cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

It's almost 2 months since we reported this issue and still no solution from Apple.

Journeyman

Krisupport,

Can you please open a PM for me as well.   Same issue as everyone else since upgrading to IOS 7. now on 7.0.3.  in and out of 1x .3g.   Even when my phone says 3G I get an error -"Could not activate cellular data network".     Pretty annoyed seeing as I have been paying for this service for a month now w/o it being available to me. Wife has same phone/plan and no issue.  

I WILL NOT make an appt to go into apple and get a new phone only to have it not work as people have mentioned here. We should not have to do this.  I feel like we should all be credited for this major interuption in service which now seems as if there is no end/fix in sight.

Journeyman

iOS 7.0.4 update came out today.  Just maybe it has a fix for this issue in it?  (crosses fingers) Went through the drill of updating.  No difference.  Zip.  3G connectivity is still screwed.

So, is it the next update that's going to address this problem?  Would someone please just give us an ETA or general idea?  PLEASE??

I should get AT LEAST a single month's Sprint service bill waived simply because I can't use the service I'm paying for.

Journeyman

I received a call from Sprint support yesterday based upon the case Kris opened for me.

They acknowledged that there isn't a network issue and that they needed to work with Apple to get a software fix.  No further information than that.  The rep I spoke to did say that I was the 4th or 5th person she had talked to that day about it.

Journeyman

So I had a few hours in the car today on my way home and figured I'd call Sprint to see what they knew.....

The first tech lady I spoke with was very nice and knew of the issue.  We got to the part where she wanted me to restore my phone as "new" but it asked for the Apple ID and password, but since I can not get data (go figure), it could not verify the account....so she said she would call me back in about an hour, since I would be back home and have wifi to complete the restore as new phone.

...Well she never called back

So I called the tech support again and spoke with another lady and she was well aware of this issue and she said there is a "fix" to make this work.  (There is something on Sprints end that they can send to the phone to fix the issue)  She said that once the new ios7 was out all she did for her 12 hour shift was handle calls like this and she said 90% of the time, what she did on her end fixed the problem.  She said there are 3 typical issue with the new ios7.....Sim card not being read, can not make calls, and of course....no data.   She had me restore the phone as new, update to ios7.0.4 and then said she was going to put me on hold for just a min....then I got instantly transferred to a guy in Apple Care?!?!?  I have no idea why she did that or hit the wrong button, but basically that was a dead end.

So I called back a 3rd time and spoke with a guy in the tech support and he was aware of the issue, ran me through the troubleshooting steps, ##update# probably 20 times and still no luck.  He ended up saying I need to go to Apple since it is a software issue on the phone.  Also said he would enter this as a network issue.......bla bla bla

Sorry for the long post and venting, but basically wasted 3 hours of my day today.

If I go to a sprint store can they help with an iphone swap and try to get 3G with a new phone....or is it only an Apple store I would have to do this?

I really would hate to trade in my perfectly good iphone for a refurbished one!

Journeyman

I', using an iphone 4s, and I'm having problems connecting using cellular data as well. I upgraded to this phone because my other old phone(A Samsung Conquer) that I tether to use for internet to my computer was having issues connecting to the internet (slower than dial up, and giving me errors 95% of the time) and Sprint told me it was most likely because my phone was damaged in some way. SO, I upgraded early, and got an iphone because I wanted a change. Well, looks like I'm STILL having issues tethering/using my phone's internet. At this point, I'd leave if not for having to pay out the butt because of the contract.

Journeyman

Hello everyone!

I have been following this thread looking for a solution to the data issue.... Well last night I updated my phone to the ios 7.04 and NOTHING! Now my phone is not activated, no calls or text.... Nothing... and I need to contact sprint to see if they can activate my phone! I wouldn't recommend to update your system.... This issue is unacceptable, we need someone to help us because I am about ready to cancel my contract with sprint and get another phone.....

Thanks for all your comments, the only reason why I am still trying to fix this issue is because all of you.

Shaden

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK ALL - I CAN CONFIRM THAT THERE IS A FIX.

As noted by BJP, it isn't simple but you need a new phone (tell Apple that you have the AAA authentication issue), preferably one with iOS6 on it.  DO NOT SIGN IN with your apple ID when you get it.  Confirm that 3G works.

Then do the upgrade straight to 7.0.4. and AGAIN, DO NOT sign in with your apple ID.  Then once on iOS7, confirm 3G works.  Then erase all content & settings and do the restore from iCloud at that time and you should be good.

I can confirm that I am FINALLY working.  Not sure how else to make it work, but my guess is that something happened from the iOS6 -> iOS 7 initial upgrade that corrupted something.  Not sure whose fault it is, but alas, this works.

Hope this helps.

Journeyman

Vituja, did you sign in with your apple id BEFORE doing the restore?  Do NOT sign in with your apple id until you are working on iOS7

Journeyman

eric.rahman, what role do you think signing in with your AppleID plays?

Currently I am on a replacement iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, signed in with my AppleID (but backups not set - either the cloud or via itunes).  Do not restore anything with this new phone.

Wonder if I should try and upgrade the iOS to 7.0.4.  Am obviously concerned about losing my cellular data, which is currently working.

Journeyman

I don't know for sure, but here's what I would do if I was in your shoes - you could just stay on iOS6, I wouldn't but you could.

first I'd erase all content and settings, then I would verify 3G was working on the phone on iOS6

then I would upgrade to iOS7 and again NOT sign in and verify 3G works.  Then and only then would I restore from iCloud.  Don't know what issue signing in presents but best to work from a virgin load so you know you aren't taking the load that may be corrupted and bringing that to iOS 7.  The issue happened when people upgraded from a working iOS6 to the initial few iOS 7 builds. 

Hope that helps

Journeyman

Note: my original iPhone5 with the 3g data issue on iOS 7.0.2 was replaced by Apple back in October with a iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1.4. I have been using it on this version for the past month out of fear that upgrading would bring back the 3g data problem.

I just now went through the suggested steps.

- Backed up to iCloud.

- Erased all content and settings on iOS 6.1.4 build. Did not sign into iTunes or restore backup. Confirmed 3g is still working once activated.

- Upgraded to iOS 7.0.4. Did not sign into iTunes or restore a backup. Confirmed 3g is working once activated.

- Erased all content and settings on iOS 7.0.4 build. Signed into iTunes and restored iCloud backup.

All my Apps then reinstalled over wifi.

Tested 3g data and it is working. Rebooted device and confirmed 3g data is still working. Now, I am at my house where 3g data is rather slow but at least I am not bouncing back to 1x. I'll be in Philadelphia tomorrow and will update this thread should I see any issues up there.

Now we need someone who has the existing 3g data issue on iOS 7 to try out the above with their versions and post up the results. It needs to be determined if Apple absolutely must replace the phone or if there is some sequence of steps that can resolve this AAA authentication issue outside of an initial replacement.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat