cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just another annoyed iphone 5 user on the sprint network

Journeyman

Just another annoyed iphone 5 user on the sprint network

Ive been a sprint customer since high school!!! I graduated in 2000!!! I would consider myself a very valuable customer, but I recently upgraded to the iphone 5 and the data coverage is horrible!!! I wish I would have read into this problem before I upgraded because I would have never got the iphone 5. I dont even have to describe my problem for everyone to figure it out...it seems to be all over the internet. Sprint+iphone5+data coverage=phone not usuable. Once I leave my wifi in my house, all I basically have is a basic cell phone to make and receive calls. This is totally unacceptable and Im sick of the excuses. Obviously Sprint knows about this, but they wont tell me what they are doing to fix this. Sure youre upgrading the towers to LTE and all that, but why dont I have 3g data coverage. I had a HTC evo 4g just last week, and I got fine 3g coverage basically anywhere.

Can you please tell me what Sprint is doing to fix this compatablility issue between the iphone 5 and Sprints data coverage, other than telling me Sprint is in the process of upgrading its towers. Because if thats the case, then I should still be able to get 3g coverage from a tower that isnt being worked on. Am I correct? I understand you are sorry and apologize for this issue, Ive read that on every other post, but I still havent found an answer as the what the actual problem is. What is the problem? Do you need to send out an update? Im seriously thinking of cancelling Sprint after 16+years!!!

My zip code is 06416 and the streets are shunpike road and evergreen road. I have given you these so you can tell me that the towers are fine. I have done the update ##UPDATE#, I have factory reset my phone, I turned LTE off, I tried the airplane mode off and on, I even went to the Sprint store yesterday because I have a work ticket order. I was there for 2 minutes, they looked at me and understood that Im pretty knowledgeable on this subject ( Ive done my research), and they told me that therese nothing I can do but to wait for an update. All of this troubleshooting on my part confirms my belief that there is nothing more to be done, and Sprint is to blame and Sprint is the only one who can fix this, yet this issue has been happening for quite some time.

Totally unacceptable.

Thanks for unlimited data when I can even use any of it!

46 REPLIES 46
Wizard

Re: Just another annoyed iphone 5 user on the sprint network

Hi holyradness,

Thanks for your Community post regarding the data issues you are experiencing with your iPhone 5. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this issues is causing you, and I am happy to look into this matter further. Thanks for providing your zip code and cross streets of 06416 and the streets are shunpike road and evergreen road where I’ve checked for outages and none are reported. Since you've advised having issues with data, are you completely unable to access data at all, or are you just pulling slow data speeds?  Also, when you attempt to access data, are you getting any particular error messages?

Thank You,

Yahkie W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Thanks for the quick response. Usually Im completely unable to access data outside of wifi. I get an error message of "Could not activate cellular data netowork" I would not say Im entirely unable to access data, just unacceptably slow when I am able to access it. 9 times out of 10 it is unaccessable, and the other 1 time it takes so long that I forgot what I needed to access it for.

Ive included a picture showing the message.

photo.PNG

Wizard

Holyradness,

Thanks for your reply. In your original post you mentioned taking your device into a Sprint store to have it serviced, have your ever taken the device to an Apple Store? Also, do you know of others in your area whom are have the same device and are having the same or similar issues? I'm just trying to determine it this is an isolate issues or happening to most. You advised being able to access 3G with another device, which confirm the service is available. I'm also, trying to narrow it down to either a device issue, or network issue.

Thank You,

Yahkie W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

No Ive never taken it to an Apple store. Only a Sprint store. My girlfriend has an iphone 5 on verizon and she gets data coverage everywhere we go. That would make me assume it is a Sprint issue. I find it hard to believe that this would be an isolated device issue as Ive read hundreds and hundreds of posts about people having the same exact problem. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

You're right. It's a Sprint problem. But it's not one they are going to fix. They're expecting Network Vision to make the iPhone 5/3G problem just go away. Take a look here.

Wizard

holyradness,

Thanks for your reply. I understand you may have read post about others having the same issues however, there are also a lot of subscribers whom are not having any issues. A lot of subscribers are completely satisfied with their iPhone 5 working on Sprint's 3G Network. Considering you've never taken your device to an Apple store, you may locate your nearest store by visiting www.apple.com/retail . May you please keep me posted on the outcome of your store visit?

Thank You,

Yahkie W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I also have an Iphone 5 and didn't have the problems prior to getting this phone.  I have been on the phone with tech support on and off for 4 months now with no changes in the extremely poor data/call/text ability of my phone.  I have 3 lines, and of those, I am the only one getting the problems of unsent texts, no signal/service, and calls not coming in and all 3 lines live in the same house.  It must have something to do with the phone on the network, otherwise why would the Evo 4G and iphone 4s be getting better quality of services?

Wizard

kikjean5,

Thanks for your post. I understand that you are having issues concerning poor data, calls, and texting abilities with your iPhone. I apologize for any inconveniences these issues are causing you, and I am happy to look into this matter further. I understand that within the same household other lines on different devices are not experiencing said issues. I'm happy to review solutions to best remedy these issues as accessing your account, and other troubleshooting steps are required to be determine the root cause of these issues. To begin, how long have your been experiencing these issues? May you also advise what troubleshooting steps you've completed to remedy these issues in the past?

Thank You,

Yahkie W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I agree and it seems everywhere you look online is in agreeance as well. I have an appointment with the apple store tomorrow. After talking with an "apple genius" the last troubleshooting step I am to take is to go to the apple store and most likely replace my phone.

I feel like Sprint should give me a discount for going through all these steps to try and resolve what clearly is a sprint issue.

Journeyman

I have been experiencing these issues since November, 2012 (when I upgraded to the iPhone 5). I immediately called to report extremely slow data (not that it was phenomenal with my other phones, but much slower than ever), not receiving incoming calls (I now tell people to leave me a voicemail as that is the only way they can reach me because my phone does not even recognize the incoming call, but will give me the voicemail they leave me) and text messages that do not send (at least my phone says they didn't send and gives me the red exclamation point, then I retry and the person I was sending my message to is actually receiving all of them in duplicates or triplicates) and when I try to call out, sometimes my phone hangs and takes a long time to connect to the call to even start ringing.

I have replaced the phone with a brand new iPhone 5 when I first noticed problems after my first tech support call, and still have all the same problems. I have exhausted every effort: 1) calling customer service 2) replace phone with another brand new phone 3)call tech support 4)go to the Apple store for their Genius Bar (told me it is a Sprint network problem) 5) Go to my local sprint store for diagnosis (did the same thing tech support told me to do ##UPDATE# and also reset the network under settings.) 6) Call tech support again who had me go into field test and run the Ookla speed test (horrible results) 7) Wait for tech to call me back, when they did, they said it should be up and running perfectly (nothing changed) 😎 Called tech support, open more tickets and waited for return call, in which no testing was done and was told to "wait it out until they work on towers in my area and get LTE running which he said could be 6 months or more and in the meantime, told me to "know the future is bright" and to just "get trough this rough patch" with a possible $30.00 credit pending his supervisors approval which is still in limbo. So please, tell me what else to do?

Journeyman

Do like i'm about to, report this crappy provider to the Better Business Bureau and move to AT&T.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat