphone keep showing the message "Invalid SIM" or "SIM Failure". Is anyone having this issue? I had my phone exchanged at Apple yesterday because of an issue with the previous phone, I'm using the same SIM card I was using on my previous iphone that I received from Sprint (On Friday).

I've tried restarting the phone, the Airplane mode trick, as well as taking the sim card out and re-inserting it. the message always comes back.

I'm been dealing with this iphone activation thing for the entire weekend and I'm really sick of it.

Tags (4)
29 REPLIES 29
Wizard

Re: Invalid SIM/SIM Failure Message?

Try cleaning the SIM card with denatured alcohol and see if that fixes it.

Journeyman

I would like to thank the technical support at Sprint for helping me figure out my "Invalid SIM" problem.  My iPhone 5 was working fine until the iOS6.0.1 update from Apple and when I updated, it threw my SIM card out.  (My wife's iPhone 5 was unaffected.) Apple replaced the phone, but told me to keep the same SIM card.  The catch was this: I had since moved to Canada for work, and I was trying to establish the SIM card on "foreign soil." One of the Sprint techs suggested I go across the border into Montana and try to fix it that way.  It was indeed the fix, and the SIM card is functioning normally again. The moral of the story is this: if you have a U.S.-based Sprint phone in Canada, do not do updates while in Canadian airspace.  There is just enough difference between the networks to make them imcompatible.

Journeyman

Same problem here.  No way to fix but to get a new phone?

Journeyman

The new phone helped (and I had Apple Care so they covered the costs including overnight shipping), but the key issue (if you're living/working in Canada with a U.S.-based phone) is to make sure when you get the new phone, you reconfigure the SIM card IN THE UNITED STATES.  The SIM cards are not usually the "bad guy"--it's the fact that configuring a phone + SIM card must be done in the country of the phone's origin.  Now if you are in the U.S. with a U.S. phone having this problem, call 1-800-My Apple and they can usually give you a "work-around" to get this fixed without a new phone. (You may have to do total restore, etc.  They have a 5 step plan to reconnect a SIM card on Apple's site, and you should try all of the steps before calling.)  Hope this helps.

Wizard

Is this happening on the iPhone 5 after updating to the iOS 6.0.1 update?

Journeyman

Yes, for me it did.  Interestingly, it happened only to me and not my wife even though I updated her phone the exact same evening.  I'm told it is quite random in that it seems to knock some phones off of the SIM card, and not others.

Wizard

Please send me a private message with your phone number and pin number. I will give you instructions to complete the workaround.

Journeyman

Hi, I am having the same issue. I recently updated to 6.0.1 tonight and it has known invalid sim 3 times. I've resetted my phone, re-inserted the sim and restored my phone. Please help.

Journeyman

I'm having the exact same issue. Upgraded the OS to 6.0.1 yesterday (11/15) mid day and since then it gave me invalid SIM at least 10 times. Looks like when it's switching cellular to wi-fi or vice-versa or lost cellular connection and then trying to reconnect to the network it's getting the error.

My couple of friends has AT&T and same iPhone 5. He upgraded about 10 days ago to this OS. He is fine. I had AT&T before. Now I'm thinking why did I switch to sprint?

Certainly did not expect this from apple/sprint!!!

Journeyman

How did you guys updated? I updated through over the air and I'm reading that may be the cause. I'm reading a new sim card may be the fix. Ask for a new sim from apple or sprint. I'm going to apple today after work...

Journeyman

I have the same issue. Installed iOS6.1 and started getting an invalid SIM error every 30 mins or so. The problem goes away for 30 min if you shut the phone down and then turn on.

I've been spending my morning and afternoon chatting with 3 Sprint heroes at ecare who have all told me to do various antics that have resulted in NOTHING. Considering this seems to be a prevalant issue I would think their people have some kind of miniscule clue on how to solve the problem or at least placate customers and not make us run in wild goose chases.

Additionally, Sprint should have the decency to send out a message about the issue and encourage customers not to update their software till a fix is found.

My fault for going with Sprint and its sub-par network and now, customer service. If this continues, I am taking my business elsewhere.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat