cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data service after iPhone 5 update 7.0.2

Journeyman

Re: No data service after iPhone 5 update 7.0.2

Ok, not going to waste my time with setting it up as a new phone then.

I sent a bug report in to Apple feedback. If this isn't fixed quickly I'll be forced to buy a new phone.

Journeyman

Just thought I would post an update.

Back on the phone with Sprint and then Apple this morning. The short version is Sprint says Apple knows of this problem and I have to contact them. Apple rep states I have already been through all the troubleshooting steps and the only thing left to do is replace the phone at my cost. That's some great strategy, break all the phones via a software update just when the warranty expires and then tell your customers to just purchase a new one. I honestly think this is the worst customer service I have ever heard of and Apple is supposed to be the leader here?

So the only thing I can think of is to try and revert back to a version of iOS older than 7.0.2 (non even sure if this is possible). I've got a few hours to figure it out after which I have to bite the bullet and just go purchase a new phone, which needless to say will never be another Apple.

Journeyman

Apple says there is no way to revert back to iOS 6

Journeyman

coloradog wrote:

Ok, so on my second trip to the Apple store, they again did a full reset of my phone as though it was a new iPhone. I suggest saving all photos and videos in a folder on your computer hard drive beforehand. The tech thinks that after the first time Apple reset my phone and then I did the restore from backup on my computer, the bug that was in the original software download came back onto my phone, thus causing the problem again. This is why my phone worked after they did the reset the first time, but after doing the restore from backup, when I got home (to bring my settings and photos back onto my phone) I started to have the exact same issue with not connecting to the Sprint Data network.

So this second time, after Apple did the reset as a new iPhone, I did NOT do any "restore" when I got home. I had to manually set all my settings and bring in contacts and apps from the icloud. My photos are all saved onto the hard drive of my computer, so I didn't need to worry about bringing them back onto my phone. The backup I made of my iPhone onto my computer must contain the bug because my phone is working great now. This is definitely an issue with the software.

Did you update to 7.0.2 after your last visit to the Apple store?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did not, but Apple must have put it on my phone because my Version says, 7.0.2 (11A501)

Journeyman

As of this last weekend, Apple has removed the *Normal* option of reverting back to IOS6. there are still a few ways but doing so may result in phone breaking further. Dont advise it but it can be done via jailbreaking / rooting. I would honestly say to step into applestore. I have heard from a few friends with issue that they were able to get more help instore then over phone.

Journeyman

Apple is forcing phones to update as they stop supporting older versions very fast after new version is out. If you are on IOS6, use it while it lasts as you wont be on it for much longer.

Journeyman

see my thread - same issue  still not fixed  NO DATA in 1x or 3G with iPhone5 using iOS 7

Journeyman

Just thought I would provide another update for those following this thread:

Last night back in to the Apple store during which they spent about 90 minutes troubleshooting my phone (pretty much trying everything I've done over the last few weeks). After resetting the phone several times LTE was re-enabled and they tried to claim the issue was resolved however I was quick to disable it and point out 3g was still not working. They then suggested that something was not provisioned on my account with Sprint correctly but I was adamant that the issue started immediately after the iOS update to 7.0.2. Finally they agreed to replace the phone to rule it out as the problem (which they did not have to do as I am technically out of warranty).

As luck would have it the new phone was on iOS 6.1.4. Now the Apple rep suggested they were not to let phones leave the store without upgrading to the latest iOS (7.0.2) but I was able to wonder off without them upgrading the software. 12 hours later and my 3g data is working again. Note I did not restore any backup (iTunes or iCloud). I now have a 90 day warranty on the new phone so hopefully Apple releases another iOS update in this window and I can decide whether or not to try updating again.

So for anyone else with an iPhone 5 and no 3g data post iOS 7.0.2 I suggest making an appointment and going in to your local Apple Store.

Journeyman

I had this same issue and have fought with Sprint up until yesterday when I was told I had to pay to get a new phone to fix the problem.  Today, finally, with Apple on web chat and Sprint on the phone, I learned the root cause and resolution to the problem.  Basically it boils down to a firmware problem with my phone that was causing the phone to reject connection to the network.  Sprint called it failed triple A authentication (or something like that).  There is no fix for it other than getting a new phone.  After hearing this today, the Apple agent told me to hang up with Sprint and made an appointment with my local Apple store to pick up a new iPhone free of charge.  The new phone had 3G at the Apple store and now after restoring the new phone with my old iPhone back up I still have solid 3G.  Finally.  I hope this helps others reach resolution,

Journeyman

According to a poster on Apple.com, this is what he said:

Re: Why ismy iPhone 4s switching from 3G to 1x randomly?

created by mav356 in iPhone Hardware - View the full discussion 

Hello everyone,

This is a problem with Verizon and Sprint Carries, the 1x everyone sees is something not all of iphone costumes are used to see, so let me explain.

The 1x is simply de representation of Edge (E) which is the 2G service from both carriers. Now, the iOS isn't a problem at all, the real issue is that as carriers start leaving and "deactivating" the 2G service it makes the CDMA phones to fluctuate from either 3G, 4G, LTE and then back to 2G. One thing that might help is taking the SIM card out and wait for about 10 minutes. When the time goes by before putting the SIM card back in restart the phone holding the Power/Home buttons. Then afterwards proceed to getting the SIM card back in place. All of this will make the phone search for the appropriate signal according to the device which in this case are iPhones.

In a brief summary, the 1x is just the 2G service either from Verizon or Sprint. Now, if this is really getting to be a problem to a point it starts affecting calls try the solution I leave here, if you still get it then you might reay want to reconsider having a serious talk with your provider or switch to another network. If you have any more questions, please let me know. I might be able to help.

Alex, aka mav356

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat