cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5 service Problems?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Iphone 5 service Problems?

Well I received my 32GB Iphone 5 on 9/21 at 3pm ET and ever since then I have been having problems with the service. I live in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and between 2 countys I am getting 1 bar with data speeds slower than edge speed or full bars or 1 or 2 bars missing with a circle for the data speed and it cuts off a lot between 3G and the circle (no data) a lot, and because of that Imessage is not working right so I can't see when someone types messages to me or reads my messages, Siri keeps messing up a lot because of data speeds and it keeps getting disconnected, reminders cannot remind me of any reminders via location, and Facebook and Instagram always seem to load way slower then edge speeds. I had called sprint a few times about this and they cannot seem to help me out on the phone and for no reason once some rep put me on hold for about 7 minutes for what he said was to look up more info about the problem, but without notice he transferred me to a supervisor witch I was on the phone with less than 2 minutes and we hung up and got nowhere, then another time I was transferred to another department and I had to repeat my story as I did to the 1st rep just for them not to know anything and we hung up and all I did was go in the circles. I am starting to get fed up because basically I am getting no help with my phone and it is not working and in the state the phone/service is in the phone is pretty much unless. Is any one else in Florida and any where else in the United States havinf problems like mine or any service problems at all let me know please. Also, I would like an answer on what to do to fix this asap? please and thanks before I end up loosing it with sprint.

279 REPLIES 279
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Fergie, is this ETR fix of 11/26 going to be applied to everyone's phone as an update? My speedtest show download of 0.00 and upload of 0.05 on average.  I don't want to go through the trouble of opening a ticket with Sprint or Apple for the same issue if this fix is going to be across all iphones. Thank you!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think I made a huge mistake switching from Android to iPhone5 on Sprint.  Just got the iphone and have nothing but problems.  I have done a system upgrade and a profile update and I still get spotty signals and I have the same problem as evryone else being unable to make or receive calls and texts.  This is in downtown Chicago -- an area that is supposed to have full Sprint coverage!!!   Even if I have 4 signal bars and Sprint 3G, the phone doesn't work in the downtown area.  I go home (2.5 miles away) to the South Loop and it seems to be fine.  WTF is going on?  This is the most frustrating time I have ever had with a phone...period.  Both of my sons have iPhone 4S and they have no problems at all.

I give up.

Highlighted

RJCB398 - It can be frustrating waiting for a fix especially when experiencing extensive problems but I ask that you do not "complain" too much about date changes on the fix. I am so happy to see that Sprint is even giving an idea about the date as that does not happen very often. I would rather the date(s) pass and get it right. Because the "fix" may actually introduce another host of issues which may impact more customers.

I learned from experience with ICS on Samsung Epic 4GT/customers hounded and hounded and then there was "outrage" when it didn't work correctly. Patience

Fergie_B - thanks for your honesty and dedication to service. It is a difficult job/I know all to well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mrcminnesota--

Excuse me, but how is it your place to tell me not to "complain"? I'm "complaining" because I, like the other customers who have posted in this thread, are frustrated by the lack of support and detail extended to us by Sprint, who we all pay an excessive amount of money to per month for subpar (at best) service. In my case, I've now purchased an $850 64gig iPhone 5, and a $300 (on upgrade) 16 gig iPhone 5, and am paying $300 a month-- I believe that in return I should at the very least be able to send a picture message or access the web on occasion. Some users on the message boards have been dealing with this issue for two months now. I understand that it is a complicated error, I mean, they haven't even discovered the root of the issue yet and have pushed the date back three times now, but to hold us here in limbo without giving us any detail and to have not even discovered the problem after this long, it's really becoming a ridiculous situation. The new date means nothing, as they haven't even discovered the cause of the NATIONWIDE iPhone 5 outage.

As someone earlier in the thread put it, would it be okay if you walked into a grocery store, paid, and were then told that you couldn't have your groceries? In Sprint's case-- that you would then have to come back to that same store every month and pay for nothing? For those of us on contract and past the 14 day return policy (in my case I was told to wait out the issue) this is how I feel we're being treated by Sprint, and I'm not even talking about the extra $10 per line for premium 4g data we never seem to get, that's another story.

And mrcminnesota, if you don't like complaining, the Sprint community is probably not a site to frequent.

Highlighted
Journeyman

IMG_0381.PNG

I have done everything I can, hours wasted at the apple store, in Sprint stores, and on the phone with sprint. They never mentioned any known issues. My iphone 5 is worthless concerning data. They want full ETF. I too was conned into waiting passed the 14 days. (plus I was out of state for the first week) Now everyday I use my wife's android if I need internet. It's terrible bussiness practice to make false promises and claims, and not confess or communicate known problems. Now I have wasted hundreds of dollars based on there false claims. They in turn offer me a $25 dicount. Great.

Goodbye Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Been with Sprint for almost 15 years... Decided to get a iphone 5. Guess what? Same problems as everyone else here. I was lucky enough to read the forums and return the phone back to Sprint within the 14 days. Now Im going to another provider. I hate to leave but I fell in love with the iphone (Im a big fan of Apple products). This month with be my last with Sprint. Good luck to all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have my own update to offer.

We left Sprint after going through  2 phones and a SIM card. So I had to call on October 29 because lo and behold, they tried to charge me for activation fees on all 4 phones. The first two we bought, then the 2 replacements. Then they also wanted to charge me another $50 for an ETF. I said fine to the ETF but not the activations fees. You don't get to charge me for activating something that never worked right. Twice.

The person I spoke to said it would all be taken off and I would only have to pay the $50. I was happy.

Well, today I had to call again. I got yet another bill. The charges were NOT removed. Here's the kicker: I was told I was never told I would receive a credit. No record of my credit or my conversation stating I would have a credit or any of the problems I had were ever made. But somehow they knew the date was October 29.

MY ENTIRE CONVERSATION WAS ERASED. I was told that the charges were not from them and that I would need to go to Apple to get a refund for all of the activation fees.

My bill says SPRINT. Not Apple. I paid Apple what I owed Apple.

To recap: Outright corporate lying and destruction of notes on my account. Deleted notes means I never called and I never had an issue with my phone so the fact that it was after 14 days means I don't get a refund of the fees - even though my phone never worked (hello, breach of contract?). The customer service representative and her supervisor refused to even pay attention to what had even happened. She even had the nerve to tell me that I must have been calling about the ETF when I called last time because I was never told they could refund my money. So not only do they think they can rewrite history, they can also decide that you don't even know what you were talking about when you spoke to them or why you were calling in the first place.

They've turned a once loyal customer into a formerly loyal customer that will tell everyone she sees about the lies, data manipulation, and clear premeditative acts to defraud and deceive me. They ALTERED DATA on my account. I'm lucky that I bought my phone at Apple because I have evidence that I had problems with the phone and multiple service appointments wherein they also have notes stating I WENT TO SPRINT to get my phone fixed since they decided to erase them all.

My advice: LEAVE SPRINT. The sooner you do, the better off you'll be. If you can, record every conversation you have with them. You'll need it because they erase whatever data they don't want to have a record of.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well after talking for 30 minutes to a customer service rep and then another 30 minutes to a technical rep, I still have the same problem.  Turns out the original rep gave me incorrect information, so that first 30 minutes was a complete waste of my life.  Anyway,   once the locations from which I use my phone the most were analyzed (I live and work in metro Chicago), it was determined that the Sprint towers in downtown Chicago can’t handle the network traffic and are basically running at a snail’s pace.  This actually makes sense to me because just a few miles away, I get great service (data and voice).  Well, supposedly the fix date is November 23 for the downtown Chicago area.  A couple days means nothing to me so I’ll wait it out.  Lies mean everything to me, so like I mentioned to the rep, if the 23rd comes and goes without a fix, I will be calling Sprint for restitution, and I might very well take my 6-phone account elsewhere if I’m not satisfied.  I’ve been a customer since 1999, but now-a-days with this type of service, you simply must go with the provider that can keep up with the growing technology. 

EDIT:  And BTW, I save my transcripts.  I will only contact Sprint online so I get a printout of exactly what was discussed.  If you're worried about erased phone calls, do the live customer service chat and keep a copy of the conversations and you'll have nothing to moan about.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been a customer with Sprint for just three weeks now, and I'm already completely frustrated.  Things worked great for the first two days, then I couldn't get 3g.  I called the customer service number, and they had me reset my network settings, and do the good old ##update# deal.  Things worked fine until the end of my 14-day return period, and then I started having problems again about 3 nights ago.

I live in a suburb of Denver, where I get five bars on my phone.  I work in downtown Denver, and drive throughout the city every day.  For the past three days my data has dropped out completely on numerous occasions, often for hours at a time, regardless of moving locations, or resetting the phone (data would drop to the point that nothing would work:  e-mail, safari, siri, etc).  When it is working, it is behaving in an extremely unreliable manner.  The app "Speedtest" shows no upload during these times, and when I'm having this problem I can't get Facebook updates, email attachments from my phone, or even get the built in weather widget to work.  When trying to send an e-mail it just says "connecting" indefinitely.

I went to Sprint yesterday, and they did the update/reset thing on my phone again.  No change in the quality of my connection, and I'm still having the same problems.  Their customer service rep just said "oh, it must just be the network".  Yeah, great, that doesn't really help.

Regardless, it doesn't appear to be the network.  I saw family today, and my girlfriend's brother helped me do a side-by-side comparison between his 2-year-old iphone 4 and my brand new iphone 5 (we're both on Sprint, and the phones were tested in the exact same place, at the same time, repeatedly).  The iphone 4 was faster in a speed test, albeit slightly, and also seemed to have a lot less trouble doing routine things:  his phone would load Facebook quickly, and locations on the maps app quickly appeared in satellite/hybrid mode, while my phone struggled to pull up the same locations, and in some cases failed completely (either displaying a black screen on the map page, or the grid lines that appear when it is trying to load.

I'm not a networking expert, but clearly something isn't right here.  Even as I type this the phone won't show Facebook updates (displaying "Network Error" instead), the weather widget won't update, and the picture I just tried to email from the phone failed to send.  Curiously, the phone will still surf the web at the moment, and update my news apps (like CNN).

I'm hoping to get this issue resolved quickly and painlessly, but this thread doesn't really suggest that Sprint or Apple have figured out what is going on.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK folks, another update.

As a recap, I had all of the same problems as you, no data, not getting VM or texts, not able to send photos etc. I spent hours at sprint and apple in person and on the phone and have now been through 5 new iPhones.

I filed a claim with the BBB about atwo weeks ago or so. Sprint called last Thursday and they sent me a brand new phone which I got on Monday. This makes my 5th iPhone5. I am well outside the 14 day period (my first phone came on 9/21) but well documented every trip I made to Apple and Sprint and also I know it is all on my account, the reps have confirmed it.

I activated the new phone today and guess what...NO PROBLEMS. It works. I was on 3G all day, NO little circle. I sent images, texts, everything works. On my drive home from dinner (well my husband drove, I was passenger) I went to a bunch of random sites, and they all worked. Siri worked, talk to text worked...

I am not telling you this to rub it in but people you need to file with BBB and FCC. It works. Stop calling Sprint and dealing with someone who does not have the authority to really help you...and file with the bigger people. File more than once if you have to. It is in my opinion that obviously some of the phones are not working right with the network, but this new one I got does. It took me 5 swaps to get here. I believe the swaps Apple gives may be part of the issue. They are "service swaps" and this phone was a brand new phone, with all the accessories, in the wrapped sealed box.

I will let you all know in another day or two if it is still working but I am feeling very hopeful...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok I'm going to be frank with all you guys; I'm tired of hearing all these complaints of how bad Sprint service for the iPhone 5 is and/or how you've been given the run around. The quick solution is to simply leave Sprint. Like you I was given the run around and spent countless hours at both the Sprint and Apple store. Although I have been a loyal Sprint customer for over 10 years, I left Sprint simply because they CANNOT support the iPhone 5.   Because Sprint sold me technology that they could not support at this time, I felt I was not only mislead, but fed empty promises. I filed a complaint with the FCC and Sprint surprisingly contacted me about it. I reside in the Los Angeles area and was told by a Sprint corporate employee that LTE won't be available until the end of 2013. So my best advice to everyone is to find out, if possible, when LTE will be available in your area. All these phone change outs and testing of download speeds is simply a ploy by Sprint to keep you as a customer, but continue to screw you. If there aren't LTE towers your iPhone 5 WON'T work! Unlimited data sounds great, but what good is it if you can't access 4G? Either leave Sprint for a carrier that works or stick around to find out what happens, but please stop complaining because Sprint does not have plans to affectively launch in large metropolitan areas for quite some time!

Highlighted

RJCB398 - I understand your frustration but I didn't say "don't complain" at all but merely "not so much about a date being given (original message - RJCB398 - It can be frustrating waiting for a fix especially when experiencing extensive problems but I ask that you do not "complain" too much about date changes on the fix. I am so happy to see that Sprint is even giving an idea about the date as that does not happen very often. I would rather the date(s) pass and get it right. Because the "fix" may actually introduce another host of issues which may impact more customers.)

Hey - if I had as many problems from the beginning, I too would not be happy. I actually had many issues with the Samsung Epic 4GT 14 months ago. I decided at that time to keep the phone (actually after the 3rd one). Was I totally happy with it, no but because I decided to keep it - I am also to blame for keeping it. The phone after an update did start to work better until ICS and then it went downhill again (even after 2 updates).

When someone has so many problems with a phone (or a company), keep documentation/logs, pay the ETF to get out of your contract (some will say I can't afford it but yet continue to pay their monthly charges which can be hundreds of dollars), write to Sprint Corporate, file with the FCC (your State Attorney General, BBB, etc) and take them to conciliation court (in your county - Sprint has to go there). It may take awhile but it has to be worth it for your health. I know Forums are generally used for complaining which I can handle - see I came back to respond.

Don't get me wrong, I too can be a ballbuster when I need to be (just ask coworkers/friends/family)

Good Luck

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat