cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received my unlock code from sprint but how do I unlock my phone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Received my unlock code from sprint but how do I unlock my phone?

I recently upgraded to an Iphone 6 plus and now I want to unlock my iphone 5 to sell it on ebay.  Unlocked phones can be sold for much more than locked phones so I asked sprint for my unlock code.  They provided it to me but said that they can't help me actually unlock it.  Is there a way to do this myself?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Master

Laura1664 Unfortunately, we can not. Whether another carrier is able to or will unlock a device is subject to that carrier's policies and practices.

Mirleine

Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Laura1664 wrote:

I recently upgraded to an Iphone 6 plus and now I want to unlock my iphone 5 to sell it on ebay.  Unlocked phones can be sold for much more than locked phones so I asked sprint for my unlock code.  They provided it to me but said that they can't help me actually unlock it.  Is there a way to do this myself?

Let me guess. Sprint gave you an MSL code right? Master Subsidy Lock?

MSL codes are useless for the iPhone. Apple does not use MSL codes. If you want your phone unlocked, your IMEI has to be submitted to Apple's unlock database. Only Sprint can do that.

Guess what? Sprint doesn't do that for domestic use. Ever. Period.

In short, you were given a red herring to make you go away or you got a clueless CSR who has no idea about how iPhones and unlocking works. The code is worthless and will do nothing as there is NO way to reprogram the phone. Apple iPhones do not operate this way.

Accept the fact that it is simply impossible for your phone to ever be domestically unlocked, sell it for less and move on.

Don't waste your time trying to get it unlocked. It's not going to happen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same thing happen to me, i spoke with sprint customer service, they said my Iphone 5S was unlocked alredy, give me a MSL code, then i got a upgrade to iphone 6 plus, but now no SIM cards works on my old iphone. So i can use it a IPOD, sell back to sprint for 300,00 or sell only for people who want to use sprint network. So badly, i will pay off my phones was soon i can and move to verizon, they phones are all unlocked alredy.

Highlighted
Master

ALVARO1706,
We are definitely sorry that you feel that way. We wouldn't want to lose you as a customer. Sprint does not unlock phones. All that is provided is the MSL code which is used to unlock the device. We are truly sorry that you were told that the device was already unlocked but is not allowing other sim card to be functional. Hopefully one of your options that you are pursuing works out and we can still retain your business.
Rayon
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

So you give the code but not the instructions? What your saying is contradicting lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nataley4 wrote:

So you give the code but not the instructions? What your saying is contradicting lol

Dude. There are NO INSTRUCTIONS!!!

Apple does not use MSL codes!

It cannot be unlocked with an MSL code because Apple does NOT ALLOW THIS AND DOES NOT DESIGN THE IPHONE TO BE USED IN THIS MANNER. THE MSL CODE IS WORTHLESS TO YOU!

No idea how much more clear I can make it then that.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Our unlocking page below shows which devices are Domestic SIM Unlock (DSU) capable.

As you state the iPhone 5 is not supported as it was manufactured prior to the FCC agreement taking effect.

Subsequent Apple devices like 5s, 6, 6 plus etc are DSU capable and can be SIM unlocked provided all terms and conditions are met per the unlock page for domestic unlock.  But you are also correct in that an MSL does not do anything for DSU, that has to be done internally by a specific team in Care using a specific tool.

https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html#!/

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow. An actual Sprint rep posting factual information that is not regurgitated cut and paste!

Good for you sir!

I'll just add here, of which I am sure you are probably aware, that some iPhone 5 international unlocks have been converting to full domestic unlocks. You must not be a current Sprint customer with an active line and the phone must be inactive for that to occur.

It's also happened to some iPhone 4s's as well, although it seems to wipe the Sprint carrier bundle making it impossible for thus unlocked 4s to ever return to Sprint.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Ha ha, I try and do what I can.

I hadn't heard that about the int'l unlocked 4s and 5 becoming DSU capable, I'll have to look into that a bit more.  Thanks for the heads up on that, and thanks for being a knowledgeable resource out here helping to support folks here in Community, I really appreciate it.

Highlighted

Criminals All.

Preying on the ederly, poor and unsuspecting.  Sprint has never stated why it won't unlock just that it won't EVER.  The unlock code just keeps you going back to them.  I have never seen a customer policy more in need of an overhaul. FLAT OUT LIES

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat