Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Cellular Data Not Activated, ITS OBVIOUSLY AN ISSUE SPRINT.

Journeyman

Sprint Cellular Data Not Activated, ITS OBVIOUSLY AN ISSUE SPRINT.

I have been checking these forums out for the past month about this same exact issue, quite ridiculous. I obtained this problem due to my first iPhone 5 having a loose charging port, which caused the phone to not keep a proper charge. Went to Apple, they replaced it the next day (but only after having to complain to corporate through an email, which I had due to a prior Apple issue). The phone did not activate til at least an hour after me and the Apple guy called Sprint to activate the replacement iPhone 5. I left the store as soon as my texting and calling worked... little did I know, the data would never ever fully activate. And also, this replacement phone makes noise when shaken due to a 'loose' part in the phone (which is also a known issue for some iPhone 5's). I just can't win.

3-4 weeks pass... I visited these messages boards pretty frequently, and with all of the negative responses from all of the 'tries' customers have been doing to fix this problem, I never got the motivation (or time to set aside) to try and tackle this SPRINT and APPLE problem. After countless restores done in all of the methods, I finally called last week.

But side note, during those 4 weeks, I went on vacation to the Bay Area of California. I would 'randomly' get LTE (most notably in the Ikea in East Palo Alto, and some areas of Fremont, CA) and it was amazing!!! Oh my God! This is what gave me hope with this iPhone 5, I decided I will 'suffer' for the next few months (but even thats not guaranteed that 4G will be here before 2013). I had to drive around the Bay Area with no working GPS, very difficult and quite a nuissance. I was able to 'bootleg' it by loading up the specified route while on WiFi and keeping it in route til I start driving. Once the GPS is activated from wifi, the routing will still work with no 3G. I couldn't even complain about the Apple Maps due to it being a hassle to use the actual App!!!

But anyway, I got on a conference call with with both an Apple rep and Sprint... ended up being hung up on after an hour on the phone. I supposedly spoke to a Sprint rep also. Me and the Apple rep laughed to each other and I tolder her I'm giving up and thanked her for all of her help. I knew it was not the phone's fault, but behind the scenes networking problem.

This morning I decided to try again, I called and spoke to a Sprint person. One of the first things I said was "Ma'am, I have work an hour and don't want to be late. I'm telling you now I do not want to waste 30 minutes doing basic resets and troubleshooting with my phone.I need to have this advanced to the engineers or speak with a senior rep to find a solution asap"

I felt like she ignored me... and somehow she got me to restore my phone (with me knowing this is a HUGE waste of time), we completed the reset. And about 40mins later, I was able to speak to a rep. RIDICULOUS. I was late for work this morning, but I guess for a good cause. A work ticket has been opened (which should have been done last week, I asked repeatedly for them to send my problem to the engineers), I should be receiving a call 12-72 hours with an update.

My fingers will be crossed all weekend.

I must be compensated in some way for this suffering. I have used a whooping 29,000kb data this past month. Just awesome.

And we have been with Sprint since the 90s...

I also find it so funny that actual Sprint employees on these boards are giving BS answers and knowingly suggesting ways to fix the problem when obviously they wont. This issue regards the actual linking of the data profile from sprint and apple to the actual phone, how does this get messed up?!?!? Seems pretty basic in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!! I may be complaing way too late... but oh well.

Ahhhhh. If I don't have a credit on the next bill......................

I can't believe the amount of time wasted due to this problem, this has to affect Sprint negatively in some kind of way, hopefully this problem escalates? So they will take notice?

I have no clue how many people have this problem.

It's a pain restoring 60+ apps every time too, and my contacts aren't as neat as I want them, so just creating a huge mess for me all around.

19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

Also, While on vacation, I dropped into a Sprint store in Fremont, CA and bought an iPhone 5 case but also explained my issue to the workers there. The lady was dumbfounded, and told me to go to the Apple store and get a new phone. I told her that will not work and she just couldn't believe me.

I did go to the Apple store the next day (because I was in the Standford mall for other reasons) and two guys there were very helpful and explained to me that another customer had the same exact problem just a week before.  I laughed and said yeah its a problem, he offered to set up an appointment but I knew where that would go. I told myself I would deal with this problem once I get back home (to new orleans).

Journeyman

I'm having this same problem and all I can say is good luck. My issue is still not fixed.

Journeyman

Your thread inspired this posting sir, I originally wrote out my response as I reply to your thread, but it escalated and I started to rant. Figured I start a new thread with my own story, so I wouldn't clutter yours up. I hope yours gets fixed real soon.

I keep getting tricked thinking the phone's data is working, but very very short-lived. I have completed 5 hours out of the 12 to 72 I have to wait.  Oh joy.

Journeyman

I appreciate you checking out my thread. We should start a support group, heh.

Have you called Apple and checked to see if your activation policy/profile is loaded? Mine is not and I'm waiting on Apple to reload it.

Both companies are a joke when it comes to fixing this problem.

Journeyman

I found that out last week that my data profile wasn't loaded, I actually opened up with that question to the Apple lady

first thing and told her we must fix it and send my issue to the engineers. (due to findings on these message boards). We went over my serial numbers and what not, and she said its on Sprints end to link it up or w/e.... which led to our conference call between me, apple and sprint.

We were hung up on after an hour of total call time.  I talked to three different sprint people that call, and was on hold for majority of it. It seemed they were working and figuring it out, they were for sure clueless of the issue.

Me and the Apple rep had difficulty communicating back and forth due to the wonderful 'on hold' music playing over the phone.

I should breakdown my time spent with this crap....

• Three total Apple Store Visits
  • Two Sprint Store Visits
  • Two Calls to Apple (one w/ Sprint)
  • Three Calls to Sprint (one w/ Apple)
  • HOURS spent reading these message boards and trying out methods
  • At least 5 restores, done by myself (not including in-store resets or over the phone)

... and everyone knows that those calls were no where near 'short'.

It was comical that the senior rep for Sprint said (earlier this morning) " Yeah, the 3G speed has been an issue for some customers, its been really slow..."

I responded... "Sir, I WISH MY 3G WAS SLOW, if it were slow, I wouldn't be complaining. Its obvioulsy close to non-existant with only 29,000kb data used in the past month!!!"

I have dealt with Sprint's slow 3G quite fine ever since I had a SPRINT INSTINCT (rest in peace, what a failure of a phone, remember that? the iPhone killer, Sprint  Instinct??? but hey... even on that 2008 smart phone, I was watching youtube videos without of problem and NFL highlights on the NFL mobile app). I can't even check a score of a game with this data issue for the iPhone 5.

I will be watching Sprint in the business world, and see how their numbers are going to play out. They better hope this 4G expansion saves them.

Journeyman

We need this problem viral, and I have no clue why it hasn't yet.... The potential is there.... maybe soon.

The hits on these threads are crazy, so the online traffic for this problem being searched is getting up there. And with no issues being truly resolved across the masses, this should blow up.

This makes me believe Sprint does not care at all about 3G, and are truly putting all the efforts into 4G? Obviously just a thought, and probably not ture.

But man, thats so bad...... and its just so ridiculous

Journeyman

Oh wow, you actually got someone from Apple to call Sprint? I have a phone call scheduled in 30 mins to speak with the Apple rep I have been working with, and if their solution doesn't work, I'll ask if they can also give Sprint a ring.

Journeyman

Yeah, she suggested we call Sprint, and we did. She set it up on her end and conferenced the call. Good luck with yours!

Journeyman

So, hitting the 72 hour mark real soon... no follow up call or any kind of update.

high five sprint!!!!! maybe they will come in the clutch! (cough)

Journeyman

Thanks for putting all of this out here for the public to read.  I just got iPhone 5 this past Friday and my data connection (South Carolina) has been spotty at best.  For whatever reason it has a harder time pulling emails down than browsing or texts, and makes no sense to me at all. 

My previous Samsung phone never had a problem with 3G.  I could see myself going down the same path as you, wasting hour upon hour getting the runaround.  I got a decent data push right after everything reset following my 'first' tech support call, but now back to the same BS I have been experiencing all weekend.

It is clear to me that it is a Sprint issue specific to the iPhone.  Looking forward to seeing if you get any decent feedback from Sprint.

Wizard

Here is a workaround for the activation policy.

• Ensure the customers device is backed up
  • Perform a "Erase All Settings and Content"
  • When the device comes back up after the reset have the customer turn off the device for up to 30 minutes
  • Turn the device back on and go through the activation process
  • If the user is presented with an option to choose a carrier, please ensure they select "Sprint"
Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat