cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5 service Problems?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Iphone 5 service Problems?

Well I received my 32GB Iphone 5 on 9/21 at 3pm ET and ever since then I have been having problems with the service. I live in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and between 2 countys I am getting 1 bar with data speeds slower than edge speed or full bars or 1 or 2 bars missing with a circle for the data speed and it cuts off a lot between 3G and the circle (no data) a lot, and because of that Imessage is not working right so I can't see when someone types messages to me or reads my messages, Siri keeps messing up a lot because of data speeds and it keeps getting disconnected, reminders cannot remind me of any reminders via location, and Facebook and Instagram always seem to load way slower then edge speeds. I had called sprint a few times about this and they cannot seem to help me out on the phone and for no reason once some rep put me on hold for about 7 minutes for what he said was to look up more info about the problem, but without notice he transferred me to a supervisor witch I was on the phone with less than 2 minutes and we hung up and got nowhere, then another time I was transferred to another department and I had to repeat my story as I did to the 1st rep just for them not to know anything and we hung up and all I did was go in the circles. I am starting to get fed up because basically I am getting no help with my phone and it is not working and in the state the phone/service is in the phone is pretty much unless. Is any one else in Florida and any where else in the United States havinf problems like mine or any service problems at all let me know please. Also, I would like an answer on what to do to fix this asap? please and thanks before I end up loosing it with sprint.

279 REPLIES 279
Highlighted
Journeyman

It has been a comedy of errors especially with the horrible customer service of both Sprint & Apple. The apple store told me that they can't do anything for me and I should 'go talk to Sprint' about getting a new SIM card for the phone since they don't have any 'current' SIM cards....   After going to the Sprint store in the mall and getting nowhere with the reps, I went back to the Apple store and this same girl told me that "we are all booked up tonight & tomorrow but she 'could try' to get me an appointment with someone on Sunday.

Note, this is the THIRD phone.  Phone number one got nearly no service, phone number 2 would not charge and this Apple employee told me in a very condescending tone 'it looks like there is no physical damage' usually when it doesn't charge it is because the phone was dropped or abused.  Phone three never activated on the Sprint network even after being promised that I would be 'activated' within one hour -- still says invalid SIM.

Highlighted
Journeyman

*2 or 888-211-4727

And yes you have to activate you old phone first.  Sprint really has no clue.  But I assure this I why happened.  You have to get the iPhone off the system completely . I tried to just call in and have them remove it.  Of course the rep was so arrogant . He sent me thought the same trouble shooting Mumbo jumbo.  Even after I told him the sim may be the problem.  Don't listen to them and don't take no for an Answer.  Just activate another phone wait an then call back and enter the iPhone 5 info.  This is what happens when you think customers don't do research.  Sprint still failed here.  I say the owe me a check or some free service for teaching them how their own network work}}}

This third IPHONE says 'invalid' SIM. A Sprint technician told me that Apple must have 'swapped' the old SIM card from the phone they swapped out and put in the new phone and to go back to the Apple store for a SIM card. Well, I mentioned how that worked out. How about paying for service that I cannot use?? I have not had a working phone since last Saturday (the Iphone 5 I preordered worked well for I think the first hour or so) and even worse the HTC EVO 3D I was using before was deactivated and now can only be used as a paperweight.

I am sorry but I don't have time to do the jobs of the technicians and make small talk with the blue shirts at the Apple store while they act like they are 'attempting' to fix the problem.  If I didn't have another 12 months left of this Sprint contract I would tell them where they could stick the Iphone.

The only thing I will be going back to the Apple store for is a full refund. If I don't get that I will just initiate a chargeback with my credit card issuer.  So is Sprint going to at least be able to honor the upgrade on another phone (that I willl buy from then so they will be accountable) or will I be expected to continue paying $130+ a month for service I can't use?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@nick9075

sounds like I am having similar programs to @Bigj0110 and some of the others. I returned my first iPhone 5 because each time I accessed data through wifi and then went to 3g the data would hang and I had to switch to airplane mode and back until it worked again. My second phone was activated (phone and text work) but the data will not work. I see a 3g briefly and then a o - it switches back and forth constantly. I spent 4-5 hours on the phone with Sprint each time being told it was the phone and they literally had nothing else they could do. I finally went back to the Apple store and they laughed and said its Sprint's network and will give you another phone to prove it. I took the 3rd phone directly to the sprint store where the rep was on the phone with tech support for 90 minutes - nothing. I called Sprint and have reactivated my iPhone 4. 

nick9075 - i tried the steps you noted above but they dont seem to be working - I reactivated my old phone -  waited a bit - called back and added the iPhone 5 and still no data.

Any other tips - im at a loss, how can this be happening. thanks everyone

Highlighted
Journeyman

airrave.

its the service. i swapped my phone and simcard today and it is 100000% exactly the same as before

i just ordered an aiirave, it works fine everywhere except for my home

Highlighted
Journeyman

I used to work for third party Sprint at a authorized retailer. iPhone SIM cards are actually for GSM international use. The phone doesn't need it to survive. Half we sold in store didn't come with them. Mind you, working for Sprint, I tried a ton of phones. I had the EVO Shift, EVO 4G LTE, GSIII, iPhone 4s, Razr, Sanyo S1, etc. I've had my iPhone for a day now. It worked for about an hour. Then stopped. I can't do anything but call out. It won't even let me connect to Wifi at all. I've never had so many problems with a phone. I've ##873283# it numerous times. I hard reset it through powercycle. I completely wiped it. I reset network. I've toggled all cellular connections. Still nothing. I know when I worked for Sprint, they never said 4G LTE was beta. They talked it up like the next big thing. Then they started shutting it off in parts of our city. Knowing Sprint and how much they have effed me over in the past year, I have little to no faith in them. I'm lucky at this point that I bought the 5 outright and by being on an employee account still, I have no ETF. I may just sell the iPhone and go back to AT&T. Unlimited data was the ONLY positive about Sprint. But what good is that when the crap isn't working? I have an airave as well. The airave doesn't even support my small 4 room house. It had NO effect on the iPhone. Basically, Sprint should be giving us all service credits. That's my biggest reccomendation to everyone. Call them. Blow up their shizz. Even if you take the phone back. They should give credits to everyone being screwed by their dragging feet and outdated footprints.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I knew already they where outdated, but why did Apple let Sprint get it then if they knew that thats what I don't get. Also, is the network upgreads they are doing now with the 3G and LTE is that goiung to fix are problems?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Its not Apple's fault.  Its up to Sprint to have a network to support it. If Ferrari sells a car its not their repsonsibility to make sure you have gas stations in your area.

The iPhone is meant for LTE, Sprint only has those in the southeast, everywhere else on their map is bare or 3G. 3G is what the iPhone 4 and 3 used, even back when 4S was released it looks like people were complaining too bad I did read those posts first I was too excited.

Go look on the Sprint Android boards on this site, those LTE droid people are complaining about the same thing. Unusable phones because of really slow 3G.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well everyone I know in my area with an android phone on Sprint's network has told me, Before the iPhone launch, the day of the iPhone launch and after the iPhone launch their phone has been nothing but exceptional as far as data speeds, coverage and full bars Constantly. But people on this form with an iPhone 5 that are around my area have reported pretty much the same thing as me very little to no data Tri-County and 1 or 2 bars Tri-County as well, and saying their iPhone is pretty much useless like mine is as well because of that

Journeyman

I hope all of you get it sorted out and have a good iPhone experience with Sprint. Being that I got mine on launch day and started with a difficult activation, visual voicemail problems, then intermittent 3G I decided to use the 14 day policy. I am in L.A. and every major carrier has LTE running, friends have 40 Mbps down / 30 Mbps up I was getting 0.48 Mbps down / .03 Mbps up , so no reason for me to wait for Sprint to turn their towers on.

Good luck to all and goodbye Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Its been a comedy of errors trying to get this phone activated..

I goto the store today.  The person helping me was on the phone with someone who he said was the 'Sprint Rep' for the store. Supposedly they cannot 'associate the ESN of the Phone with my account or SIM card'? or something like that. I was told I had to wait 48 hours from the time they activated this phone (on Thursday it was no more than 24 hours) and the phone was in "partial activation status".  The Apple Store employee gave me the name & number of this rep (Tania) who he said would call me this afternoon to see if the phone was activated. No one called. When I called this direct number of this Sprint 'rep' I just got a generic voicemail - no one has called me back.

Oh and Apple told me that they have no 64GB phones for Sprint in stock and no other store in the Boston area does either.

Next week I goto back to Apple with the Phone (who I originally ordered it from) and get (all of ) my money back and then somehow have to get Sprint to 'put back' the upgrade on my account since I used my upgrade eligibility to pre order this Iphone.

Seriously, the BS is mindboggling I can tell BS and BS excuses a mile away. The only reason why I am keeping my cool and acting very professionally at the Apple store is because it is more high class than your average mall store and many of the customers are in white collar industries -- I don't want my professional reputation to be ruined if I went off on the Apple employees.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well the Apple store I go to in Florida has been more then helpful and they switch my phone out no questions asked because in less then one second they see what is happening on all 4 devices & I kind of believe Apple because I'm not the only one in my area or nation wide on sprint with the iPhone 5 having the same problems. If you want to loose your cool then loose it with Sprint and I would suggest you do so because Sprint refuses to understand or acknowledge there own problem

Highlighted
Journeyman

Also, Sprint reps where are you? normally you reps would have chimed in by now and I find that a little fishy that not one rep has said a word on it. Please one of you reps come in and shed some light on what's going on and if u can shed some light on what Sprint is doing to fix this that would be great

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat