cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's iPhone 5 Unlock Policy

Journeyman

Re: Sprint's iPhone 5 Unlock Policy

Hi,

I called in to get it unlocked and the Reps told me wait about 4hrs then do the restore. Can you guys show me steps by steps how to restore it?

Thank yo

Journeyman

Have been going back-forth with a Sprint rep for a few days. She called me this morning and confirmed that my iphone is unlocked.. Called Apple and they still see it as locked in their database.

I will be testing a Rogers SIM card this weekend. Will let you how that goes.

Journeyman

Here's the reply I got.

Dear Sprint customer,

Thank you for contacting Sprint Worldwide. I have accessed your account and I do see that the unlock was successfully pushed to your device so you will have no problem using a 3rd party Nano SIM. The iPhone 5s are being unlocked manually at this time so you may not receive that automated message about the unlock.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us via email, phone or chat. Thank you for choosing Sprint WorldWide.

Journeyman

Interesting.  Thanks.

I'll also follow up with the Sprint Worldwide Customer Service chat to confirm what you've stated and I'll post back here.

By the way, if you do indeed get a SIM from Canada, please let us know if it is working for you even with not getting the "Congratulations" message.

Journeyman

Well, I called in today to check on the status of my unlock and the Sprint CSR said that my phone was not showing as unlocked (actually she said she was getting an error). So she put in the unlock request again and said she would call back in 1-2 hours.  I restored my phone from iTunes, but didn't get a "Congratulations" message.  However, the CSR just called back and said my phone is now showing as unlocked in the database.  I am tempted to see if I can order a SIM from Roger's in Canada to test with; I don't want to have to troubleshoot this while out of the country.

I suspect we don't get a message in iTunes as the phone is not completely unlocked, just unlocked for foreign carriers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone who has recently requested their iPhone 5 to be unlocked actually got it done or got it validated somehow?  I too requested my phone to be unlocked and they submitted a ticket no problem.  I got an email confirming to restore my iPhone after 24 hours to complete the unlock process.  Three days later, I restored the iPhone and didn't get the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked" message.

Now, I saw one poster saying that we don't necessarily get that message.  Is that true?  Can any of you confirm that this is actually the case?  I'm just wondering if I should even bother to restore the phone again or is my phone really already unlocked for international GSM SIM use now.

Journeyman

I too did the same check, and mine says unlocked too.  I tested it too with some of the other numbers that were posted at the bottom of the page, and most of those were locked.

I ordered mine directly from Sprint and got it on launch day.

Journeyman

When I spoke with sprint they informed me that so many people have put in a request that apple has yet to complete all of them I'm supposed to receive a follow up call this afternoon. I will let you all know what I find out.

Journeyman

I requsted my iphone 5 to be unlocked a few days ago through sprint.  They appoved the request and told me to wait 24 hours before plugging into itunes and restoring. I waited the 24 hours and then did the restore. I did NOT get the congratulations message from itunes after restoring. I called sprint back and told them this.  They said their system is showing my iphone as unlocked.  I then tried a ATT nano sim from another iphone 5 into my sprint iphone 5 to test it out. The phone displayed the 4G symbol and bars of service however the phone showed a popup message saying "not a valid sim". Im not sure exactly what this means, and I really didnt have time to mess with it.  I also only requested the phone to be unlocked for international travel if that matters. I have not ran my imei through the sim unlock checker yet.

Journeyman

Would love to see if anyone can confirm that an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5 will work with At&t or TMobile sim card. I know that the Sprint iphone 4s would not accept US sim cards.