cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Order of Iphone 5, but activate on another line.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pre-Order of Iphone 5, but activate on another line.

My Husband wants the Iphone 5, however it is my line that is available for upgrade.  If I pre-order it under my line, How can I switch it to his line?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

If both lines are on the same account, Sprint will let you swap handsets.  If you receive two different bills they will not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You would be able to call in and make the activation change or just do this online. I did the samething for my wifes account last year and it took less than 10 minutes for Sprint customer service to help me out. Easier than you think

Highlighted
Master

Troy, That's incorrect. They can do whatever they want with the phone once they receive it, They can activate it on their line, another line on their account or sell or give it away for someone else to activate on their account/line. The 2 yr contract will remain on the line it was purchased for, but they don't need to activate it on their account.

TroyLovesSprint wrote:

If both lines are on the same account, Sprint will let you swap handsets.  If you receive two different bills they will not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

you r all wrong they have a new policy it just happened to me in july if you upgrade your line the phone has to stay on that line for 30 days or you will be charged full price for the phone after 30 days you can do whatever you want with it which is bull but the guy in the store had a workaround and if you go into a store to order they do something shady and you only have to wait 24 hours but it worked for me im in NY i dont know if it makes a difference where you live I think they do this so people cant upgrade and then sell there phone for way more on ebay or some other place

Highlighted
Master

That's incorrect also, The only time you need to have the phone activated on the line purchased for is when there is a rebate involved, In that case you need to activate it on the line purchased for until the rebate is approved, then you can do what you want with the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sent you a private message on board.  Can you check it out and share your thoughts?  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

when you upgrade your line through sprint and get the special pricing with there instant rebate you have to wait 30 days with that phone on the line you upgraded which is what i believe slash 77 was asking about (using her upgrade for a phone for husband) and if you switch that phone to another line before the 30 days they will charge you full price for the phone that is what was told to me by 3 sprint reps (one of which was a supervisor) on phone and 1 sprint store manager if you by the phone outright for full price and do not use your upgrade then you can do whatever you want with it . This happened to me in july that is a Fact.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They must have changed that since last year. I did that with my iPhone 4s. got it on one line and used it on another. no extra charges at all

Highlighted
Master

You were misinformed, As long as there is no mail in rebate involved you can activate it on any line you wish. They will not charge you full price if you do.

TMUNCH2500 wrote:

when you upgrade your line through sprint and get the special pricing with there instant rebate you have to wait 30 days with that phone on the line you upgraded which is what i believe slash 77 was asking about (using her upgrade for a phone for husband) and if you switch that phone to another line before the 30 days they will charge you full price for the phone that is what was told to me by 3 sprint reps (one of which was a supervisor) on phone and 1 sprint store manager if you by the phone outright for full price and do not use your upgrade then you can do whatever you want with it . This happened to me in july that is a Fact.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hate to follow all the "no, you're wrong..." comments with another, but most of these people aren't 100% correct as it relates to the new iPhone. Im a Sprint employee and ill explain to you what we are supposed to/allowed to do. First, it's true that if you switch phones on two lines on your account using an available upgrade (called a flip-flop) you lose the rebate if the phone is not on the upgraded line for 30 days. However, there will be no mail in rebate on the iPhone 5 when it comes out, and probably never will. There wasn't one on the 4 or 4S; they just dropped the prices across the board. So that won't be a problem. Second, we were told that we aren't allowed to do any flip-flops on launch day in the store- not sure if this is co. wide, but its definitely something to check on before you trek all the way there. Saturday and beyond, we're free to do any flip-flop upgrades. The reason is, there's a new SIM card that must match the phone it's originally activated on, and this process typically takes a while to transfer phones and SIM cards. We simply won't have time in the store to do that tomorrow. Next, you will only be charged a $36 upgrade/activation fee one time at the POS. If you flip-flop, you won't be charged again. The only way out of this fee is to be on a corporate liable acct. with act. fees waived. Unless you find an unbelievably nice manager that will credit it back on the back end, you will be paying this federally mandated fee. Lastly, that flip-flop can be performed between separate accts, but it works differently. Basically, the Sprint employee would have to take the iPhone 5 off the upgraded acct., then put another phone on that acct. This can be a dummy phone the employee has for those situations, or you cld bring another Sprint phone in that isn't currently attached to an account. Since our program does not allow us to swap phones 1-1 on two separate accts,we have to do it this way. After the dummy/temp phone is put on the (former iPhone 5) line, the iPhone 5 would then be put on the ultimate line- its final destination. The phone currently on that line could then be put on the other line and replace the dummy phone. At no time can you have a line without a device on it, and since in our system, we have to leave an acct in order to go to another acct, we have to do it this roundabout way.

Hope that makes some sense...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat