Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid SIM/SIM Failure Message?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Invalid SIM/SIM Failure Message?

So currently my iphone 5 isn't activated yet. I don't know whether this has to do with the iphone keep showing the message "Invalid SIM" or "SIM Failure". Is anyone having this issue? I had my phone exchanged at Apple yesterday because of an issue with the previous phone, I'm using the same SIM card I was using on my previous iphone that I received from Sprint (On Friday).

I've tried restarting the phone, the Airplane mode trick, as well as taking the sim card out and re-inserting it. the message always comes back.

I'm been dealing with this iphone activation thing for the entire weekend and I'm really sick of it.

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Wizard

1. Ensure a good cellular connection. Turn off wifi and connect to 3G or LTE and open Safari browser to confirm cellular connection.

2. Powercycle the device

3. Wait 15 minutes, and if no error is received, the issue has been addressed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the response Ky158151 but that won't resolve the issue. I've turned on/off wifi/airplane mode, removed the sim, put it back in, etc.

I'm going to Apple later to ask for a new sim and will report. Sprint may need to make an announcement or train its employees on this issue and may have to issue new sims.

Highlighted
Wizard

We have acknowledged that it is a device known issue after the 6.0.1 update. The workaround has provided some success, we are still investigating the root cause and more possible solutions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To ky158151:

I have powered off the way you have suggested, reset, done something else with a code a sprint customer rep told me to do. All to no avail.

I made an appointment at the Apple store as I can only hope that they are able to fix it.

I was also told by the Sprint reps that I could not get a new SIM card as Sprint does not issue them to people with SIM issues. I don't get it. This whole thing is extremely frustrating since it's clear from the threads that a new SIM would help the issue.

Highlighted
Wizard

We are working towards a permanment solution. Sprint stores should have SIM cards in stock.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will sprint replace the SIM cards if the phones are having this issue, KY?
I plan on going today after work in 2 hours myself since I do not have an Apple store near me.

(Please see my thread somewhere around this one for a similar problem).

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint store should replace the SIM cards if it is having a problem.

Highlighted
Wizard

After calling around to some Sprint stores, not all carry the SIM cards, be sure to call first before visiting any Sprint stores.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Called Sprint at 866-866-7509. They suggested same steps as ky158151 earlier today in this thread. I followed those steps and so far 45 mins gone by, no problems. Keeping fingers crossed!

Customer rep called me back to check on the issue too after 30 mins. According to him now I can turn wi-fi back on, But I would wait until tomorrow or so.

Do not go to any sprint or apple store for help. They will not help. First call the number above.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is the deal all after you update. Go to Sprint or Apple ask for a new SIM card. After that call Sprint and get it activated. Then they will reset your phone from their end. Then they will tell you to reset all settings by going to General>Settings>Reset>Reset all settings. Please do so with them on the phone. Call from another phone also, Sprint rocks. They are aware and are working with Apple for future updates to eliminate this problem. Also try to update from a PC not Over the Air 🙂 God Bless all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is the deal all after you update. Go to Sprint or Apple ask for a new SIM card. After that call Sprint and get it activated. Then they will reset your phone from their end. Then they will tell you to reset all settings by going to General>Settings>Reset>Reset all settings. Please do so with them on the phone. Call from another phone also, Sprint rocks. They are aware and are working with Apple for future updates to eliminate this problem. Also try to update from a PC not Over the Air 🙂 God Bless all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

went to apple store and they issued me a new phone on 6.0

i took the phone home and updated to newest firmware BUT i took the sim card out during the process. waited for it to finish then popped the card back in. so far no issues!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat