cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5 impossible to get a SIM even with account

Highlighted
Journeyman

Iphone 5 impossible to get a SIM even with account

Ok so I bought a used Iphone 5 (not unlocked, completely original and stock) for my current Sprint contract when my old phone broke. Before completing the purchase I called Sprint to make sure the phone had a good ESN and would work with Sprint. Upon receiving the phone, I reset it to erase the old owner's information which prompted the initial setup where you specify language, country, etc. At this point the phone informed me that there was no sim card installed and would not let me get to any menu or screen other than the initial setup. I went to a Sprint repair and service center where I was informed that they do give out SIM cards but were currently out of stock. They then called the other stores and repair centers in town upon my request (should have volunteered for good customer service) and said that no one in the area had any. I informed them that I had no phone and requested to be put in contact with Sprint customer service in the store. The first person to answer the phone told me that they did have SIMs and was going to check where I could get one when he hung up on me. I called back, and the woman who answered this time said Sprint didn't use any phones with SIMs and couldn't get me one. She then continued to insist that I contact the insurance for my phone and get a new one. I couldn't get her to leave that idea so I hung up after saying "that won't work but thank you." I informed the Sprint employee at the store who just gave me a dumb look and said there was nothing sprint could do.

I then proceeded to go to the Apple store 15 miles away where I was placed in line for an apple person who was having a conversation with another Sprint customer about her Iphone and a SIM card. This lady lost her SIM card and was going out of the country (Iphones require a SIM during use only when out of the country). She had a Sprint account but was informed that she could only get one from Apple. The Apple person informed her that it didn't work that way and that only ATT and Tmobile used SIMs and that was all they had. They suggested that she go to the ATT booth in the mall. I told them that my aunt had recently gone to France with a Sprint Iphone and that was not true. When it was my turn, they told me that there was no way I could get a SIM for my Spirnt Iphone.

I left upset, but on my way to my car I thought I could ask them just to get me to a menu so I could at least mess around with the phone and went back. The lady was busy, but a new guy helped me out. He used a dummy Sprint SIM that they had in the store to get the phone to the menu (a SIM that supposedly didn't exist). I then told him my problem about activating the phone with Sprint and he totally understood and called the back room to get me a SIM. He let me have it for free.

I then went to the Sprint website to activate the phone, but the website said that that page was unavailable. So I called and the automation broke down and sent me to a CS person who said that they weren't allowed to activate any more because it was self service. I informed him of what happened with the self service and he contacted someone and was then able to activate my phone.

My question is: Is Sprint just completely retarded with the way Iphones work with SIMs. I'm a customer and just needed a little piece of plastic. They not only wouldn't provide one but refused to acknowledge their existence. And the communication they have with the phone manufacturers is apparently just as bad. Has anyone else had this problem. Is there an easier way to activate a Sprint Iphone.

26 REPLIES 26
Journeyman

Re: Iphone 5 impossible to get a SIM even with account

McqueensTriumph,

Thank you for posting and bringing your situation to our attention. I apologize for the misunderstanding in regards to your sim card issue. I'm sorry to hear that our Sprint store did not have any sim cards available at the time. I'm glad to hear that the confusion was cleared up at the Apple store and you were finally able to activate your device. If you have any other questions or require assistance with anything please let me know. Thank you for being a valued Sprint customer and Have a Great Day.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I have an active line of service on Sprint with my iPhone 4S. Works fine

uses a micro SIM.

I have a used Sprint iPhone 5 which is not activated on the Sprint network

but I want to activate it with the same phone number as my current 4S

I want to Swap devices.

The iPhone 5 does not have a SIM. It uses a nano SIM.

I called Sprint support and got a very nice lady who said it should be

no problem getting a SIM from a Sprint Sales and Service location and

even credited my account for $49 to offset any cost.

EXCEPT none of the Sprint Sales and Service locations say they have

any SIMs for the iPhone 5.

I am in a large city (Chicago) and none of the service locations admit to having

a SIM to sell me.

What can I do. I just want to swap devices.

Thanks in advance.

J

Journeyman

_jimthepcguy,

Thank you for posting and reaching out to us in regards to your situation. Have you visited your local Apple store to see if they have any sim cards available for your device? Please let me know.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

No I have not. Only because it's more of a hardship to get there than a Sprint facility.

J

Journeyman

_jimthepcguy,

If visiting an Apple store is not a viable option for you, please reach out to our international chat department to see if they can assist with getting you a sim card. You can contact an international chat representative by visiting: http://bit.ly/IXZ6ZQ

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Charles thank you so much.

I contacted International Chat and they are shipping out an iPhone 5 SIM.

I could not have done this without your help.

Thanks again,

J

Journeyman

_jimthepcguy,

Awesome! Glad I was able to help. If you have any other questions or require assistance please feel free to post and let me know. Thank you for being a valued Sprint customer and Have a Great Day!

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I finally got some good advice yesterday (12/10/13) from a sales person at a Sprint store near me (in Union, NJ) to call *2 and requested a new nano SIM for my used iPhone 5. The Sprint customer service person transferred me to the International Dept. who said they will mail me a free nano SIM (free postage for 3-5 business days via regular mail or $13 for overnight service). I opted for the free postage and await its delivery to activate the phone with my current number. I should have called *2 and asked earlier, but I didn't want to wait for a new SIM in the mail.

This was after over a week of trying/waiting for Sprint stores locally around Summit/Short Hills, NJ where I live to see if any were available. I have 12 months left on my iPhone 4S contract and bought a used iPhone 5 on ebay which came without the nano SIM ("No SIM" where it normally says the carrier) and got it in the mail on right after the Thanksgiving holiday. I called a total of 6 stores. One store in Clark, NJ (I don't think it's a company owned store) said they had one, but I had to pay $25 for it. Another in Livingston, NJ (a non-company owned store) said they could order one for $10 with a 1-2 day delivery time to the store. All company owned stores, including the 3 on Route 22 (in Union, Union and North Plainfield) said they are out of stock of nano SIMs for the 5 and to just keep calling back to check.

The expertise of Sprint store associates ranges from extremely knowledgeable to clueless. I also called the Apple Store at the Mall at Short Hills, but they said they didn't have any iPhone 5 nano SIMs and that I need to get it from Sprint. After 2 weeks of checking daily with these 3 stores, I finally got good advice from someone at one of the stores to call Sprint. I should have done that the first day I tried to activate the phone, regardless of the fact that none of the people I dealt with at the Sprint stores had suggested that.

Lastly, I am on Sprint only because of the unlimited data plan, but the data speeds in this part of NJ Summit-Short Hills-Madison, are extremly slow to non-existent. I find my phone roaming to the "Extended" network regularly for voice calls. Many times I can't even use my phone to call because it's only one dot of signal. I even had to get a free Femtocell boxes to be able to use my unlimited voice minutes last year for my home (which I don't use anymore as I have moved and have a strong voice signal, but data speeds still suck). I have never used over 1GB of data per billing cycle as I use the wifi connection at home or at work as much as possible to get the faster data speeds. My wife has an iPhone 5 on Verizon's network and the 4GLTE is really fast. If I don't see a material increase in data speeds in my area in the next 12 months when my contract expires in Jan 2015, I will be switching to Verizon even though it will cost me to access faster data. Right now, I am paying for data that I don't even use.

Journeyman

Update 12/12/13. I bought my wife a new iPhone 5S 32GB Gold (Verizon) at the Apple Store at the Mall at Short Hills today, and while they were setting it up, I asked the Apple dude if they had any Sprint nano SIMs for iPhone 5's, and he said, "...sure, I'll give you one..." (like no problem... though I didn't ask if they had a lot or mention the hassle I had to track one down or tell him that I called two days ago and the guy answering the phone said they didn't have any and didn't know if they'd get any more). I just took it and was thankful to have it. Btw, got a confirmation email from sprint yesterday that my free nano SIM is in the mail (UPS ground from KY), scheduled to arrive Monday, 12/16/13. I told my work colleague who also bought a used iPhone 5 with NO SIM that I'll give that to him to spare him the hassle.

Master

mediumbeer, 

Thank you for the update.  Our international department is the best way to get a new or replacement SIM (UICC). I apologize for the runaround but I'm glad you were able to get one.  I would keep the other SIM card as back up just in case.  

As for the service, please share your zip code and nearby cross streets so I can take a look at coverage. 

Dania
Social Care

Journeyman

I have the exact same problem now, I've been trying to get my iphone 5s activated all week! I doubt I'll get a SIM card for free though. I wish sprint would just help me out instead of trying to send me to the apple store! I went into the store an they told me they sim was active on another account, and said nothing about giving me a new one since I already have their services...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat