cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So does the Iphone 5 REALLY need a protective case?

Highlighted
Journeyman

So does the Iphone 5 REALLY need a protective case?

My husband has the 4s and it is a BEAUTIFUL phone but he has an otterbox defender protecting it.....whats the use of having an pretty phone when it is covered with an ugly case? Of course he has dropped and stepped on it and it is ok because of it, but its like dating a dancer from the movie Magic Mike and putting a paper bag over his body to protect it

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Master

Depending on how hard you are on phones and whether or not you have a apple care+ on the device.   Given you husband dropping the device and then stepping on it I would say that it is a good thing that he had a protective case.   It is all a personal choice and risk.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have considered the Otterbox or something in that area, but the new Iphone has a new cover and scratchproof screen right? I do suppose it only takes one good drop or step to ruin a good phone. I did not get the Applecare with it, is there a certain amount of time I have to get it and what exactly does it cover? Does it cover if the phone is dropped or has water damage?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would advise you to get one...Otterbox has a few other designs than the defender. That one is way too bulky and I would never buy it unless I worked outside for a living. They have the commuter series and the reflex series(which I am seriously considering). I had a commuter otterbox for my Evo 4g and it was fully protected, never got a scratch. It wasn't too bulky either. THEN I took off the case because I wanted to enjoy my phone. Needless to say, four months later, it's got scratches, a spidered screen, smashed corners. Haha. I NEED an otterbox. And they are as reliable as cases come. I'm also biased because they are made in Fort Collins, CO and I am in Denver. But I've never had a better case. Definitely look into one of the less bulky designs...one good drop basically pays for the case in and of itself. Goodness, I should be an otterbox salesman! (I swear I'm not!) Haha.

http://www.otterbox.com/new-iphone-5-reflex/new-iphone-5-reflex,default,pg.html

Highlighted
Wizard

AppleCare+. It's all here:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

I use a Commuter case for my iPhone 4S. I never use a screen protector. I haven't dropped any phone for at least a year.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Squaretrade is also a good warranty company...better coverage and usually cheaper than AppleCare. 

http://www.squaretrade.com/

Highlighted
Journeyman

No, it doesn't REALLY need a protective case.  I have a drawer full of worthless old phones in perfect shape because I always put them in cases.  So I've decided to go with a naked iPhone this time around; the thing is just too sexy to stick into a case.

I purchased the Apple Care+ that includes two free incidents of accidental damage since Sprint's Total Equipment Protection plan isn't available for the iPhone so I'm covered if I drop the phone... and I never dropped the phones I had in cases so I'm hoping I'm safe enough.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat