Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status of iPhone5 Data Issues

Journeyman

Status of iPhone5 Data Issues

I would very much appreciate a response from a Sprint moderator around the rampant data issues surrounding the iPhone5.  iPhone5 users across the nation are reporting lackluster 3G performance, so much so that downloading an app will fail or take upwards of an hour to download.  Several folks in this forum and others (apple.com, sprintusers.com) have confirmed the following:

• Removal of SIM card improves 3G performance to usable - I compare this to the same performance I get from my EVO LTE on 3G
    • Voice Services are unavailable without the SIM card
  • Reinserting the SIM card restores voice service
    • 3G data service becomes unusable

This leads me to believe there is a misconfiguration on the device surrounding the SIM card, data services and the Sprint network. 

As many of us are counting down the days to our 14 day return policy, we would appreciate a response on the problems (is this acknowledged as a problem?  Has a incident been raised with engineering?) and if they will be resolved in the near term.  Many will return the device if there is no improvement before their 14 days.

Thank you,

L Briggs (a 15 year Sprint customer)

85 REPLIES 85
Journeyman

vpham81 -- are your 3g speeds somewhat consistent? I also ported a number over from AT&T (never used Google Voice) and while my data works, it's extremely sporadic. Particularly, my upload speeds are the biggest problem. I get speedtest upload results of 0.00 Mbps to 0.02 Mbps all the time, while a co-worker with an Evo on Sprint is getting uploads in the range of 0.50 - 0.80Mbps at the exact same time. I am also dropping a lot of calls in areas with very good coverage.

I initiated the return process, and am going to move over to Verizon but will be keeping the phone until I can actually get my hands on an iPhone for Verizon (sold out at my local Apple store). Would prefer to stay with Sprint for the unlimited and the brand new LTE network (seen flashes of it here in Boston) -- but I can't live with this issue any longer, and either can my wife who is having the exact same issue with hers (same acct, also ported from AT&T).

Journeyman

@bscott1280 No, my 3G speeds are indeed just as terrible too, but at least I am able to connect.  The only reason why I switched to Sprint is because of the unlimted plans for my family and not worrying about overages.  LTE here in Houston is about 30% rolled out which is why I am willing to wait.  If I were in another city with no LTE coverage yet, I wouldn't have even thought about switching to Sprint.

Journeyman

even thou your LTE is 30% done when your able to connect to LTE how is it on your phone?

Journeyman

I am speaking to the network team right now.  Of course they found "no error" on the network.

Where do we go from here?  This is extremely egregious on Sprint's end to really breach their end of the contract by not even providing (however slow) any data.

Journeyman

I had 4 tickets and they where opened for the 100% same reason and closed for the 100% same reason yours was, and that is why I plan on taking it to court with a lawyer and all, and if any of you wan't to do a class action lawsuit I'm all for it

Journeyman

If you still have time left you should really consider your options. On another post someone found a survey showing Sprint to be very inadequate in terms of LTE coverage.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/483379#483379

Journeyman

Has anyone seen anyone from Sprint respond here at all?

Journeyman

I'm actually married to an attorney so it'd be free attorney's fee to fight this one out.  However, we also did sign a binding arbitration and non-jury trial agreement when we renewed our contracts.  It appears courts are split whether or not those binding arbitration is enforceable; but it appears alot of juridications...they are unfournately enforceable.  That being said, if you are willing to do a class action and get a class approved, please PM me to add me as a part of the class.

Disclaimar: I am not an attorney so I cannot give any legal advice.  This is not a legal advice.

Journeyman

once and he said for each of us to make are own post not to reply to someone elses and they locked it up as well. But I can't find that post anymore

Journeyman

will do, I want to help as much sprint users as I can out, this is not right for me, you and every one else

Journeyman

Just called Sprint to follow up on my ticket/technical issue, and I suggested we reactivate my iphone 4s, as I have never, ever had any problems with it. If it is activated, and can receive data, then we know straight up that the iPhone 5 is to blame. If it is activated, and does not receive data, then we know straight up that the network is to blame.

Results: iPhone 4S - NO DATA

UNBELIEVABLE!

When I return home and connect to a completely different tower, and still have the same issues, I am cancelling my service, and starting a contract with Verizon. I am essentially being forced to leave!

Journeyman

I have two iPhone 5's in Sacramento/Foothills area with poor performance on 3g/cell network in regards to applications and data. Sprint acknowledged to me this is a known issue that Sprint and Apple are working on but did not share specifics. I will hear back in 5 business days once they address my escalation.

The performance of the new iPhone 5's are far worse than our previous phones HTC Hero. Stay tuned.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat