cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint iPhone 5 port-in from Google Voice nightmare

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint iPhone 5 port-in from Google Voice nightmare

Pre-ordered iPhone 5 with port request to move my Google Voice number to Sprint.

I prepared my Google Voice number and had it unlocked and waiting for Sprint.

After I had ordered, I read some horror stories, so I emailed and called Sprint in case they needed any further information. I was assured the activation wouldn't be an issue.

The phone arrives, call Sprint. Several transfers and thick foreign accents later, I was told to:

"Wait until midnight has passed on the 22nd (central time), then turn the phone back on and activation will complete."

Meanwhile, this message is still on my Google Voice account:

"Warning: Google Voice has successfully approved your request, but the carrier to whom you are porting hasn't completed their necessary action. If you are still having issues and your number doesn't successfully port in 2-3 business days, please contact your new carrier for support, as Google Voice is unable to take any additional action."

Today, the phone wasn't ported.

Called Sprint again: "What happened, guys?"

Sprint rep: "Oh, actually the previous representative meant it will take until October 22nd." (As in, a month of no service I would be paying for.)

Sprint rep: "However, I have put in a request that it be activated the 24th of September." (Do the midnight central time activation, etc.)

Meanwhile, I've still got that message in my Google Voice account on the port status:

"Warning: Google Voice has successfully approved your request, but the carrier to whom you are porting hasn't completed their necessary action. If you are still having issues and your number doesn't successfully port in 2-3 business days, please contact your new carrier for support, as Google Voice is unable to take any additional action."

I have a sneaking suspicion the 24th will come and go without activation.

So, my question is this:

Has anyone ever had to deal with this issue before, and what was the outcome? Any recommendations?

Alternatively, does anyone here work for Sprint that can maybe help out here?

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Sprint iPhone 5 port-in from Google Voice nightmare

I'm in the same boat. Got my iPhone 5 Sept. 22nd and the GV number still hasn't ported over. Not sure what to do. Doesn't sound like calling Sprint CS is going to do much. Has yours ported yet?

Journeyman

Any updates?  My wife's iPhone 5 arrived yesterday and we're porting her number from Google Voice.

I unlocked the number on Google Voice about two weeks ago, and it is showing this:

Phone numberStatus
(xxx) yyy-zzzzUnlocked (Approved [1])

You have a Google Voice number that has been unlocked. You can now initiate porting with your new provider. We will notify you by email once the number has been ported away.

By default, your Google Voice number is locked, to prevent unauthorized porting away of your number. If you ever want to port your number away, you will need to unlock it prior to initiating the porting process with your new provider.

1. Warning: Google Voice has successfully approved your request, but the carrier to whom you are porting hasn't completed their necessary action. If you are still having issues and your number doesn't successfully port in 2-3 business days, please contact your new carrier for support, as Google Voice is unable to take any additional action.

When the phone failed to activate itself, I called the 866-437-1818 number that was listed on the ship sheet.  Well, I of course was connected with somebody with a poor grasp of the English language....  I tried to explain to her that we were porting the number from Google Voice and they needed to do some stuff on their side.  After thirty painful minutes on the phone, she had me do a ##873283# from the dialer (which I found out is a network update), and then cycle power.  The phone came up and told me the it was trying to activate and it could take a while.  Well, that failed, as did the next umpteen retries.  The lady called my back in 30 minutes and it still wasn't activated.  She tried to blame Google Voice for doing something wrong with the number, but I told her that GV clearly showed that the number was ready to port, but they were waiting for Sprint to do something.  After being put on hold a few more times, she suggest that I wait 24 hours and they try again....

Anyways, it's been 24 hours and the phone still won't activate.  I'm wondering how you guys were able to get Sprint to complete the porting, so that the phone can be activated.  This is quite annoying....

Journeyman

I was able to get my Google voice number to port over to Sprint and work flawlessly. I can't remember exactly what I did (it was a week or 2 ago) but I'm pretty sure what I did was remove the SIM card once or twice and it was able to connect to the Sprint network. I could make calls but I could not text.

In order to get texting to work I had to go to the Google voice account I ported out of and clicked on "Get a voice number" in the left sidebar then "I want to use my mobile number". I typed in my old GV number, clicked search and then chose option 1: Enable Google Voice on your Sprint phone. Voila! Texts started coming in. I can't confirm 100% that's how I did it but hopefully you can use it as a basis to get your port working. Good luck!

Journeyman

alextmcdonald1 wrote:

I was able to get my Google voice number to port over to Sprint and work flawlessly. I can't remember exactly what I did (it was a week or 2 ago) but I'm pretty sure what I did was remove the SIM card once or twice and it was able to connect to the Sprint network. I could make calls but I could not text.

Do you know if your Google Voice account was in the same state as mine "Unlocked (Approved) [1]", as my gut feeling is that Sprint still needs to do something in their side to complete the extraction of the number from Google Voice?

I too wasn't seeing the Sprint network, until they had me do the ##873283# dialer sequence.  After that, the phone appeared to see the cellular network.

I don't even know where the SIM card is on this phone....

Journeyman

Well, after giving them about 48 hours and still no activation, I called back again.  This time I got "Christian" who spoke better English.

I explained the situation to him, he apologized for everything under the sun, put me on hold, came back and said that he is escalating this to the "Level 2" department, but unfortunately, they are gone for the day.  He said there was a problem when porting from Google Voice (they never said that it was a Google Voice number, but some other company name) and also said that it was a landline number.  Technically, I guess it would be considered a land line, since it's not a mobile phone.  Anyways, they said that the "Level 2" deparment will get the phone activated tomorrow, and I gave them a callback number.

Hopefully they get it right, as my wife is starting to get annoyed that she can't use her new phone!

Journeyman

The "Level 2" department called back the next day.  A friendly female with poor English said that she was from the "porting department" and would take care of the number getting ported and the phone getting activated.  She asked when I wanted the number ported and the phone activated.  I wanted to reply "Three days ago, when we received the phone", but I figured she wouldn't understand, so I said "as soon as possible."  She clicked away on her keyboard and said it would be active in ten minutes, and all we had to do was power off the phone, then power it back on. 

I didn't have the phone with me, so when I got in touch with my wife at home an hour later, I told her to cycle power on the phone, and sure enough, it finally activated.

It sure would have been nice if I could have done this the first day that we had the phone.  Sprint customer service appears to be a bit lacking....

Another odd thing that I noticed, is that when I call her ported number from a normal phone, it goes to her new phone.  But if I call it from my Google Voice number, Google Voice still picks it up and forwards it to her old pre-paid cell phone.  Quite odd!  I figure that Google Voice hasn't yet updated their internal database to reflect that the number has been ported.

Journeyman

For those in the same boat, my experience has led me to believe that the port usually takes about 3 days.

• Day one, they gave me a temporary number to match the area code difference between my current number (315) and my number to port in (585).
  • Day two, they told me to wait until midnight. ...google gave me the "unlock approved" message then, but I still had my temporary number.
  • Day three, they told me to wait until midnight again. Despite my skepticism (they'd already told me that once), the port finally completed that evening (before midnight).
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat