cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status of iPhone5 Data Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Status of iPhone5 Data Issues

I would very much appreciate a response from a Sprint moderator around the rampant data issues surrounding the iPhone5.  iPhone5 users across the nation are reporting lackluster 3G performance, so much so that downloading an app will fail or take upwards of an hour to download.  Several folks in this forum and others (apple.com, sprintusers.com) have confirmed the following:

• Removal of SIM card improves 3G performance to usable - I compare this to the same performance I get from my EVO LTE on 3G
    • Voice Services are unavailable without the SIM card
  • Reinserting the SIM card restores voice service
    • 3G data service becomes unusable

This leads me to believe there is a misconfiguration on the device surrounding the SIM card, data services and the Sprint network. 

As many of us are counting down the days to our 14 day return policy, we would appreciate a response on the problems (is this acknowledged as a problem?  Has a incident been raised with engineering?) and if they will be resolved in the near term.  Many will return the device if there is no improvement before their 14 days.

Thank you,

L Briggs (a 15 year Sprint customer)

Tags (3)
85 REPLIES 85
Sprint Employee

Re: Status of iPhone5 Data Issues

Hello, thank you for posting. This is the first I've seen on this, I unfortunately do not have an iPhone 5 to test with, so I will be sending this to somebody to check into so, we may be able to provide some answers for you.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply, if you need more data, just look through this iPhone5 forum for many reports on poor data.

For what it's worth, my wife's iPhone5 has been working much better today with about .5 mbps up and down (up from .01 down/ 0 up since last Friday).  We'll keep an eye on it and provide an update later today after a full day's use.

Would be interested to hear from other folks with poor data on the iPhone5 to report if they've seen any improvement today as well.

Sprint Employee

I'm glad that shes seen some improvement, I will let you know what I find out.

No longer working Community Response.

I still cannot get 3G data (4G is fine in the Kennesaw GA area) -- my wifes replacement iPhone cannot be activated. I waited 12 hours in line and switched from Verizon for this?! Please have a CS agent email me at chris.k.sands@gmail.com

Journeyman

I am located in Cincinnati, Ohio and also having the same problems. I have contacted Sprint, went into a Sprint store and also went into Best Buy to return the phone. The gentleman working at Best buy asked me to give it a couple more days before returning. At best I have 2 bars & a circle for data most of the time I have no data and no service to make phone calls. I'm praying I don't need to call 911 anytime soon. Signed a Sprint customer for over 12 years that's really disappointed! I have more dropped calls and text failure on my phone line in the last 5 days then I have ever had in the last 12 years.<<< Please look at the date I started using my Sprint online account you are going to lose me as a customer over this.

Journeyman

Please see my post below, I have described my issue with no luck to customer service and in-store reps.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/480244#480244

Journeyman

Wife is now reporting poor performance with her iPhone5, constantly roaming / spotty 3g coverage, but too slow to use.  Took an hour to run the speed test app:

Test this AM:

Test Date: Sep 26, 2012 8:40 AM

Connection Type: Cellular

Server: Oxford, MA

Download: 0.34 Mbps

Upload: 0.51 Mbps

Ping: 274 ms

External IP: 66.87.80.xxx

Internal IP: 29.96.20.xxx

Latitude: 42.0996

Longitude: -72.6123

Test Date: Sep 26, 2012 1:20 PM

Connection Type: Cellular

Server: Oxford, MA

Download: 0.02 Mbps

Upload: 0.04 Mbps

Ping: 1120 ms

External IP: 66.87.82.xxx

Internal IP: 29.96.190.xxx

Latitude: 42.0989

Longitude: -72.6172

Other than the IP changing, not sure what could be going on.

Journeyman

Exact problem I'm having in Lowell mass and southern NH

Journeyman

Similar issues here in Boston/North Reading, MA as well. Having trouble sending basic text messages, and 3g indicator will flip to "O" and then almost all data usage is locked up. Can't do anything. Dropped 4 calls yesterday on I-95 in the Danvers area where coverage is solid. Something is definitely wrong here.

Journeyman

same problem, 3 new iphone 5's, cincinnati, oh

Journeyman

I am in Los Angeles and Whittier, CA. I can relate to these posts. Voice works fine full bars. Phone will show 3G and o and cycle back and forth, spinning wheel will come on as it cycles. On my previous Evo I could get 3G or 4G in the same areas.

Data is very slow to the point of unusable.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat