cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just another annoyed iphone 5 user on the sprint network

Journeyman

Re: Just another annoyed iphone 5 user on the sprint network

im also not being able to send or recieve mms/sms or phone calls while im at phone, ive tried the network refresh and setting reset...no solution PLEASE HELP!!!!

Journeyman

Been with Sprint since 1998.  iPhone 5 user here as well.  Phone has been replaced once to try to resolve the horrid data speeds / lack of data here in Southern California.

I have 5 lines on my account.  Wife and Daughter both have iPhone 4S and never have the issues I have with my 5.  I join everyone elses frustration with the stupid $10 premium data charge for LTE when it's not even available.  So dumb.  I just wish i could get a reliable 3G connection once in a while. 

I just love being able to walk into a restraunt with 3-4 bars of 3g service and not be able to get any data at all.  Then the little "o" shows up next to the signal bars and I'm 3g-less.  Pretty normal here in Southern California. 

For what it's worth, a specific area where I commonly have this happen is here in Aliso Viejo.  92656 Aliso Creek Road and Enterprise.

Journeyman

Holyradness,

What version of IOS are you running? Please tell me it's not 6.1.2.? If so your probably going to have to wait for Apple to release a new IOS update, which will likely fix the problem.

Journeyman

eurokid83 wrote:

Holyradness,

What version of IOS are you running? Please tell me it's not 6.1.2.? If so your probably going to have to wait for Apple to release a new IOS update, which will likely fix the problem.

It actually is 6.1.2...Im assuming that is bad? I just got the phone less than a month ago and accepted all the available updates. Do you know why this ios version is bad? Why is it affecting the data connectivity? Was the previous version working fine? Any idea when apple is coming out with an update???

Journeyman

Did you start having problems at/or around the same time you updated to 6.1.2.? All I know about IOS 6.1.2. is that it prevents IP5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the network. I don't know if this is specific to the Sprint network but I believe it mostly to be the cause of the 3G connectivity and battery issue your having. Lots of people have been reporting the same thing, I was one of them. I ended up exchanging the phone for a new one (still running IOS 6.0) and my 3G has been great, battery life is very good as well. I can go 36 to 48 hours on a full charge with moderate use. I believe because IOS 6.1.2. has this block on the software updates it inadvertently blocked most or all of the data for the phone itself. This is of course a theory but it makes the most sense to me at this point. Unfortunately I don't know when the next IOS update will be released but I'm sure it will be sooner rather than later. I know how it is I was realy upset when I discovered that my new IP5 was basically a $750 dollar paper weight. I did some research into some other possibilities but nothing that I tried fixed the problem. Finally I said screw it and went back to the Sprint store and had them exchange it out for a new phone. I stayed in the store and made sure the new phone could get 3G without dropping to 2G, and it did. I haven't upgraded to 6.1.2. and I'm not planning on it. I'm not about to use my perfectly working IP5 as a guinea pig believe you me. Anyway I hope this answers some of your questions.

Journeyman

it's refreshing to see some other people having the same problems. I bought this phone in hopes that it really owuld be something great. Now, I miss my Evo with its little cracked screen and back door that barely stayed on. Never had a problem with it. Now, I can really only surf the net at home when I'm on my wifi, the 3G is insanely slow, I can never send a picture message without having to try about 20 times, and I'm constantly getting the "not delivered" notice on even regular text messages. Everyone else I talk to who isn't with Sprint has zero problems. When I called I was told it would take up to six months. The first "rumor" that came out with the iPhone 5 was that it would be 4G and 4G LTE capable, and I only put rumors in quotes because it wasn't actually a rumor. Everyone and their mother knew it would have that. Eveyrone except fo Sprint I guess, who by the looks of it, didn;t start updating their cell towers until two months after the phone's release.

Journeyman

See, when I brought up the whole "paying for 4G when I'm not actually getting it" thing the rep literally told me "Oh well it's like the guy down the street still paying for 4G but only has a 3G capable phone." What the hell does that even mean?

Journeyman

Yeah I'm not sure what that's all about but I do know all smart phones have that extra cellular data charge or whatever it is. Probably because smart phones put more of a demand on the network as far as data goes. AT&T does it as well. I know Sprint is definitely working on upgrading their network for 4G/LTE but I think they got a late start on it. I also was a former EVO 4G user and that phone was great. I still have it actually. If I ever add a line to my account I'm gonna activate it again. One thing that was really pissing me off at first is why did my EVO work great on 3G and now I have a IP5 and it doesn't work for shit on the same 3G? It just didn't make sense. The IP5 should work on ANY 3G network period. Regardless of the carrier.

Patron

Has your issue been resolved? I have the exact same issue. Unless i'm connected to WiFi I almost NEVER get 3G. 99.9% of the time I have a "o" and it won't connect to the internet. To top it off, my phone RARELY sends picture mail. I almost always get a fail to send "!" Sprint needs to fix this issue and fast or they are going to lose customers.

Journeyman

Not at all. And the thing that sucks is you call sprint and they say its apple. Apple says its Sprint. I honestly had no problems when I had my Evo, so I'm thinking about selling my phone and going back to a droid. The worst part is that I haven't even been able to test my phone to its full potential yet the return period is way past. It's like Sprint knew what they were doing. Everyone says to wait it out but I've had this phone since September and I've been pretty unhappy with it. You can't really go anywhere else either because for the price it's worth it....if I was actually getting what I'm paying for.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, to update Im still having the same UNACCEPTABLE data issues with my iphone 5 on sprint. After a few hours off researching different carriers today, researching data usage apps, and costs of different carriers, Ive had a breakthrough I think.

Verizon from all Ive read is the best carrier for data, with 3g coverage everywhere and LTE that blows aways the other top 2 carriers...sprint and att. Verizon is the fastest.

Sprint is the cheapest and I really do love the unlimited data and not having to worry about that. Plus Ive been a customer since the late 90s!

I decided to download a data usage app to start tracking my data usage to see if it would be worthwhile to switch to a carrier with a data cap. Im still not very happy about having to pay a $350 etf fee if I leave sprint, still not happy of having to pay roughly $30-40 more a month if I were to switch to verizon with 2gb of data and worry about going over my data usage. I would also have to buy a verizon iphone 5 because sprint and verizon apparently use different iphone 5 sim cards or whatever it is that makes them work. So I would have to dish out $299 for a new verizon iphone 5 32 gb and pay $100 for the new verizon monthly bill plus taxes and surcharges of $10-15. This is the plan comparable to my own with sprint. They offer a buy back of $312 for my current iphone 5 32gb...but I could get a $400-$500 on ebay for it. So I would still end up paying a few hundred for a new verizon iphone after sprints etf fee and a new verizon iphone5 32gb.

So thats my research on switching if I were to switch right now....a few hundred up front and 30-40 dollars more per month for the bill. Is it worth having reliable and super fast data coverage basically anywhere with LTE in many many locations??? Im still debating it.

So, back to the data usage app. I downloaded Onavo Extend app which monitors my data usage because I want to have an idea of what I use, even though Im unsure if it will be accurate becasuse the majority of the time when I leave wifi I cant access 3g anyway, so Im not too sure if this will be accurate, but I will try it anyway. (how can one monitor data usage when one cannot access data in the first place hahahah!!!)

Onavo apparently creates a VPN network to route all internet data through its cloud server to send data to the iphone...it compresses data to significantly cut down on data usage. Google it!

Anyways I installed this app at my house connected to wifi. I turned wifi off to try it out and onavo activated and a VPN icon popped up on the top of my iphone (Onavo only activates when you are no longer on wifi). So far I am able to get data signal without being on wifi! Grant it Ive only tried this for a little bit inside my house (Ive tried no wifi in my house before without onavo and I could not get a 3g signal)...the real test comes when I go to work tomorrow leaving wifi for the entire day. But so far this seems to do the trick...it is still slow but Ive yet to receive any messages such as "could not activate cellular data network" or "no internet connection"

I would advise anyone to try this and see if it works and post your results. Its worth a shot! I know weve tried everything else there is to try, and Ive never heard of anyone trying this before, so maybe this is the trick???

Good luck!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat