Oddly, my data is now working. I did the ##clear# but that didn't seem to correct the issue. An hour later I noticed that my data was working with any intervention by Apple, so it seems it was a Sprint data issue.
Lucky! Still not working for me. I've cleared the settings and data through the iPhone 3 times and even did a complete reset through iTunes. Nothing has worked yet... got an appointment at the Apple Store tomorrow. I am hoping that perhaps a new phone (or at least a new SIM card) with different CCID might make a difference.
Let us know if you figured out what happened.
Had appointment this afternoon at Apple store. They basically did a factory reset, set the phone up as a new phone or something like that and IT WORKED. They fixed it. THey said that it may have just been a bad download or something. THey tried to say that it also could have been the internal antennae going out at the same time as the software update, but I was not going to buy that. Do a full backup of your phone to the cloud or to your computer before going to Apple store.
Is factory reset is the same as doing restore from iTunes?
I did restore from iTunes and then restore from iCloud and still no data and bad battery life.
Well, I spoke too soon because it worked for a while after leaving Apple store, but this morning same issue, "could not activate cellular data netowrk...." Going back to Apple tonight.
I was able to get mine working at the Apple Store by getting both new hardware and a new SIM card. They gave me a new phone as I was still under warranty. However, the 1x issue still seemed to be there, so we then swapped for a new SIM card, which did the trick. So far it is working.
I would make sure you try a new SIM card either at Apple or Sprint when you go back.
Ok, so on my second trip to the Apple store, they again did a full reset of my phone as though it was a new iPhone. I suggest saving all photos and videos in a folder on your computer hard drive beforehand. The tech thinks that after the first time Apple reset my phone and then I did the restore from backup on my computer, the bug that was in the original software download came back onto my phone, thus causing the problem again. This is why my phone worked after they did the reset the first time, but after doing the restore from backup, when I got home (to bring my settings and photos back onto my phone) I started to have the exact same issue with not connecting to the Sprint Data network.
So this second time, after Apple did the reset as a new iPhone, I did NOT do any "restore" when I got home. I had to manually set all my settings and bring in contacts and apps from the icloud. My photos are all saved onto the hard drive of my computer, so I didn't need to worry about bringing them back onto my phone. The backup I made of my iPhone onto my computer must contain the bug because my phone is working great now. This is definitely an issue with the software.
I took the phone to Apple yesterday. Got new SIM card and new phone and it didn't fix the problem. The guy told me there is nothing he can do about and i need to wait until Apple sends new update
Anyone that is having this problem needs to go to Apple feedback and report this problem ASAP.
I went by the Apple store last night and got a new sim card as well... Just installed and activated it this morning but it looks like I am still having the same no 3g data issue.
The only thing left to try is a complete wipe with no data/app restore and set it up as a brand new iphone. One person mentioned this as fixing their phone but at this point I may just give up.