Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

I'm so angry right now I'm shaking....Just got off the phone with tech support again-- the so called "work around" that the tech suggested to me the other day (factory reset then leaving the phone off for 20 minutes before re-setting up) didn't work (as I actually figured) so I called back (as I was instructed to do)...the lady I spoke to today was awful.  Blamed me for the entire issue--that it shows my device is rejecting data from the cell towers so it is a faulty device.  I explained that it is the software causing the device to fail--and she kept re-iterating that she can't tell me what the reason is, but that it is a faulty device and if the troubleshooting steps aren't working we need to look at replacement.  I told her that I should not be charged for replacement, and after she said "nobody said anything about charging you"...she followed up with "well if you're out of warranty and not yet eligible for a new phone then yes, you will have to pay for your replacement--unless you have AppleCare" then went on to tell me the merits of purchasing AppleCare and how helpful they are in situations like this.  I kept re-iterating that I am not the only one with this problem, that there are thousands of us out there and that people who have had their phones replaced are still having this issue, to which she argued that isn't true that she "talks to people all day who have this same issue and she's fixed it with them."

It is an issue with Apples software causing phones on Sprint networks to fail...not a problem that we should be required to pay for (though we are everyday that this remains unresolved--with our monthly data fees).   She made me update to 7.0.3 saying that it would fix the issue, because it says it fixes issues with iMessage and Siri (and "you really want Siri to function correctly" wtf? No, I want cellular data!).   After the update, I had no service what-so-ever and ##clear# wouldn't work nor ##update#, to which she replied that again my device is failing and I need to go to the Apple Store to have them fix it.  I AM PAYING SPRINT---They need to fix this ASAP!  I have spent more time than I have trying to fix this, I refuse to go waste more time on this problem. And I refuse to give Sprint (or Apple) money to replace my failing device--when they caused it to fail.  I am ready to leave Sprint--this is the same customer service I've experienced for 6 years now, but because liked my plan I stay.  But, as I also refuse to pay the termination fee--so Sprint really has us over a barrel.

When the agent asked if I knew where the nearest Apple Store or Sprint Repair center was I hung up on her.   What more can we do? This is absolutely ridiculous!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the input jguevs but yours is the first report of unlock requests having anything to do with this. Neither of my phones have ever been unlocked or requested to be unlocked, so while it's possible the unlock request may trigger whatever issue we're experiencing, it doesn't seem to be the core of the issue that Sprint\Apple needs to address and resolve.

Immediately.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How is Apple responding to the people who are replacing their devices and then continue to experience data issues?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't blame you at all.  If it's any consolation, I'm still in the same boat.  I've gone through Sprint support, pretty much no help at all.  I've talked to Apple, and a factory reset of the phone is all they've come up with.  I refuse to do that as from all the experiences from others I've read I'm 99% sure that will be a waste of time and effort (and potentially lost data).

It's something to do with the hardware/software/Sprint 3G network combination.  And I don't believe 'faulty' hardware is the answer in light of the sheer numbers of people having the same problem.  Sprint or Apple or both need to come up with a solution to this.  It's ludicrous and poor customer service. 

The last Sprint tech rep I spoke with on the phone said she was leaving my case open as other people have called in with the same issue and they were looking into it.  So, I don't know if that's an official acknowledgement or simply heresay.  I think all of us would like to know if there's some official Sprint and Apple tech task force actually looking into this, or if we're all waiting for an answer to this technical quandry which is never going to come?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey all.  I am the original poster on this issue.  I have placed no less than five calls into sprint support.  I also have an existing, open, unresolved ticket with apple.  here are my opinions on the matter after over two months with the issue.:

- first this is definitely an issue with iOS 7 as it relates to connecting to 3G sprint service.  I don't know who is at fault but I know that's where the issue is.

- Apple has already swapped out my phone.  Don't waste your time.  There are NO workarounds or fixes that I know of. *EXCEPTION* - swapping out your phone and getting a replacement that's still on iOS6 but technically they are all supposed to be on iOS7

- I emailed dfalcon@apple.com and she has my existing trouble ticket, knows its an open issue and is talking to sprint about it.  You may want to consider emailing her because if her inbox gets flooded with the exact same issue maybe that will admit it existed.  She is trying to help me.  Please be nice to her.  She is also trying to get me an apple coupon (I do want a new mini w retina lol) as a result of the customer sat issues.

- Sprint has been useless.  I contacted their support and supposedly they are putting some goodwill into my account.  Have no idea how much.  If the bill becomes an issue I intent to file a BBB complaint.  That tends to get their attention and a response almost immediately

- As soon as I know a fix, I will post it.  This has been, is, and continues to be an issue.  It's not your phone.  It's not your towers.  Doing ##CLEAR# and ##UPDATE# don't do a damn thing.  Wiping your phone won't help either.  Nor will restoring from iCloud.  Nor will swapping devices.  Save your time and energy people.  It isn't you, IT'S THEM!

I wish I had more info to post but that's all I have right now.  If you have any other questions I consider myself the subject matter expert having dealt with this issue for months now.  I am as furious as you are.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info Eric.

I'm going back to the Apple store today for the second time.  My wife is having a fit about her phone access.  I want to see if we can get a ios6 version phone for her.  We have Apple Care.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am having issues.  My iphone5 and my wifes 4s has been toggling between 1x and 3G.  We both have been on the latest 7.0.3 software and her phone can hold 3G, but it do see it dip to 1x from time to time.   My iPhone 5 is horrible and is stuck on 1x.

I've tried the ##clear# and ##update# with no luck and even did a restore backup... at first it will say 3G, but then drop to 1x.

I live in south of Tucson,Az so no LTE here:( so like many...... My phone is worthless for data and really frustrating

vituja.... Any update from the apple store today?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wife got a new phone it it works the same after we left Apple. 1x and 3G fluxing. Apple says contact sprint and ask for a new SIM card

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tried new SIM card in mine. No change. I was going to go to apple next week and replace my phone. Just got apple care. But it looks like that won't work. Is it the 7.0.3 that's giving us problems? My wife has 7.0.2 and an iphone 5 but she is ok. I wonder why there's not more people complaining. Sprint and apple both said they haven't herd of this problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

vituja - I am still putting tickets in as I get them. I also had my sup. send in another e-mail to ask for updates on this issue. I have again been out for the past few days so I am catching up on things. The last update I sent to them were the phone numbers effected, and the tickets I had put in to date. They had advised me that they were still gathering information and looking into this. I am hoping to have more of an update soon, and will update as soon as I get it.

-Kris

Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think a lot of people are probably complaining, but because it's a pretty significant issue for those who are impacted, it's being kept pretty quiet. Considering no one would risk buying an iPhone 5 on Sprint if they knew of this issue, no reason for Sprint or Apple to publicize it.

I'm supposed to swap my problematic phone out in the next couple of days at the Sprint store, but I'm so hesitant to swap a perfectly working and cared for phone for a dinged up, scratched, and dead pixeled refurb over a stupid software issue - that may still exist in the refurb!

What a mess, and the lack of true acknowledgement by Sprint or Apple tech support is unbelievable.

Journeyman

All I know Im looking forward to switching to USCellular and getting a Samsung Galaxy Phone once my contract is done.   Never had a problem with them.   Is there going to be a class action suite with this  [inappropriate word removed] going on???   Im paying for something Im not getting!   Isnt that a breach of contract???

Message was edited by: TheModerator - This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat