cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5 service Problems?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Iphone 5 service Problems?

Well I received my 32GB Iphone 5 on 9/21 at 3pm ET and ever since then I have been having problems with the service. I live in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and between 2 countys I am getting 1 bar with data speeds slower than edge speed or full bars or 1 or 2 bars missing with a circle for the data speed and it cuts off a lot between 3G and the circle (no data) a lot, and because of that Imessage is not working right so I can't see when someone types messages to me or reads my messages, Siri keeps messing up a lot because of data speeds and it keeps getting disconnected, reminders cannot remind me of any reminders via location, and Facebook and Instagram always seem to load way slower then edge speeds. I had called sprint a few times about this and they cannot seem to help me out on the phone and for no reason once some rep put me on hold for about 7 minutes for what he said was to look up more info about the problem, but without notice he transferred me to a supervisor witch I was on the phone with less than 2 minutes and we hung up and got nowhere, then another time I was transferred to another department and I had to repeat my story as I did to the 1st rep just for them not to know anything and we hung up and all I did was go in the circles. I am starting to get fed up because basically I am getting no help with my phone and it is not working and in the state the phone/service is in the phone is pretty much unless. Is any one else in Florida and any where else in the United States havinf problems like mine or any service problems at all let me know please. Also, I would like an answer on what to do to fix this asap? please and thanks before I end up loosing it with sprint.

279 REPLIES 279
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea that's what I mean, once it is fixed on your end I would like to know the details on what you had to do on your end if anything to complete it

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well,  I cancelled quite a few days ago while still within my 14 days.  I received the return pack, which was a pre-paid UPS bubblewrap bag!  Oh well, I wrapped them up good and stuck them inside.  They have been delivered; so, I'm just waiting on my refund.  In the meantime I was sent an email from "Dan Hesse" which said,

Dear Customer,

I'm sorry to see you've taken your business to another wireless provider. Your business is very important to us and I'd like to understand why we were not able to keep you as a Sprint customer. We'd like to hear from you. Please reply to my office at dan@sprint.com and let us know the most convenient way for a member of my team to contact you. Thank you for being a Sprint customer.

Dan Hesse
CEO
Sprint

This was my email back:

To Whom it May Concern,

I was sent the email below and was asked to provide feedback concerning my decistion to leave Sprint and move to another carrier (Verizon). Everybody at Sprint, whether it be online chat or on the phone, were always very kind, but no one had any answers for the problems I was having or the problems people across the country are having. It started with the upgrade and purchase of three iphone 5's. The phones were delivered in a very timely manner. I unboxed the phones and tried to activate them online and was unsuccessful. I opened a chat window, and they were unable to help me. They said something was wrong with the account, and it was showing five phones instead of three. The MEID numbers were also not matching up; so, i could not activate the phones. I then had to go to a "Sprint store". I was not told it had to be a corperate store, and I was not told there was a difference between stores; so, the first store I went to was an express store. They tried to help me, but kept getting an error in the system. I then had to go to a corperate store. They were finally able to the phones activated. Once activated, and over the next few days, we noticed a drop in network speeds over our previous three year old phones, HTC Hero and Palm Pre...slower than dial up speeds. The phone rarely showed 3G speed and often showed "Extended". I tried to do all the phone updates, and it would help directly after the reset, but as soon as I started moving, it would drop. This made the phone worthless. I then searched on Google for "sprint iphone data" and "sprint iphone service", and if you do this also, you can see what I saw...people all across the country with the same problem! I was not about to take the chance in exceeding my 14 day trial period; so, I cancelled. I know there are other people report that Sprint has been trying to charge them a restocking fee, but according to the Sprint policy online, this only applies to exchanges. Under the return for refund, it says nothing about a restocking fee. I do know you lose the activation fee, which I do not think I should be charged considering I had the phones for 5 days with no real usable service. Either way, that was not my experience with cancelling. I was told i would get a full refund, but I am yet to see it. The phones have been returned/delivered, and i know processing takes time; so, I am choosing to be patient at this time. That is basically the long and short of why I cancelled. I would suggest searching on Google for the above search terms and make yourself aware of the issues that many people are having. I have been a loyal customer of Sprint's for many years, but this one thing made me switch. I am guessing this email is going to fall on deaf ears, but I thought i'd take the time to reply anyways.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah... that email to Dan about sums it up.  Ealier I posted that engineeres were to be sent to my local area to try and discover why my data speeds are so slow.  Well, I got the return call and apprently there are no problems to speak of, and capacity updates are scheduled for the end of this month... hmmm, this brings the question,"do I wait and hope that my .07 mbps download speed increases to 2 or 3 full mb, or do I jump ship?"  I think the answer is clear.  I really don't want to pay $100 dollars for an infividual plan, but I want a phone that works.  Sprint customer service has been very patient, and has recently been good at making my problem seem like it could be the only problem anyone is having, but it all doesn't amount to anything if the actual service you pay for is sub par.  I also stated earlier that I never expected Sprint's network to match AT&T.  This is still true, and if you are someone who only wants a phone to make calls, and maybe send a few texts, all for a cheaper rate, then I think Sprint is definitley for you ( I have had maybe 3 dropped calls, in the whole 9 years i've been with them).  Maybe Sprint will be able to initialize a competitive network within the next couple of years, so by the time someone finishes out their new carrier's contract, after switching, could come back to a usable network.

I have been running around talking to sprint reps (in person and on the phone) and Apple reps, troubleshooting, running diagnostics, having to do research at Verizon stores, AT&T stores, when this all should have been a simple process.  What is so irritating is that I had to come to the conclusion myself, that this problem is not something that can be fixed locally, there is nothing I can do about it.  Sprint's network was not ready for the launch, and it is yet to be seen if it will be in the near future.  I have people with obsolete phone devices running circles around me because my data speeds are so slow.  It took me 15 minutes to log into Words With Friends!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint's new slogan should be" Truly unlimited data with very limited service, The Sprint Network". I have not upgraded my phones as of now but did look into getting a Galaxy S3 for me to replace my S2 & a Iphone5 to replace my Wifes Evo Shift but none of the new LTE phones are getting the proper service that are on display in the Sprint store. So why upgrade, my service is bad enough aa it is, I have to find 4g locations while I am at work outside of the office while my co-workers enjoy 4G LTE service with AT&T & Verizon, full web, talk & text. My Sprint Galaxy S2 is normally looking for a signal or roaming in a normal coverage area, so I know what I need to do now!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll be surprised if he responds.

With the rebate, they take their sweet time. I returned my phone the 24th of July, I believe. The guy at the store did not put it in as a return/ cancel. So here I am thinking I'm good to go, and call sprint about a week later to check my status. They inform me that the line was not cancelled, and since it was now past 14 days they don't owe me and I didn't owe them( they used the phone return as a ETF ,I returned it in 6 days!!)...WHAT?? This was a new account, one line. Did they think I was going pay for service without a phone, which is pretty funny considering their service...long story short I got it all straightened out. It took about a month exactly, but they gave me a full refund. They may make you wait til the billing cycle is over to process it. Why they cant figure that out when no line is open or charges being made is beyond me.

But good luck to the ones who have decided to tough it out. I never experienced service like that with my provider. Thankfully sprint offers a 14 day trial, cause if I was stuck with that I would be livid.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I moved to Verizon. Had to. This mess with the iPhone 5 is simply unacceptable. I have been with them since 1999. I am moving my entire family along with me in the coming weeks. Sprint had an opportunity and failed. I feel bad for the customer service reps because they were always professional and polite.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same issues with my iphone5 64gb. I have spent (literally) hours (10+) in the sprint store, 6 hours in the Apple store and 3-4 hours on the phone with Sprint and Applecare trying to get this worked out. At one point after a week and a half of driving out to the store on any free time, a representative told me to just give it a few days before returning it to see if it improves... hmm? Another representative told me that since I pre-ordered it on the 9/17 I coud not return it on 10/01 because it was past the 14 days. The phone was not released until the 9/21. I had to waste time (to no avail) explaining that a 14day return policy is counted from the time you have the phone not when you purchase the phone. She wasn't having any of it, she began birating me about the legalities of the 2 year contract and, "there was now way I was going to get out of it unless I paid the fee." I couldnt even get a word in to tell her she was on the wrong topic. I have no intention of leaving sprint, just wante to return the phone. She and many other representatives I have spoken to have seem more concerned with locking me into a contract than trying to help me resolve any issues. I am looking for reasons to excuse their behavior, maybe pressure is really on employees to keep customers by any means- even by bulling them. Unbelieveable. I took a break and called back and I have since made contact with someone more knowledgable and a return kit was sent out to me. I will be returning this phone. I have been with sprint for over 12 years, and I have been happy with them for the most part. I dont think apple and sprint are a match, for whatever reasons. And it seems customer service is on a down swing, again.

My Evo3D got much better data speeds. I'm bummed because I was really was excited to get the Iphone5. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

So today I was on my way home and I live right on the beach and on my way home the bridge to get to the beach was up. So while I was waiting I went to look at my phone and saw that it had full bars so I tried to go online and it would not move at all, so I went in to the app and checked the speed and the 1st time nothing would load at all for the test on full bars and the second time this i what I got on full bars this is unacceptable Sprint, really something needs to get done ASAP. Also I was waiting 15 mintues at the bridge so I tried to come and post the screen shot on this post and to be honest it would not move at all until I got to my house and turned on the Wi-Fi image.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

Until now, I have had a great experience with Sprint. The bad experience started with my iPhone 5. My husband used his upgrade to buy the new phone and gave it to me. We checked ahead of time, and we were told NO problem. I took it to a corporate store the day after they came out, and was told that no SERO customers could have iPhone 5 and they would not activate it. (A sero customer is an employee referral account). So I walked outside of the store and called customer service and they activated it. CS also confirmed that there was no such rule that SERO customers could not have an iphone 5. What would stop me from waiting all night at Apple to get one? They were lazy and simply did not want to activate it for me.  STRIKE ONE for Sprint. Then I walked back inside to sync my contacts, and noticed the phone was wobbling inside like the hardware was loose. Sprint said, wow, that shoudl not happen, take it across the street to Apple, we are sold out. So I did. After trying 4 new phones, one finally activated, 3 hours later at the apple store. I left. When I got home, I got the SIM CARD INACTIVE error, then SIM FAILURE, then a shutdown. I called Sprint tech support and was told SIM cards were for international use and I would be transferred to that department. I waited on hold for 38 minutes. Nothing. So I called back on another line and was told that the international CS was long closed. So the lazy lady transferred me to a closed office. GREAT. The new guy was great and after an hour, we got the phone working. HOORAY!...

Two weeks later, to today. The speaker phone quit today so I went back to apple. They gave me my 3rd phone. We activated it, I went home. SIM CARD FAILURE. Seriously?!? SO I spent the next 5 hours talking ot sprint and apple on the phone. No resolutoin. So here I am, typing this blog at the Apple store, while they try and help me again. Sprint has NO CLUE. I spoke to 3 different sprint reps today and none could resolve the issue. Apple thought they had about an hour ago and then SIM failure again. Sprint needs to compensate me for their failure to do their due dilligence and get this crap worked out before collecting all of our money on these new phones, that dont work. Apple has a part in this too. My issues have been both hardware and software related. UGH

Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel for you. Everyone seems clueless apple and sprint as to the issues. No SIM card has happened to me too. While at the apple store trying to activate the 2nd of 3 phones thus far, the sprint tech advised me (and the apple genius) to go into an apple store and they will resolve it! It was a bit of comic relief as it was so unbelievable! Something has to be done!

Highlighted
Journeyman

let's just hope this gets fixed sooner or later.  Beautiful piece of hardware!  Great on WiFi!  Worthless on cellular.......

I bet there's thousands of users out there with the same problem.  It's a self-selection breed for those folks who come on the forums and another sub-group for those who posts instead of just lurking...

Highlighted
Journeyman

this will not get fix.. sprint is betting all their money on LTE  the "now network" is yesterday network they are way behind their competitors.. they are deploying 100 markets.. lol those markets are small cities some of the with less than 2,000 people... i return my phone before the 14 days.. now im fighting with sprint to revert my contract to the original day.. when they do that i will change.... what's the idea behind unlimited data if is at dial up speeds...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat