Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

So update on mine,

Sprint called me today stating that this was a problem that Apple needs to resolve, and that I need to contact Apple and see what they can do to fix it.

So even though I had seen users stating that they had done this, with no luck I went down that route.

I have contacted Apple and they have come to the conclusion it is a bad phone.  I still have Apple One Care on my phone, so they are sending me a replacement.

I will let you all know if this works

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the update, but a new Iphone5 running IOS7.0.3 will not change the 1x/3G or the "no data" issues.

Sprint called me and said that their techs are reviewing the issue based on similar tickets in their system.  I will get a call or PM when the issue is resolved.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That is not necessarily true - a replacement iPhone5 may resolve the issue. This doesn't affect every iPhone5. My girlfriend has this issue - her daughter does not. Identical model iPhone5's, both on 7.0.3.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I spent hours at the Apple store on several different visits. Got 3 new phones that worked perfect on IOS 6. Each time the tech at the Apple store update the phone to IOS 7.0.2 the problem returned. I'm guessing its hardware issue with the new software. Not sure why some phones have this problem and some don't.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They need some way to narrow down what phones it is affecting. I too was given a new phone (out of warranty) but refused to allow them to upgrade it to iOS 7. I may try and update it in the next few weeks (before the 90 day warranty expires) but am hesitant as it was quite the hassle dealing with both Sprint & Apple the first time around. I spent +20 hours jumping through hoops until they finally agreed to give me a new phone for free.

And, as the days go by the chances of even finding a phone in stock with iOS6 still on it get slimmer. When the Apple rep replaced mine she stated there were not allowed to let the phones leave the store without being upgraded to iOS7 but I flat out refused as there is no doubt in my mind 7.0.2 was the root cause of my problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got off with the most wonderful customer service tech, Kristen, who called due to my tech ticket.  She had indeed heard of this issue, and was very understanding.  She never once told me this was an Apple issue and that I needed to deal with Apple to resolve this.  I asked if Sprint had contacted Apple regarding this--since that seems like the obvious solution, and she said her boss told her that yes, contact has been attempted, but since it is Apple nothing is easy and it's all top secret so really nobody even knows what is going on.   She noted that my phone was listed as "rejecting" data, which is why we can't connect...she said their most current advice or "attempted work-around" is to erase all content and settings (as many of us have done numerous times!) but to leave the phone off for 20 minutes before setting it back up.   No idea if it will work or not--I"m about 10 minutes into my 20, but she said that seems to be the key that has worked for *some* people (most people immediately reload/re-set up their phones).  She told me to call back after I've reset the phone up to let her know if it is successful and if it is not they will take additional measures, including replacement.  We'll see....fingers crossed-I'll let you all know!

Highlighted
Journeyman

sprint getting dropped

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep I have the same issue!   Tried ##update#  and soft reset.   Im out of warranty so I hope this can be Fixed!!!!     Please Hurry!  Anytime I try to use the internet it switches from 3G to 1x and then get a network error.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

We tried hat jensamuels75 suggested - no change.

I do find it funny that when I complained to Apple they said it was a hardware problem and that it couldn't be iOS7's fault. HAHA. Every single one of us just happened to have a cellular antenna in our phone go bad at the exact same time we upgraded to iOS7. Right.

It almost feels like one of the updates is provisioning our phones to use the wrong towers or something, or expect the wrong towers. Either way, this is a huge mess and whether it's Apple or Sprints fault, someone needs to speak up and admit there's an issue and provide a timeline for resolution (no to mention some credits of some kind as having no data access yet paying full price every month is frustrating and ridiculous.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't think it's an iPhone hardware or iOS issue.  This happened to me with iOS6 after Sprint unlocked my phone for international use.  After my update and restore, the issue started happening.  It would hold an LTE signal but never 3G.  And since LTE is spotty, it would always go from 1x to 3G then to 1x.  A few Sprint reps even had the audacity to say "well, just use LTE".  LOL.  I would if it was fully rolled out and reliable.  Sprint was of no help and Apple eventually replaced the phone since they were unable to fix the issue.  They tried everything and even had a Sprint technician on the line.  A few days ago, I asked Sprint to unlock my replacement phone for international use.  Again, after the update and restore, the issue appeared.  This time, with iOS7.  Again, Sprint was of no help and customer care hung up on me a few times.  At one point, a representative placed me on an infinite hold while trying to reach his / her manager, and since I was trouble shooting on my own (reset, restore, ##update#) I figured I would stay on the line.  So after a few minutes of being on an infinite hold (over 20 minutes), I decided to conference the call with another call to Sprint customer care (the first rep and the promised manager never came on the line) to prove my point of terrible service.  This is now my third phone and unlock request.  If the issue appears on a new phone, then bye bye Sprint.  Good luck with your continued subscriber losses and your NOTWork Vision project.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info jguevs.

But for me, I did not have my phone unlocked and am still having these issues along with all those in this thread.  Sprint has yet to solve this issue.

It is definitely an issue with IOS7 since I never had this before the update.  I suspect that the signal in my area is not optimal, so the software is bumping down to 1x when I use to get 1 or 2 bars at 3G. 

As I drive to work, I notice some LTE and mostly 3g, but some areas along my 55 mile commute drops to 1x.  And as I said in my original post, even when I get a strong 3g, the phone sometimes cannot connect to the network.  I get message like "Net work not active" and I lost my music streaming and GPS (waze) connectivity back to the internet.  Heck, even standing still, I often have to turn on/off the airplane mode just to get my network connection back. This happens on my phone and my wife's even though we are 55 miles apart

Did anyone else have their phone unlocked like jguevs?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Replace your phones or your carrier and your problem will be solved.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat