cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous Voice and Data on iphone 5?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Simultaneous Voice and Data on iphone 5?

Will the iphone 5 support simultaneous voice and data on Sprint?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Wizard

After further research, it seems that the iPhone 5 on both Sprint and Verizon will not support data and voice simultaneously.

I have read articles that Apple made the decision to have a single radio design for both lte and voice which is different than our current lte devices that use two different radios etc.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Wizard

While connected to WIFI and 4G/LTE network, yes, voice and data will work simultaneously.

Highlighted
Wizard

^^^ Can you provide a source where I can find such information regarding the iPhone 5 on Sprint's network?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Wizard

• Simultaneous Voice and Data (SVD) can be achieved when connected to a WiFi router.
    Note: Users may also achieve SVD when connected to Sprint’s LTE or CDMA networks. 

• Users may not see a consistent SVD experience on Sprint’s networks based on numerous conditions.  
    • SVD should not be guaranteed to our external customers.
  • SVDO is possible on Sprint’s LTE phones/handsets, without assistance of LTE or WiFi, utilizing 1x and DO.  
    • Works only in optimal network conditions. 
    • Experience not consistent with SVDO; in weaker coverage, voice will take sole priority.
  • Provide consistent message to customers with past SVD talking points.  
    • SVD can be achieved with either LTE or WiFi coverage.  
    • CDMA + LTE, or CDMA + WiFi should be the primary combinations to achieve simultaneous voice and data, as with previous phones/handsets.  
    • If utilizing SVDO, the experience will vary, however, if in optimal conditions data speed will be consistent with EvDO speeds.
Highlighted
Journeyman

So what if I'm using Maps navigation on the iPhone 5 while I'm driving.  Will I not be able to receive calls?

Highlighted
Wizard

Voice should overdrive data. If you are using data and a call comes through, it should exit the navigation and allow you to answer the call.

Highlighted
Wizard

After further research, it seems that the iPhone 5 on both Sprint and Verizon will not support data and voice simultaneously.

I have read articles that Apple made the decision to have a single radio design for both lte and voice which is different than our current lte devices that use two different radios etc.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Voice and Data works. Doing it on my iPhone 4s now. waiting on a sprint rep and surfing through safari

Highlighted
Journeyman

Were you connected to wifi?

Highlighted
Wizard

If you are connected to WIFI, voice and data does work, not when using the 3G network on the 4s.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat