Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

Hi Kris,

I just received this note a few days ago from the Apple communities and am not sure what to make of it.  Basically it is saying that this is a carrier related issue.  Can you comment about this

Re: Why ismy iPhone 4s switching from 3G to 1x randomly?

created by mav356 in iPhone Hardware - View the full discussion 

Hello everyone,

This is a problem with Verizon and Sprint Carries, the 1x everyone sees is something not all of iphone costumes are used to see, so let me explain.

The 1x is simply de representation of Edge (E) which is the 2G service from both carriers. Now, the iOS isn't a problem at all, the real issue is that as carriers start leaving and "deactivating" the 2G service it makes the CDMA phones to fluctuate from either 3G, 4G, LTE and then back to 2G. One thing that might help is taking the SIM card out and wait for about 10 minutes. When the time goes by before putting the SIM card back in restart the phone holding the Power/Home buttons. Then afterwards proceed to getting the SIM card back in place. All of this will make the phone search for the appropriate signal according to the device which in this case are iPhones.

In a brief summary, the 1x is just the 2G service either from Verizon or Sprint. Now, if this is really getting to be a problem to a point it starts affecting calls try the solution I leave here, if you still get it then you might reay want to reconsider having a serious talk with your provider or switch to another network. If you have any more questions, please let me know. I might be able to help.

Alex, aka mav356

Journeyman

Vituja, this is mostly inaccurate in relation to our phone problem. While it's true 1x is essentially 2G service, in the instance of our iPhone 5 problems, it has nothing to do with network upgrades, 2G service getting deactivated, your SIM card needing to be removed and re-inserted, or voodoo witches uncursing our broken phones. Alex was trying to be helpful and provide a full explanation of carrier related issues, but as we've all seen this was not a network issue but a phone issue (some of us had multiple identical Sprint iPhone 5's with the same problem, or multiple Sprint phones where only the iPhone 5 was problematic).

Our problem was related to update 7.0.2 breaking our phones cellular configuration and from what I understand, the part that it broke can only be reset by Apple (not even Sprint can reset the software that needed to be reset) - meaning our only real solution to fixing the problem is getting the phone replaced by Apple or Sprint. A few lucky users have managed to somehow fix their phones without getting them replaced, but that appears to be a very small percentage. Those folks should probably buy some lottery tickets - luck is on their side.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for clearing that up evancg81.  There is talk that a 7.1 IOS update is due out soon, but I was hopeful when 7.03 then 7.04 came out to only be discouraged.

Journeyman

So...now iOS 7.0.6 is out to address the SSL handshake vulnerability.  I'd like to update my phone, but based on recent experience with the 7.0.2 update essentially disabling all data service for my phone (the constant 1x -> 3G flipping), and having gone through h**l to get it fixed (full phone replacement was the only thing that worked), let's just say I'm pretty hesitant to jump into updating right away.

Has anyone that previously had this 3G -> 1x issue on their iPhone 5 and fixed it (whether via replacement or other means) updated to 7.0.6 yet?  Any problems?  I'm curious if either my replaced iPhone 5 that I now have or the new update itself will allow for me to do the update this round without issue or not.  Not very confident.

Master

I would strongly suggest you do this update, the SSL update is not updating the actual IOS, just the SSL association.

As far as your issue, did you try to reset the network settings under your general - reset? and after that do a ##update#

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

I too am having this issue.... I have dealt with Apple for 2 weeks now, i have done everything under the sun to get this to work.

Reset my phone in every-way you can think of

Ran every tests you can think of

Get a Brand new sim card from Sprint

Now am dealing with an Apple rep directly and he said sprint is supposed to call me and check the network. Like everyone else, my wife has an iPhone 4 with IOS 6 - no issues. Her phone will be on 3g and NEVER go to 1x, her battery lasts about 4 days even with WIFI on here at the house.

I'm really wishing i never upgraded to this NEWEST and BEST phone from Apple, so the question i want to know is - is it apple's issue or sprints???

Journeyman

the 4S I have is having the SAME EXCACT issue... Sprint says ih its Apple did the tests like you etc.. then Sprint ran tests n all of a sudden Oh they are working on upgrading the network in your area lets run test.  Did that nothing worked. This was over the summer... everytime i call they say the same BS... then tried to offer me a deal to buy a wifi thing to make the signle stronger. Uuuuum my Wifi is working just fine I have no network.. very unhappy with Sprint ... very unhappy.... they arent doning a thing to help the issue and then say welll nothing else we can do and send me back to apple. UUUM I trust Apple before Sprint they say its Sprint and the crappy network they have. Take some responsibility Sprint get your act together or do siomething to make things better on our end. Paying for services we cant even use! 

Journeyman

> I would strongly suggest you do this update, the SSL update is not updating the actual IOS, just the SSL association.

What caused my issue in the first place was simply updating from iOS 7.0 to iOS 7.0.2.  Once I did that update, I had a good 6 weeks of connectivity problems wherein I might as well have not had a data plan.  It was terrible and basically turned my phone into a brick.  Again, the only resolution to my issue was to physically replace the entire phone with a new one.  That being said, I fail to see how the update from 7.0.4 to 7.0.6 would be much different in that regard (since 7.0 -> 7.0.2 was a 'minor update' too)

> As far as your issue, did you try to reset the network settings under your general - reset? and after that do a ##update#

Of course.  About 10-20 times I tried that.  Did zero.  I also did the wipe the phone completely clean and restore from backup method.  Did zero.  The problem still persisted.  They replaced the SIM card.  No dice.  They actually had Sprint deactivate and reactivate my phone.  No difference.

In the end, I received no real explanation from Sprint.  I received no real explanation from Apple.  The only reason why I ever got anywhere with this issue was because the Apple Genius I worked with at the Apple Store had tried everything he could think of and they were out of ideas.  They tried replacing my phone wholesale as a 'last resort' and didn't expect it to work.  It did.  Using my same service and provider (Sprint).  I knew it would.  They could only shrug and were simply happy it fixed my issue.

To begin with, they wanted me to pay for the new phone as I was out of warranty.  I simply flat out refused to do that as there was obviously nothing wrong with the phone hardware.  The problem only manifested after I updated to iOS 7.0.2.  The phone was perfect before that.  I expect there was some Sprint network to iPhone 5 + iOS 7.0.2 firmware incompatibility that hadn't been discovered or fully vetted yet that was causing the issue.  But again, I never did get a real explanation.

Journeyman

> I'm really wishing i never upgraded to this NEWEST and BEST phone from Apple, so the question i want to know is - is it apple's issue or sprints???

I really wish I had an answer for you, 1lolo.  All I know is that I did everything under the sun as well and the only solution was for me to replace my phone entirely.  What I'd like to know is what Sprint's official word is on this problem.  I don't know that I ever heard anything officially from them acknowledging this problem and what the cause was/is.

Master

1lolo9411,

We are here for you and we will do our best to help.  If your wife's line is fully functioning and not experiencing such issues it is a possibility it is device related and not network.  Let's play it safe and check every angle.  With your device hold the power and home button until the Apple logo appears.  You won't lose any data this process disconnects and reconnects you to the network (network refresh).  Once completed and restores back to the main menu test all features and let us know if any improvement or not.

Sprint Social Care Team

David

Master

blackmx3gs,

Thank you for this update on your experience in having a resolution provided.  Please do let us know if you have any questions.

Sprint Social Care Team

David

Journeyman

Hi David,

I'm glad to share my experience with everyone here...I'm just disappointed it was a negative one.  I'd much prefer to have wonderful things to say.

In any case, I do have a question in that I'm contemplating upgrading from iOS 7.0.4 to 7.0.6 on my iPhone5.  I'm wondering if I'm at risk for experiencing the same connectivity problems I had going from 7.0 to 7.0.2 that caused me to have to replace my phone entirely.  I have absolutely no desire to have to go through that again.  Nor is there any good reason I can think of that I should have to.  But again, the last experience left me not real confident that it wouldn't happen again since neither Sprint nor Apple had an explanation for what happened to my phone during the update to 7.0.2.

I'm honestly still waiting for an answer.  Why I can't get one from either company baffles me.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat