Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status of iPhone5 Data Issues

Journeyman

Status of iPhone5 Data Issues

I would very much appreciate a response from a Sprint moderator around the rampant data issues surrounding the iPhone5.  iPhone5 users across the nation are reporting lackluster 3G performance, so much so that downloading an app will fail or take upwards of an hour to download.  Several folks in this forum and others (apple.com, sprintusers.com) have confirmed the following:

• Removal of SIM card improves 3G performance to usable - I compare this to the same performance I get from my EVO LTE on 3G
    • Voice Services are unavailable without the SIM card
  • Reinserting the SIM card restores voice service
    • 3G data service becomes unusable

This leads me to believe there is a misconfiguration on the device surrounding the SIM card, data services and the Sprint network. 

As many of us are counting down the days to our 14 day return policy, we would appreciate a response on the problems (is this acknowledged as a problem?  Has a incident been raised with engineering?) and if they will be resolved in the near term.  Many will return the device if there is no improvement before their 14 days.

Thank you,

L Briggs (a 15 year Sprint customer)

85 REPLIES 85
Journeyman

Absolutely.  That's what the media is for.  At this point, we have an $800 piece of junk.  A $20 (non-subsizied) dumb phone would do the same as brick we have.

Journeyman

I don't believe sprint with everything going against this company.  What is going on??!!! Get a clue this is really insane. 

Journeyman

how do we forward this to the media? national news and or at least local media

Journeyman

was thinking we could send to engadget, techcrunch and some of those types of outlets. Mainstream news may be better.

Journeyman

At this point this is small news. News outlets already know Sprint is not doing well and has been making bad moves, the big news now is when will Sprint go bankrupt. Google it for proof. Many major business news publications are making predictions of not if but when this will happen. 

Journeyman

lets work on this as a team to let the media know. All thoese sites you mentioned as well as places like CNN, national Fox news, MSNBC Etc Etc even local Fox news, ABC, CBS, and local NBC as many as we can, the more the merrier. But the question is how do we let them know like if we email or call them how do we find the email number?

Journeyman

dont mean to thread crap but youre probably right, Sprint is not doing well. Today's news that Deutsche Telekom is looking into buying Metro PCS was a huge blow to Sprint - many thought Sprint would be targeted by DT. That said, I dont think Sprint is going to go bankrupt anytime soon.

Journeyman

Well after a week of getting no where with 10+ customer reps, a Sprint rep at the corporate store here in Houston exchanged my phone with a new line/number with a brand new out of the box iphone5.  With the new number added and starting over, the phone's 3G works correctly and does not switch to "o" any more. The "could activate celluar data network" error does not show up anymore either.  Everything works now. I'm just glad this whole situation is over, even if it meant a new number, and I got another box full of accessories again since I only exchanged just the phone

I'm not sure if any of you are willing to go as far as I did and get a new number, but this worked for me.

Journeyman

That is great that you got everything fixed! Sadly, I am still without data.

I wanted to ask you if you were using Google Voice in any way with your cell, either through the app on you iPhone, or via the web as a forwarding phone.

Best,

Mike

Journeyman

@mhmx39n The only app that fowards to my phone right now is Skype.  I have a Skype name/phone # that fowards to my cell after 10 secs if I don't pick up from my computer.  Haven't had the need to use Google Voice yet.

Journeyman

@vpham81 Gotcha. I only ask because when I came over from AT&T, I took my number with me. I didn't change anythign at the time in google voice, specifically the section with what number the google voice number forwards to.

I say this because while I am on Sprint, the numbe in Google Voice still showed AT&T. I immediately deleted it and then readded it, and it shows Sprint.

Other than that, I am just in the same boat. I cannot access any 3G data whatsoever, regardless if I am at home, or 45 minutes away at work. I have wiped, activated, deactivated, reset, updated, and everything in between with my iPhone 5. I am exhausted and frustrated. Sprint - PLEASE HELP!

Journeyman

@mhmx39n Yeah exact same thing was happening to me.  Something is wrong with that line on the account.  Sprint/Apple don't know what's going on.  I'll be surprised if they fix it within the month, since it seems like a small percentage of people are being affected by this.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat