cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to pre-order an iPhone5?

Highlighted
Journeyman

What is the best way to pre-order an iPhone5?

I have been waiting since February to upgrade my phone, and next week is what I am waiting for...the iPhone5.

Does anyone have advice on the best way to pre-order?  Should I do this on line, via the 800 phone number, or in a store?  The Apple store, Sprint store, etc?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: What is the best way to pre-order an iPhone5?

Apple will more than likely offer a preorder option online after the keynote speech on the 12th.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know preordering online will be the best option but i dont know who will be better to go through. Possibly Sprint.com if they offer that no activation fee when ordering through their site. I guess I will find out at midnight Thursday night/Friday morning.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint and Apple's websites were both crashing repeatedly this morning, I've read that people who pre-ordered through the App Store App on their phones had no problems. I was able to do it through the Sprint website after trying for an hour and a half early this morning.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I ordered early this morning, they're billing the activation fee to the first month's bill. Shipping was free, taxes were charged.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When did Sprint start charging an activation fee when you order your phone and activate it online?  I have ordered many phones from them over 20 years and never paid an activation fee except when I bought my last phone at the Sprint store.

Is this something new they started when they got the iphone because they knew people will pay it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes they just started again, before the iPhone 5 they were waiving Activation fees, guess they didn't want to miss out on extra money from new activations for the iPhone 5.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks,, that is what I thought.  Every company that gets the iphone starts acting like a'holes.  They will start doing away with unlimited data before long then there won't be any difference between any of them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't worry, that is one of the major reasons why people are staying with Sprint despite the bad service and slow data speeds. They would be commiting suicide if they did away with it. As per the pre-order, I originally ordered it though Apple.com but I was horrified when I saw the delivery date was October 5th (I ordered around 7 a.m.) I headed over to Sprint.com and was glad to see the delivery date was still the 21st. I went ahead and cancelled the Apple pre-order and reordered on Sprint.com.

Highlighted
Master

New delivery expectations: Order from Sprint.com

• The new delivery expectations by iPhone 5 model are: 
    • iPhone 5 16G Black/Silver and White/Slate models 
      • Pre-orders placed from 9/14 at 2:01 a.m. CT through 9/14 at 2:00 p.m. CT will deliver on or around 9/21.
      • Pre-orders placed after 9/14 at 2:00 p.m. CT will ship in up to 2 weeks.
    • iPhone 5 32G and 64G models (both colors) 
      • Pre-orders placed from 9/14 at 2:01 a.m. CT through 9/18 will deliver on or around 9/21.
      • Orders placed after 9/18 are still expected to deliver within normal service levels of 2 to 5 business days.

Hope this helps

Abe

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are right. I have bought many phones from Sprint & never had to pay the activation fee. Today when i pre-ordered my iphone 5, i was charge the $36.00 activation fee. They said the reason is  "that you  have a choice to activate your own # or  can give it to someone else as a gift" ...new great excuse ahhg, i wonder what they will be the next excuse!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat