cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's iPhone 5 Unlock Policy

Journeyman

Sprint's iPhone 5 Unlock Policy

Called customer service today. They told me that they cannot unlock iphone 5. Sprint's reasonable iphone unlock policy in the past was the primary reason why I switched from AT&T.

Is this a policy change especially for iphone 5? Has anyone heard anything else?

If they wont unlock my iphone, I am switching back to AT&T.

131 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Sprint's iPhone 5 Unlock Policy

They won't even unlock it for international travel?

Journeyman

Per a USA Today article, "Sprint Nextel said Monday that its iPhone 5s are locked. Customers in good standing for at least three months can ask to have them unlocked for international use only."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/story/2012/09/24/verizon-says-iphone-5-wont-be-relocked/57836744/1

Journeyman

So it sounds like I got a response from an untrained representative.. There's some hope.. I might switch to Verizon and get their unlocked iPhone 5.. I have a travel to India coming soon.

Journeyman

ok. Just called them again today.. The rep was fantastic. He asked me some additional security questions (from my credit history). I validated them and he put the request for unlock. He asked me to sync my iphone after 8 hours.. I will see how that goes.. Awesome..

I will respost when I sync my iPhone and get it unlocked..

Journeyman

mps1976 wrote:

ok. Just called them again today.. The rep was fantastic. He asked me some additional security questions (from my credit history). I validated them and he put the request for unlock. He asked me to sync my iphone after 8 hours.. I will see how that goes.. Awesome..

I will respost when I sync my iPhone and get it unlocked..

I just called Sprint and the rep said it was simply not happening. I got him to ask more senior reps, but the answer was a resounding no. This is rather depressing as I would really like to have this functionality that even Verizon has. Please update when you have one. I'd love to hear the results!

Journeyman

Had no issues with having my phone unlocked.

Journeyman

I also had no issue putting request for unlocking.

@ MPS and Joker

How can you be sure that phone has been unlocked? I just restored the phone. It was after couple hours of putting the request but I could not tell if it is unlocked or not. I did not see any message like that. Shouldnt I see message - CONGRATULATIONS YOUR IPHONE IS NOW UNLOCKED

Please help

Journeyman

Yes, you should see a message 'You iphone is now unlocked'.. I am still trying to get to see my message.. Will keep you posted..

Journeyman

MPS Thanks for quick response. I just put the request for unlock and tried after 2 hrs but it seems to have failed. I will try again tomorrow night. Please let me know when yours work and how long you had to wait before successfully unlock.

Thanks