cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5 service Problems?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Iphone 5 service Problems?

Well I received my 32GB Iphone 5 on 9/21 at 3pm ET and ever since then I have been having problems with the service. I live in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and between 2 countys I am getting 1 bar with data speeds slower than edge speed or full bars or 1 or 2 bars missing with a circle for the data speed and it cuts off a lot between 3G and the circle (no data) a lot, and because of that Imessage is not working right so I can't see when someone types messages to me or reads my messages, Siri keeps messing up a lot because of data speeds and it keeps getting disconnected, reminders cannot remind me of any reminders via location, and Facebook and Instagram always seem to load way slower then edge speeds. I had called sprint a few times about this and they cannot seem to help me out on the phone and for no reason once some rep put me on hold for about 7 minutes for what he said was to look up more info about the problem, but without notice he transferred me to a supervisor witch I was on the phone with less than 2 minutes and we hung up and got nowhere, then another time I was transferred to another department and I had to repeat my story as I did to the 1st rep just for them not to know anything and we hung up and all I did was go in the circles. I am starting to get fed up because basically I am getting no help with my phone and it is not working and in the state the phone/service is in the phone is pretty much unless. Is any one else in Florida and any where else in the United States havinf problems like mine or any service problems at all let me know please. Also, I would like an answer on what to do to fix this asap? please and thanks before I end up loosing it with sprint.

279 REPLIES 279
Highlighted
Wizard

Charbelll posted a solution to his iphone 5 data network unavailable see http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/487234#487234 and see if it works for you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did that more then once on different devices and I happened to do it again just for kicks beause I seen that post befor you posted it here and no luck all the times even now, it seems like every thing I do does not work and Sprint(on the phone: normal reps, normal reps supervisor, floor GM's, Oklahoma City ticket support, Oklahoma City ticket support supervisor, or corporate) Apple(Apple store or on ther phone) is no help at all for me as well. I don't care if it is Sprint, Apple or booth compines problem I just want a fix for these problems not to be left in the dark about it form every end and if they truly don't know the cause of the problem or the problem it's self yet atleast let us know that and not tell us BS that leads us to a 100% dead end

Highlighted
Journeyman

Apple rep called me back today. He confirmed that the activation profile is now loaded. He said to turn the phone off for 15 minutes and see if it is OK and if that didn't work, to do the backup/restore. After 15 minutes, no-go, but after the backup/restore - FIXED!!! Don't really know why he would suggest the 15 minute option.

Also, FYI, I didn't do the activation between the backup/restore. I just did a backup, then chose restore which reloads the OS/firmware, then after reboot, chose restore again with the previous backup. After restarting, it showed "Waiting for Activation" for a couple of minutes, then went to activated status. The first hit on a web page in Safari quickly showed the dreaded "o", but then jumped right to 3G and stayed there. I was able to load web page after web page and they all came up (fairly) quickly on 3G.

This problem is now fixed! It's a shame that it took from launch day of the iPhone 5 until today to get it fixed. In the end, this did end up being an Apple problem with not having the activation profile loaded, but Sprint should have been able to figure this out. Also, shame on Sprint for repeatedly telling me at least a dozen times that someone would call me back to resolve the issue and they never did. Yes, one person there did finally give me a call this last week to follow up, but he was unable to resolve it and passed it to someone else who he said would call me - and they didn't. Come on Sprint, own the problem! The first thing the Senior Apple Advisor told me was "My name is Clay and I own your problem until it is resolved".

Highlighted
Journeyman

here is another update(10/25) well so far nothing has really changed in terms of improved service with the data infact it is getting worst because now iMessage would act like the messages failed to send majority of the time but in reality it does send to the person even though it said that it failed to send and some times even more then once. Also, it would say that it is sending it as an iMessage but then the person gets it as a text message as well. As far the service with the calling nothing has inproved and now besides a high % of drop calles and a lot of choppy calls I have been getting from day one what I'm getting now is I would make or recive a call and would speak and the person on the phone can hear me to know that I am talking but I guess it is not coming in clear or is choppy on there end so they don't understand what I'm saying to the point I can't hold a phone call and we end up haning up the call due to this and this is going on with majority of the calls everywhere I go in 3 full counties worth and it does not matter if I call them or I recive the call. Also, as far as LTE goes around my area I have been picking up LTE in certain places for a quick minute then it goes away, but so far all the LTE I have been picking seems to be just upgraded 3G speeds with the LTE logo and the speeds are nowhere near LTE speeds. Sometimes I'm even getting the LTE logo but the speed numbers on the speed test come back to the numbers of the very slow Sprint 3G network prior to any 3G network update as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good afternoon everyone.

10/25/2012

I have an I phone 5 64 GB black been having the same issues however the last two weeks have been getting worse. I went to a sprint location (I am in Portland oregon) I spoke with the store manager he said it is a known issue and had me take screen shots of the "o" and email them to him. I guess he is working with sprint and apple to resolve this issue. He told me to try contacting apple about the issue. I called apple care they had me do the normal stuff reset the network settings reset the device then finally do a complete back up and restore. When I restored the device they had me not do a back up until we verified the issue. It was still there so they notated my account and I went in to the apple store and they replaced the phone. They did have issues getting it activated finally we just had to perform the ##update# send to activate the phone. With in the first 30 mins of the new phone being activated I was back to the "o" from what I know of this issue it is hit or miss on devices. I also tried the senior level apple rep and the whole activation profile idea I was told that if that profile was not loaded or loaded incorrectly the phone would not activate I did have them verify my serial number and everything on apples end looked good.

I have already told sprint I am a government subcontractor and this is my primary cell service however if this issue is not figured out and soon I will be moving all of my lines and devices to another carrier!

Highlighted
Journeyman

HI all,

I wrote in a while ago about all of the issues I was having and I am still having all of the same issues except the SIM issue. I have limited to no data, almost no 3G. I live 5 minutes from San Francisco so it really is an issue. I have spoken at length with customer support and the new "patch" did not help me at all. I was told last night there was nothing anyone could do and the Apple and Sprint were working on it. We will see. So far I have received $50 in credits but I dont think that even comes close to covering my time working on an issue that Sprint and Apple should have had resolved LONG before they had us all pay for a phone...

Journeyman

Well yesterday(10/25) I spoke to corporate Sprint again with the same person and she said that they are issues in my market the Miami/West Palm market and that it won't be fixed until December-January and this has nothing to do with the 3G upgrades or the network vision upgrades and for all this inconvenience For the next four months until it gets fixed they are giving me $50 off each bill.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i'm having the same slow to no data problem with my new iphone 5

speedtest results avg around 150ms : 0.15 Mbps : 0.10 Mbps

i'm located in San Jose, CA... and am seriously thinking about taking dropping sprint all together.

Highlighted
Journeyman

im at 105ms: .20 mbps : .05mbps so frustrating

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think that it is absolutely amazing that Sprint can get away with selling the iPhone 5 in the first place. I got mine through pre-order and was so excited to not have to wait in line the day it came out. I live in Orange, California and used to have an EVO 4G which worked great as far as speed goes but I was always having problems with the Android OS freezing up so I switched to the iPhone 4S which I fell in love with so naturally when the iPhone 5 came out I wanted to have it and was excited because I would be able to have it on the 4G (faster) network. When I received the phone I noticed right away that it was getting horrible reception on the 3G network, my 4S never had any problems with 3G. I decided to try the 4G LTE out and see if it was better, but after enabling LTE over and over again and never getting a change in network connection or speed I decided to call Sprint and ask for help. It took me almost 2 hours of being put on hold and transferred all over the place to find out that Sprint does not even provide LTE service in California and won't have it unitl the end of 2013 if we're lucky!!! I was irate and they could have cared less. I have been having nothing but horrible reception problems, loss of 3G data connection everywhere I go, always less than 4 bars, cellular data network not activated error messages, apps that won't load or say, Connection Error. I am so disappointed in this service and have called them numerous times to try and get them to come up with a resolution to my problem but they tell me that the phone is fine and the network is fine as well. I have been with Sprint since 2000 and have never felt so ripped off in all my life. I even tried to get them to do a full factory unlock on my phone because I told them that I want to terminate my contract and go to a different network and they refuse to do it. Sprint SUCKS!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think that it is absolutely amazing that Sprint can get away with selling the iPhone 5 in the first place. I got mine through pre-order and was so excited to not have to wait in line the day it came out. I live in Orange, California and used to have an EVO 4G which worked great as far as speed goes but I was always having problems with the Android OS freezing up so I switched to the iPhone 4S which I fell in love with so naturally when the iPhone 5 came out I wanted to have it and was excited because I would be able to have it on the 4G (faster) network. When I received the phone I noticed right away that it was getting horrible reception on the 3G network, my 4S never had any problems with 3G. I decided to try the 4G LTE out and see if it was better, but after enabling LTE over and over again and never getting a change in network connection or speed I decided to call Sprint and ask for help. It took me almost 2 hours of being put on hold and transferred all over the place to find out that Sprint does not even provide LTE service in California and won't have it unitl the end of 2013 if we're lucky!!! I was irate and they could have cared less. I have been having nothing but horrible reception problems, loss of 3G data connection everywhere I go, always less than 4 bars, cellular data network not activated error messages, apps that won't load or say, Connection Error. I am so disappointed in this service and have called them numerous times to try and get them to come up with a resolution to my problem but they tell me that the phone is fine and the network is fine as well. I have been with Sprint since 2000 and have never felt so ripped off in all my life. I even tried to get them to do a full factory unlock on my phone because I told them that I want to terminate my contract and go to a different network and they refuse to do it. Sprint SUCKS!!!!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm so sorry to hear that you're experiencing so many issues with your data connection and your iPhone 5.  I'll be glad to assist you any way that I can.  Since you've called into us recently, I'm sure you've been walked through some troubleshooting steps.  Can you tell me what has already been done to troubleshoot your device?  Also, if you could provide me with your city state and nearest cross streets that would be helpful as well.  I know you mentioned you have the issue everywhere, but knowing where you use the device the most frequently will be helpful.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat