cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

That eric.rahman.  That did work.  I am now on iOS 7.0.4 with cellular data working!

I did the same steps as DmC878 and everything seems to be working.

I am currently restoring a backup I made via iTunes, which was made under the 'non-working' iOS 7.0.3.  Everything seems be proceeding properly.  3G data is holding strong.

Journeyman

Hi Eric,

My phone is aleady on ios7.0.4

I had reset everything and bypassed the cloud restore. So I have a clean phone. But 1x/3G was still fluxing.

So even with a new phone and SIM card without a iCloud restore, the issue still persists.

Journeyman

You bypassed the cloud restore but did you sign-in with your Apple ID? That seems to be the crucial step..

Journeyman

I did a backup of my 7.0.4 iOS iPhone5 with this issue to iTunes.  I then wiped my phone completely and did not sign into iCloud or restore the phone from the iTunes backup.  I waited to see what would happen with my data connection once activated.  Once activated it appeared that my phone was locking to a 1x data connection without flip-flopping to 3G.  Not a fast connection obviously, but it appeared stable.  I didn't spend a ton of time with it in that configuration before I decided to try the restore from iTunes backup.  Once I restored the iTunes backup my phone went back to the 1x->3G flip-flopping behavior with the unstable data connection.

I don't have time now, but at some point I will probably try wiping the phone to defaults again w/out an iCloud sign-in or restore from backup to see if this 'stable' 1x connection behavior I thought I observed earlier was a reality or just a figment of my imagination....

But regardless of all that......where o' where is the feedback from Apple or Sprint on this issue?  What in the heck is going on with our phones?  Please put us out of our misery!

Journeyman

Hi All,

As I'm also dealing with no data in 1x or 3G for the past 2 month. I have been following this thread looking for a solution to the data issue, and today, I finally got it fix!

My issue is my "Activation Policy" was somehow switched to Verizon from Sprint during many warranty replacements I've had. This is an internal system error and can only be fix by Apple's engineer team. So, call Apple and ask to speak to a senior adviser to Verify your "Activation Policy".

Hope this helps!

Journeyman

I too have been talking with Apple.  I have been talking with a senior adviser who ran this issue by the engineering team and I am supposed to get a call back tonight from them to work the issue and he mentioned they will be doing something with a re-activation of my phone.  They are going to set the phone to a different carrier and then back to Sprint.  I hope this fixes the issue and the Apple person I am talking with has been very helpful.  I asked him what other options do we have if this does not work and he mentioned I might need to get another phone.....but we will see what happens.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for reporting back everyone about what was done.  This is a great community all trying to figure this thing out.

Even though I had received a new phone and sim, and perform the steps that had seem to work for some, like clearing the phone of all data and not login to icloud, there problem still persist.

If switching the carrier settings works, that that might be something that Apple needs to do with all of us here.

I've always said it is a software problem and not hardware.

Keep up posted and thanks for all those who have added their comments to the growing thread.

Journeyman

Well unfortunately my phone did not get fixed with Apples engineering help.  They changed my phone to a different carrier and then had me restore the phone again with a sprint setup sent back to the phone.

Got sprint service and the 1x/3G came back instantly     They recommend I get a new SIM card since all the info and data services are stored on there.....but not thinking that will work since many have tried a new SIM and still no luck.  He said that it is a carrier issue and how Sprint is communicating with the phone and my cellular profile.....So I called Sprint AGAIN......they said everything looked good on their end...re-sent the SIM data and still no luck.  They are going to send me a SIM card and I can try to go to a Sprint store to see if they are any help.

Starting to get really frustrated......

Journeyman

Sprint, do you have update on this issue? it's almost 2 months since this problem started.

Journeyman

I’ve dealing with this issue more than two month. I check this forum every day in hope to find a solution.

I’m VERY disappointed with Sprint. Why do you want unlimited data if there is not data available? Sprint! Where are you?

Journeyman

So after doing everything I think I could possibly do (restores, activations, sim cards, hours and hours on the phone with Sprint and Apple Tech), I had to result to swapping out the phone.

The local Sprint store ordered in my iphone5 replacement and for over 24 hours now, on ios7.0.4, the phone has constant 3G.

The phone came with the ios6 (6.1.4 I think) and the phone was activated and confirmed 3G worked, then upgraded to ios7.0.4 and also confirmed 3G worked.

Came back home and did an iCloud update, but for some reasons my contacts were not all there?!??    So I reset contents and then did an itunes restore to get my phone back up and running.

To me this has to be an Apple issue from the ios7 updates because nothing was done or changed on the Sprint side to make the phone work now.

The Sprint employee at the store said they have seen alot of different issues from the io7 updates and the only thing they say to do is swap out the phone.  I asked "what if this new phone still has the issue....they said....keep throwing new phones at it till it works"

I guess I don't mind since I'm still in the 1 year warranty, but I would be really MAD if I was out of warranty and had to pay for a replacement due to an Apple ios7 software release.

Hope this can help others that are having issues.

Journeyman

Hi All....you can now add me to the list of those that had no recourse but to get a new device.  I had tried all Sprint's, Apple's, and this forum's possible solutions to fix my iPhone5 with this issue to no avail.  Sprint called me back on my case telling me this was a 'known issue' and that device replacement was the only fix.  They told me to visit the Apple Store to have them replace my device.  So, it took some time, but after hearing my entire story and all the futility and seeing the issue themselves.....the good people at my local Apple store had me work through Apple's support system (800 support line) and it was decided that replacing the hardware was the only logical thing that could be attempted next.

So, Apple store appointment this evening got me my new iPhone 5.  The Apple Genius I was assigned was very skeptical that a new device would fix the issue.  I wasn't.

So: same SIM card, same carrier, same exact OS release (iOS 7.0.4), same signal area.  The only difference was the phone itself.  And my 3G now works solidly.  Came home.  Still works.  Solid 3G.  Huzzah.

My conclusion to all this is that the Apple hardware was fine...that the hardware of the phone I left behind was fine.....but that the firmware update somehow corrupted the phone's 3G capabilities (at least in terms of Sprint's 3G network) when I went from iOS 7 to iOS 7.0.2.  I'm sure there's some way to fix this issue that doesn't involve hardware replacement, but at this point I get the impression neither Apple nor Sprint is going to look at it closely enough to ever figure out how to address it that way.  Neither organization has been able to pinpoint the problem in 2 month's time....or seems to be getting any closer.  I find that fact mystifying and a bit disturbing, honestly.  Perhaps it isn't a large enough or widespread enough issue for them to care to.

BTW, I set up the phone as a new device and simply attached my iCloud account.  There's no way I'm going to try restoring this new phone from my old phone's backup....I also don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable doing future iOS upgrades given this experience!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat