cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just another annoyed iphone 5 user on the sprint network

Journeyman

Re: Just another annoyed iphone 5 user on the sprint network

I have been having the same issues, I just got my phone in January. When I am at work, I can't get 33 coverage at all, which doesn't make sense because it wasn't an issue on my nexus s 4g which is the phone I upgraded from. I have called customer care several times, they always say they don't understand why my phone isn't picking up 3g, as there are no reported outages. I went to a Sprint store on saturday and was told to just try to connect to wifi at all times, and not worry about it! I usually connect to it at home anyway, but how is that a suitable resolution when I am not at home all day everyday. It's ridiculous to have to pay a premium data fee on my account, when 9 times out of 10, I can't even use data services. I would've kept my old phone, or actually I would have just went to another provider if I knew this would be the outcome.

Journeyman

Thats exactly what I wouldve done...I wouldve kept my old phone or upgraded to another one other than Iphone 5. The only reason why I switched to iphone 5 was because of all the great things Ive heard about, and it really is a great phone...it just doesnt work on the Sprint network.

Weve all been totally mislead because this issue seems to go back to at least last year...Sprint should have fixed this by now. Totally unacceptable. I stay with Sprint because its cheap and theres unlimited data...Im not really concerned if network speed are fast.

Yea its a slow network compared to other carriers but I dont mind not having instant LTE speeds. Im patient and can wait because eventually LTE will be the new standard and if Sprint doesnt have LTE coverage everywhere, then theyll go out of business. Its just like when VCR switched the DVD...LTE will be what everyone uses at all times, Sprint is in last place now but they have to switch over and improve their LTE coverage to keep their business open...otherwise bye bye Sprint, it will no longer be a carrier. Im used to it with my old phone. But what I do mind is not having any access at all!!! I was at a restaurant 30 min from my house and had the "o" as usual, but I actual had a decent network connection...but every few minutes I would get the "could not activate cellular data network" message. So obviously something isnt working correctly between iphone 5 and Sprint.

I feel like going to the apple store is a waste of time and gas, and Sprint should compensate all iphone 5 users.

Journeyman

I agree. It's very frustrating, because I really do enjoy my phone(when I can use it) and I do enjoy unlimited data. I just feel like Sprint doesn't really care about fixing this issue because they know that unlimited data is a big deal, and most people won't bother to pay an early termination fee to switch carriers.

Journeyman

I didn't want to pay the ETF on the 3 lines I carry, plus be out the 500.00 I paid for my phone upgrade (oh, and the upgrade few of 36.00) not to mention the 4S and the Evo that are the other phones on my account, but with no response and no one wanting to take responsibility I'm left with that as my last option. I cannot even connect to the wifi at my college due to security certificate issues, they had to manually add my ip so that it bypasses the redirect login page... That is an apple issue, but the rest, not to mention that I have NEVER had premium data, ie I bought an Evo 4g when they were brand new because I wanted to actually use the premium data I was paying for with my blackberry curves, but 4 phones later, I am yet to use anything but the sparse and SLOW "3G". This should be criminal to charge for a service knowing they will never be able to utilize it. At the least they should pay back the 10.00 premium data until we can actually use it.

Journeyman

Agreed, I do not want to monitor my data usage and worry about going over. But Sprint has to fix it to stay in business. They could have and should have fixed this issue by now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Or at the very least acknowledged there is a problem, instead of insulting everyone's intelligence and blaming the issue on everybody and everything but themselves.

Journeyman

Yea I had the evo 4g for 3 years...and I shouldve re-named it to the evo 3g because I rarely saw 4g!!

Yes acknowledge the issue and post a timetable for when it will be fixed. Thats all we ask. They must have already lost alot of dedicated iphone users (which there are a lot) because of this problem. I dont see why Sprint is not cooperating with us...they must be losing more customers then they are taking in...they are starting to get a bad rap and already are known as the carrier with the slowest and poorest coverage. The only thing keeping them is unlimited data and cheap price.

Journeyman

LOL, I think I had 4g on my evo the first month or so that I had it.

Journeyman

In alot of cities/areas Sprint rides along on the verizon network, this is especially common in Sacramento. It does not actually mean that you will be in roaming mode though however because as long as you have Roaming enabled you will still be on the Sprint Network that is roaming via a Verizon Tower/Network. In Settings on the iPhone you need to go to Cellular and then Go to the Roaming Menu. Make Sure that you have Voice Roaming Enabled as well as Data Roaming Enabled. They are actually two separate options under the Cellular Roaming Menu. I have seen tons of times where Voice Roaming is enabled, but the Data Roaming option is turned off/disabled. I believe that data roaming sometimes is off by default on a brand new iPhone and for some cities on the sprint network you need to enable Roaming for both Voice AND Data. Also just to be sure after you have Both Voice AND Data Roaming enabled, make sure you go to the Dialpad and do a PRL Update ##Update#, so it can pull the proper information with Roaming Enabled.

Journeyman

Hmm, I tried doing that and now I get a message saying service update failed. Never mind I just updated it through wifi and it said service update complete. I just tried turning wifi off and seeing if it work and I got the same message "could not activate cellular data network" or "you are not subscribed to a cellular data network"

Journeyman

Why do you have wifi on when doing a service update? If you run a PRL update with Wifi on that is part of your problem... With WIfi OFF....After turning on the Data Roaming and Voice Roaming you may need to power off your phone and/or soft reset it. Hold down top power button + Hold down Home Screen Button Together. Do not let go of both until you see the phone turn off and wait for the apple logo screen to display again. Then you can let go of both buttons. Your phone will reboot/soft reset and should search for a signal upon loading. If there is a roaming sprint network/sprint network you should get a connection. Try it again and see what happens.

Journeyman

Well the reason why I had wifi on when I did the update was because the update failed 3 times when I wasnt on wifi...I figured it needed a data connection to update.

Anyways, I turned wifi off, the data roaming and voice still turned on, I held the top button and held the home screen button until the phone turned off and the apple icon appeared. Phone turned back on and with wifi still off I did the ##update#...and honestly it seems to be working slowly but working. I still am getting the "o" symbol and its slow, but Ive yet to get an error message such as "could not activate cellular data network"

Does this means it is working? And this is the fastest it will be for now? If I turn wifi back on will it screw up any progress I made?

*Update, just tried to go to the app store and go the could not activate cellular data network*********************

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat