Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from iPhone 5 to Galaxy S3 due to 3G data service problem

Journeyman

Switching from iPhone 5 to Galaxy S3 due to 3G data service problem

It seems like the 3G data service problem on the iPhone 5 is a common problem and exchanging the phones at Apple stores will not fix it, and even worse is that Sprint customer service does not know anything and cannot do anything to fix the problem.

I do not want to switch to another carrier as I have a cheap plan on my phone. I am, however, seriously considering exchanging the iPhone to the S3. Has anyone switched from iPhone 5 to Galaxy S3 yet and what do you think of it?

I am one week into the contract and have 7 days left on the return/exchange policy. I really want to give Sprint another chance for them to fix the 3g data problem (hopefully LTE service will fix it), but if they do not, I am screwed for the next two years.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

If you're in your 14 days, you're not screwed. When I was with Sprint, we were promised 4G. Barely happened. One place in our town has it and we're just north of Kansas City. Then they say 4G is obsolete. Evo 4G customers were pissed for paying the $10 "4G data fee" and never really getting it. Well then once more phones came out, that "4G data fee" became the "premium data fee" and 4G customers felt ripped off. 4G LTE is already the same beast. They turned it on in August. It was fantastic. 26mbps downloads. Come a week later, they flip the towers off. Said something about it wasn't ready. 4G LTE when I had the S3 was spotty at best and when you go back to that 3G, not only does it blast through that battery, it sometimes gave my S3 glitches. Just like the iPhone 5 is doing to me in an out of service then saying the "o" and I can't load a page or send a text. Get out while you can. Seriously. Sprint isn't worth it and they will soon be bankrupt from buying the iPhone anyways.

Journeyman

These are really bad news for me... i am planning on returning my IPhone 5 today to get the Galaxy S3; the 3G signal in the Sprint network with Sprint is ridiculuous. However, I was hoping the GS3 to work at least faster.

I really like the unlimited data plan in Sprint; yet the new 2GB data cap for Hot Spot, the low LTE coverage, and poor 3G service makes you wonder if the unlimited data is even worth it.

Surprinsingly enough no one in the media discuss how frustrated are people that went from androids to IPhone 5 on the Sprint network.

Just warning - be careful about any Samsung including S3. Samsung is notorious for poor signals as well as support of issues. I have the Epic 4GT (and I don't believe they have improved the radio/antenna in the S3). If you do not want the iPhone (which I am seriously considering when it is available at Best Buy), I would look at the HTC 4gLTE (my other option). I know they have released at least 2 updates to known issues since it's release this summer and I believe do a better job of support of their phones.

Journeyman

This might be too late, but DO NOT SWITCH TO THE S3 with Sprint !!  Coverage is absolutely horrible and I live in Seattle - one of the best coverage cities in the US for most cell companies.  I also have a cheap plan with Sprint but I think I'm going to find some friends who have Verizon and get on a family plan.

Journeyman

Thanks for the heads up jordanbeherndt. I've already returned my iPhone 5 and ordered an S3. It should be here this week. Hopefully there will be 3G data with the S3 or else I will have no choice but to leave Sprint for AT&T or Verizon.

-Loyal Sprint Customer since 2007

Journeyman

My coworker has an S3 with Sprint and his speed test is actually worst compared to the iPhone 5 in my area (San Francisco)

Journeyman

Switching to the S3 is not going to improve your speeds, it is the network. Sprints 3G is Slow.... More like 1X. My husband and son have new S3's, and sadly my iphone 5 is faster, they borrow my Iphone 5.... Slow as it is, it's faster than their S3s. I would've left Sprint before I'd try a different phone, they have signal problems as well. Sprint has gone way down hill in the last year.

Journeyman

Approaching week 3 on my GS3 and everything has been just peachy with it. No 3G issues, MUCH more stable LTE connectivity with it over the iPhone 5. Despite all the complaints with RF strength it is neck and neck with the iPhone 5. The other line still has an iPhone 5 and I've compared the two side by side just about everywhere I've been. They both perform just fine in perfect signal as well as low signal area's. If anything the S3 has a slight edge because it's roaming threshold is a bit lower then the iPhone 5. And I'm not sure if this is anything new or has always been this way but if you make a call on the S3 while roaming and then go back into Sprint coverage it will not switch back to the Sprint network until you hang up from your call. I vaguely remember someone saying sometime back they'd drop calls all the time going from non Sprint to Sprint coverage and the phone would switch networks during the call.

And as far as the rest of the phone goes that's doing just fine too. I think the hardest thing to get used to is the bigger size, larger keyboard. Battery life is right in line with the iPhone 4 and 4S.

Journeyman

Had my Galaxy S3 for two weeks now. I live in Silicon Valley so I believe they are setting up for LTE soon, so sometimes the network switches between 3G to LTE and I will lose my connection for about a second, depending on my location. But the data will connects right back almost instantly. Other than that, the S3 is just awesome. 3G data is smooth just like my old evo 4G. It is very stable almost everywhere I go, except a few places that have poor connectivity. I love everything about the iPhone 5 except the Sprint network on it.

I noticed that most of your data are fixed by resetting it. Hope rest of you who have the data issues will find a fix soon!

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat