cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow 3G speeds on iPhone 5? This fixed my problem...

Journeyman

Slow 3G speeds on iPhone 5? This fixed my problem...

I may have just discovered a fix for the slow 3G issue affecting iPhone 5.

I was originally getting ~0.03 Mbps 3G download speeds in Chicago, and after following Sprint's documented procedure for updating the data profile, I was able to connect at ~1.5 Mbps, as tested using the Speedtest app.

Update the Data Profile - IPHONE 5 16GB

http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Update_the_Data_Profile_IPHONE_5_16GB/44049-1390

Be sure that you are connected via Wifi before attempting the update. The first attempted update failed when I wasn't connected to my Wifi network.

1. From the home screen, tap Phone
  2. On the keypad, dial ##873283# and tap Call
  3. Tap OK. The handset will search for profile updates and install them.
  4. You should be receiving a confirmation screen that the profile has been successfully updated.

You can see the illustrated directions here...

http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Update_the_Data_Profile_IPHONE_5_16GB/44049-1390

Hope this helps!

Pat

17 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Slow 3G speeds on iPhone 5? This fixed my problem...

I actually got incredible speed difference after the update. I normally get around 0.70+ mbps at home but after the update I got around 2mbps

I power cycled my phone after the update fyi

Here's a screen shot.

http://i.imgur.com/u6C9u.png

Journeyman

Well didn't last long. After about 15 minutes, I did another speed test and I'm back to around 80mbps at home. Oh well

Journeyman

Yeah, about 12 hours later I'm back to getting awful 0.02 Mbps downloads on 3G in Chicago. And my roommate with the Sprint HTC Evo LTE (on 3G) is still getting a little over 1.0 Mbps downloads. So it shouldn't be an issue related to daytime 3G network congestion.

Journeyman

Same here. My speeds surpassed 1mpbs after performing the same procedure but the gain was quickly lost.

Journeyman

...so what are you guys doing about this slow connectivity with 3G?  I am going to try to return my IPhone tomorrow and get a Galaxy S3 probably.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm holding off on sending in my GSII for the recycle credit until I'm 100% sure that I want to stick it out and assume that either 1) 3G will improve, or 2) LTE will be deployed in my market relatively soon, though it was not in the list of next 100 cities to get it.

Having just come from a Samsung GSII and being pretty unhappy with it, I'm hesitant to jump back over to an Android phone (even the GSIII). I'm curious about Windows Phone 8 but Sprint has no selection at this point :-/

I feel stuck with either something I don't really like (GSII - that had reliable, quick 3G internet) and something that I do really like (iPhone 5 - with unreliable, slow 3G internet). Not a place I'd imagine that Sprint wants their customers to be (if they care and are willing to attempt to remedy the situation at all, that is).

Journeyman

I've been fighting this battle with sprint now for 3 months. I have a 5 and my wife and son have 4s. I was getting .20 Mbps test results. Complaining and getting credits. Feeling like I was spending an hour a day on the phone with sprint tech support following up and "troubleshooting" the issue. I was persistent though. Anyways I've noticed a HUGE difference after the iOS 6.1 update. I'm getting between 1.5 and 2.2 on avg. could this have been the fix? Or is this a result of them addressing a tower issue because of my complaints? Sprint was well aware of my formal complaint to the FCC. I won't go so far as to say it is fixed... Needs more time and consistent results but it is looking good. Also as a side note, they are rolling out LTE in the Charlotte area. My tests there show as high as 12 dl and avg of around 7. Can't wait for lte for my phone but will be really happy with the current speeds for wife and sons 3G 4S's!

Journeyman

Follow up...it must not be the ios6.1 update. My home location I still getting 1.5 or better while at my work location is getting the same old .20 Mbps.

Journeyman

only one solution...leave sprint.  I challenge you to take tmobile for a text drive for just a week.  this is the only way to truly understand how crappy sprint's 3g network is.  If you decide to stay with sprint you have to pay the $50 restocking fee, but if you are a long time sprint customer like I am, trying out another carrier will be an eye opening experience.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.