cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status of iPhone5 Data Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Status of iPhone5 Data Issues

I'm having exactly the same issue. I'm past my 14 days and so far the answer from Sprint is that it's my problem.

Ever since I got the phone (on release day) I've had 3G problems. I had one day where my connection was useable (barely) but since then I've had no data signal at all. I have now spent a total of ten hours on the phone with Sprint reps, technicians, and their network team, been into the Apple store to replace the device, and even talked to account management. Still no resolution whatsoever.

Here's my speed test:

> 3000ms ping,  0.01 down,  0.00 up

It has been confirmed by three different technicians from their Oklahoma network team ticket office as a capacity problem on the Sprint towers. The towers are way over capacity and due for upgrades but those upgrades aren't expected to complete until the end of next year. Meanwhile I have no data and have had no data for a whole month.

I talked with account management about my options. Their answer was "well, the phone still does voice and wifi so technically it's still working". I offered to split the contract termination fee ($175 each), which would still see me eating the initial cost of the phone ($300). I realize Sprint are still losing money over the initial price of the phone, but I'm trying to be reasonable to meet them in the middle on something that is completely their issue. The answer was that they wouldn't budge even a single dollar. Unbelievable! They can't provide the service they sold me and then want me to pay an additional $350 to walk away on top of the $300 I'll already be out of pocket with the phone.

I continue to attempt to find a technical resolution but so far to no avail. There is no 4G LTE in the Portland area and I have no 4G radio in the phone so 3G is my only option, and it won't work until the end of next year (if then!) I'm out of options.

I have opened a ticket with the Better Business Bureau in Kansas to see if they can help find a resolution to this issue. My claim request to them is a waiver of the contract termination fee due to Sprint's failure to provide the service they sold to me. Ultimately they have lost my business as a customer and shown me a terrible customer service experience. I don't want others to suffer similarly and would highly advise them to avoid Sprint at all costs.

Hoping for any resolution at this point, but fearful that I will simply be further out of pocket and still with no data.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My first I Phone 5 with Sprint was purchased at Best Buy and had several connectivity problems and the music player did not work properly and had terrible echo.  Apple and Sprint attempted to correct the problem and Apple finally took the first one back after 7 hours of my time over a week.  The second I Phone 5 does not have the music player problems but the 3g is spotty at best and works less that 50 percent of the time.  Sprint does not know what to do and we have been going in circles and I have finally had enough.  I have had the phone since October 1st and Sprint refuses to let me out of my contract.  They blame Apple and say Apple has released a statement admitting responsibility and that they are working on a fix.  Humm!!!!!

Highlighted

Sent this to Dan at Sprint.

Dan,

I waited 9 hours in line for the iPhone 5, I switched from (a 4 year customer) Verizon hoping I could keep my unlimited data by giving you guys a shot. Boy was I wrong. (And I wish I wasn't, I wanted to keep using Sprint) I canceled my contract within 30 days of use.

Our first problem: Our brand new iPhone 5's were scratched brand new out of the box, Apple had no problem sending us over-night replacements but there was a larger problem. Our local sprint store had no idea how to activate them because they did not include SIM cards. A day or so later we informed that they had been sent SIM cards and we could now activate our phones.

We thought the problem was solved, it was not. upon activating the phones we could no longer retrieve 2G/3G Data, only LTE data in our area. There was no answer for this. So now I had 4 iPhones (one for myself, one for my wife, and now our non-working replacements). After 6 hours of trying to trouble shoot the problem the assistant store manager told us to come back the next day to now swap out for ANOTHER set of brand new phones...we now would have 6 iPhone 5's. After exchanging our original phones -- and sending the replacements back to Apple we now had 2 phones that we thought would work.

Our Second and final problem: After a week or so we started noticing a larger more frustrating problem. We could no longer make phone nor retrieve data from our phones. After multiple attempts to work with your level 1 and level 2 CSR team we had zero resolutions because they could no longer contact us (as I could not receive phone calls.) I was plagued by the error message of "Your account could not be validated", "Error 16 Switch 394", and in most cases the phone "canceling" the call before it even started the timer. To make matters worse, I could only get .01 KBPS on a regular basis. After numerous network resets, full restores, and PRL updates there was still no resolution to our problem. These errors would happen on a regular basis 4-5 times a day. Sprint customer support had no answer of to why this was happening or how to fix it. I run a small web design business and this is how I interact with my customers, which is unacceptable.

This was the straw the broke the camels back. I was out on business in Chicago all last week (and having the same issues as above), I would have to use Facetime over Wi-FI in order to call my Wife here in atlanta. On my way back my flight was delayed by an hour, and I was unable to inform my wife of the issue or where/when to meet her. I was stranded at the airport for 2 hours trying to find my wife.

I spoke to the team leader at the store in our local area (Kennesaw, GA) and was given the "I'm sorry, but you're past the 14 day return policy". They had me call the retention department to see what they could do to help. All they could offer is to refund my activation fees and Apple Care. Not my service plan that I paid for (for the month), nor my phones. They wanted me to surrender my phones (not return for my $625) in order to waive in ETF fee so I could sign up for another carrier to run my business properly. So now I'm stuck with $750 worth of ETF fees, and 2 phones (worth $625) that I can't use. Plus $443 worth the first bill I paid. So now I'm effectively screwed out of $1,818. What am I supposed to do?

Highlighted
Journeyman

when i got the iphone 5 about 2.5 weeks ago, the 3G was spotty (my previous HTC EVO 4G was better) but usable around New York City.

However, these past couple of days the 3G defualts to 1xrtt o and gets stuck there...I went through all the steps discuss here in the forum, turning off LTE, no roaming, ##UPDATE#, reset network, restore using itunes,  including fix of ERASING ALL CONTENT AND SETTING, waiting 30 mins, and then reactivating. Must have went through this more than 10 times these past 2 days...

I also reached out and got in touch with 2 Senior Advisors at Apple who confirmed that my activation profile is loaded and is USSPRINTN42LOCK.

Their engineers are saying my phone is good on their activation server that Sprint needs to follow up with this...

In addition, I just got on the phone with a Sprint Tech and went through the entire 30 min reset and still only 2G service with no 3G...I was left with no resolution...

As you can see my family and I have been with Sprint since 2001 and I just want 3G to work, forget that LTE still doesn't exist...

HELP???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I had a HERO as well before iphone 5 and the new iphone5 is just worthless here in San Diego.  I'm constantly resetting, probably 5x a day.  Unacceptable. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same issues here in Detroit.  My two iPhone5's have become glorified ipod touch's.  3G connection works approximately 10% of the time.  After spending about 10 hours with Sprint, swapping for new phones at Apple, same problem persists.  These phones should not be sold on the Sprint network.  Sprint's solution is to give me back $75, after I wasted almost $2000 on phones that don't work.  I have resisted going over to Verizon for over 9 years, but this is the last straw. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I concur, only had my iphone 5 for 2 weeks and data service sucks.  Its slower than my old blackberry and keeps locking up, I have to reset the stupid phone at least a dozen times a day.  Along with this my emails disappear, I've sent numerous messages and the disappear form my files. 

In addition to all this, I bought this phone during a free activation promotion and they still dinged me for it.  I talked to two customer reps and all fell on deaf ears.  Its not the lousy $35 bucks, it the principal and lack of care to a long time customer.  I will switch when my contract is up.

Highlighted
Wizard

smilmakr1 wrote:

Same issues here in Detroit.  My two iPhone5's have become glorified ipod touch's.  3G connection works approximately 10% of the time.  After spending about 10 hours with Sprint, swapping for new phones at Apple, same problem persists.  These phones should not be sold on the Sprint network.  Sprint's solution is to give me back $75, after I wasted almost $2000 on phones that don't work.  I have resisted going over to Verizon for over 9 years, but this is the last straw.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been experiencing so many issues.  I know you've been very busy talking to Spring and to Apple regarding your issue, but I would like the opportunity to save you as a customer if at all possible.  To begin, it would be helpful to know what troubleshooting steps have been performed thus far.  In addition to this, knowing your city, state and nearest cross streets would also be helpful information.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Highlighted
Wizard

WARRENKWAN wrote:

I concur, only had my iphone 5 for 2 weeks and data service sucks.  Its slower than my old blackberry and keeps locking up, I have to reset the stupid phone at least a dozen times a day.  Along with this my emails disappear, I've sent numerous messages and the disappear form my files. 

In addition to all this, I bought this phone during a free activation promotion and they still dinged me for it.  I talked to two customer reps and all fell on deaf ears.  Its not the lousy $35 bucks, it the principal and lack of care to a long time customer.  I will switch when my contract is up.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing both data and account issues.  I'll be glad to assist you any way that I can.  There are a few known issues regarding the iPhone 5 and data.  There are some fixes that have been released for them.  The most recent involves a software update to 6.0.1.  In addition to this, there are some reset instructions that are meant to resolve your data issues.

1. Select Settings>General>Reset>Erase all Content and Settings
  1. Once the phone reboots before you walk through activation, power the phone off for 30 minutes
  1. After 30 minutes, power the device up and walk through standard activation process
  2. If given the voice between carriers, be sure to select Sprint as your option

If these steps have already been followed exactly as written and you still are experiencing issues, you will need to contact Apple to ensure your activation policy is correct on their end.  The phone number to Apple support is 800-694-7466.  Please keep me updated with the results.  I know this is able to resolve most of my customer’s issues with their devices.  If none of this is able to resolve your issue, I'll need your city state and nearest cross street to determine the next course of action we need to take to resolve your issue.

In reference to your account issues, I would love to resolve that issue as well.  In order to do so I'll need you to send be a private message with some information about your account.

To send a private message:

1.  Click on my name (Below my picture)

2.  Select Send a private message (Under Actions on the far right)

Information needed:

1.  Your first and last name

2.  Your number

3.  Your security pin or the answer to the security question on the account

I look forward to hearing from you so I can attempt to resolve your issue ASAP.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm also having problem with my iphone. It won't allow me to place calls, receive calls, send or receive messages. My children are in the us mainland and I desperately need my phone to work so I can talk to them.. Ive called apple and they told me that it's a network issue .. So I went to a sprint store and told me to call apple because its a software issue... Please help me.

Highlighted
Wizard

I was unable to make and receive calls and I was receiving voice message hours after they had been left.  I read a post that said to reset the network settings.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

Once I did this, I was back to receiving my calls and voice messages as normal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's hopeless... I've done all that with a sprint tech support and wiped out everything on my phone- im left with a unactivated cellphone because there's no network available . I have to go to a sprint store now to complete the activation process.. It's frustrating.  The tech support I spoke to last night closed my ticket without the issue being resolved.. Shame, so I had to call them again today .. Finally spoke to a supervisor and told me that they're not having any network issues in the area, hopefully, apple will buy that.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat