Did you mean: 

NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

Kris, please PM me my case number. Thanks

Journeyman

Last night I went to my local Apple store and received a new phone - primarily because my power/sleep button hardly functioning.  My old SIM card was swapped to the new phone, which is still on iOS 6.  Guess what - cellular data works perfectly!

I manually setup all my apps/settings again and won't be updating to the new iOS until it is shown that Sprint and Apple having fixed this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Last night I did a restore as a new phone, then powered off for 30min and no luck....I tried to start off with a blank phone and then activate it or do the ##update# with no luck....phone never was able to "Starting Service Update"  I called *2 and the first thing that was said was "we are currently having issues with activation and are working quickly to resolver the issue"

So decided to do a backup from icloud and still no luck, still goes in an out of 1x anf 3G

Glad to see Sprint is supposedly aware of the issue......waiting for a fix!!!

Journeyman

I'd feel a lot better hearing some sort of formal response from Sprint rather than random phone representatives stating they're "aware" of the problem, or saying it's an activation issue (sounds like a cop out)...

I PM'd Kris my affected number a couple days ago and haven't heard back. Even the little responses we were getting here are becoming non-existent. This thread was started at the end of September and we're now into November and there's barely a peep out of Sprint or Apple. Seriously?

I tried some SIM swaps, I tried some fresh, phone off restores again, nothing has worked yet.

Journeyman

evancg81 - Thank you for the PM. I apologize for the delay in responding back to you. I have become slightly backed up with PM's at the moment. I did respond back to you just now. Once I have the information back, I will get your ticket in for you.

Kris

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Experiencing the same issue here.  Apple isn't much help atm.  Kris I sent you a PM.  Hopefully a fix comes soon.

Journeyman

Well, at least it is good to know that I am not alone on this issue.

Journeyman

After upgrading iphone5 to ios7.0.2, it would only connect at 1x to Sprint's network not strong enough to even make calls or send texts. Basically turned the phone into a ipod. the upgrade to ios7.0.3 was my only prayer and it didnt help. Sprint ordered a replacement phone for me and after updating it up ios7.0.3 there was the same issue. No help with ##UPDATE# as it kept failing. I went through the iphone settings however, General >> Reset >> Reset Network Settings, and after the phone rebooted and sat there for a minute the 1x finally kicked back to 3g and then LTE. Sprint kept telling me to try the ##UPDATE# and then shrugged when it didn't work so maybe going through the options menu will help some of you? Good Luck!!

Journeyman

Like everyone else, I've tried everything the fine folks at Sprint recommended. I posted a photo of my 3G connection showing zero upload/download rates to Twitter and SprintCare replied with its stock response of "That's not good! Maybe I can help!", which was funny since I reported the same issue to them six days after getting my phone and they forgot about me after asking what my cross streets were.

Anyway, yesterday's Twitter tech person told me the towers in my area weren't reporting data and that he would put in a ticket for them to be checked. I know that's not the issue, since it's unlikely they've been down since September 16. I also mentioned to him the rep mentioned above who said this was affecting 80% of users and he told me he hadn't heard anything like that. Surprise, surprise.

What I'm finding around my house (which is smack dab in between two towers) is that when I come off my home's wifi, I am on LTE for about ten minutes (with corresponding LTE speeds) and then I'm kicked to 3G and 1X with a ridiculously low connection speed. It registers a connection on my speed test, but I can't actually get any data to pass on the phone (websites, Twitter, email, etc.). When I'm out and about in DFW, I have about a 20% success rate on 3G. If I'm lucky enough to be at a stop light next to a tower, I can get LTE until the light turns green and I have to drive somewhere else. Ha ha.

My husband asked me what I wanted for my birthday in two weeks...I told him I wanted out of my Sprint contract.

Journeyman

If you're in an LTE area, you may not notice the issue. LTE does not seem to be affected. I'm in a partially covered LTE area. If the bad iPhone is in an LTE area, data is fine. As soon as it's outside of LTE, it's back to the 1x\3g juggle with no usable data connection.

To determine if your phone is affected, I guess try turning off LTE and see how it does on just 3G? The only thing I'm wondering now is if it's possible ##UPDATE# fails on 1x\3G, but works successfully if you're in an LTE area, updating the phone properly for 1x, 3G, and LTE reception. Later today I might try getting to an LTE area and resetting the network settings and performing an ##UPDATE#. I won't hold my breath though...

Journeyman

I have had many of the same issues and posted on here previously but I was able to resolve the problem with a new phone and then do some diagnosing to see if it would re-occur. Here's what i found:

• I spoke to a supervisor at Apple and was able to get them to provide a warranty replacement phone as a troubleshooting step.  They speculated that a transistor got switched when restarting during an iOS 7.x.x install and did not get reset, possibly due to a 'defective phone' (though it still seems like software).  I backed up my phone to iCloud & did an 'Erase All Content and Settings', then transferred my SIM as it did not come with one and set up the new phone as a completely fresh New iPhone (no restore from iCloud, no sign-in to iCloud, etc) which happened to be on iOS 6.1.4. I liked that, but wanted to upgrade to iOS 7 while I am still under 90-day warranty and to troubleshoot these problems. It's garish, but there's no arguing that it has increased functionality.
  • After confirming that it worked, I called Apple back and spoke to them about upgrading to iOS 7, which they recommended I do BEFORE restoring from my iCloud backup.  So I upgraded to 7.0.3 and again confirmed that I had 3G access and everything else was working too (different towers, wi-fi, roaming, apps, etc).
  • Then I reset my phone via 'Erase All Content and Settings' again (only way I could find to get to the 'Restore From iCloud Backup' prompt), and restored it from my backup.  After completing all of that, the phone still works fine.  My guess is it was something that was switched during the install of iOS 7.0.0 / 7.0.1 / 7.0.2 which could not then be switched back using the available methods and they have fixed that (or I was lucky) in the install of iOS 7.0.3. Based on my sole experience I'd hope Apple is working on a software fix (or software to reset the hardware), but if you have an iPhone/replacement on 6.1.4 it seems safe to upgrade directly to 7.0.3.

Hopefully this help some and I'll repost if I have further issues or get more information.

Journeyman

@evancg81: I tried ##UPDATE# on wifi/lte multiple times and it had no effect on the 3g data issue.

@BJPs: thanks for the post... Apple replaced my phone with one that has iOS 6.1.4 but I have been hesitant to try and upgrade to iOS7 again out of fear I will have the same issue. I'll follow your steps sometime in the next week to now try to upgrade to iOS 7.0.3 although I think I may avoid restoring my old iOS backup at all. I'll report back whether or not my 3g data is still working. (If not at least I'm within the 90 day warranty for the replacement).

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat