cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage not working, not converting to SMS

Highlighted
Journeyman

iMessage not working, not converting to SMS

For the past several days, my iMessage hasn't been working properly. It won't send, then will try to convert to send as an sms, but takes FOREVER and then fails.

Yes, iMessage is turned on. As is send as SMS when not available.

Yes, I have service. 3G, not the LTE, but its still enough to send/receive calls. I've also tried it while connected to wifi and had the same issues.

Safari still works, as do other internet applications. And every once in a while the message will go, but not reliably. Very frustrating. Any ideas?

27 REPLIES 27
Journeyman

Re: iMessage not working, not converting to SMS

Oh, and I've also tried closing all aps down and restarting the phone a few times as well. No change

Wizard

iMessage will work over a WiFi network.  Try sending an iMessage to another iDevice user over a WiFi network with 3G (data) OFF.

Data (3G) isn't required for voice.  You've probably just got a slow or bad 3G connection.

Repeatedly resetting or shutting down and restarting an Apple device usually does nothing (that's rarely the problem).

Wizard

Schmalz,

I apologize for the late response. Are you still receiving this impact to service? Texting is a quick and convenient way to communicate when on the go; I could see why this would me cumbersome. I would like to rule out any networks outages, what is your zip code and major cross streets? Here are a few more questions I have;

Are you connected to an Airave?

What error messages do you receive?

How long has this been happening?

Where and when does it happen most often?

Thanks, please let me know.

*Jessica

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

II'M having the same problem, I've tried to send messages over both wifi and 3G and since noon on June 17th everything has gone through as a text message instead of iMessage. 

Wizard

DHOUSE1374,

Make sure that iMessage is turned on and settings are correct. Go to Settings>Messages> Send & Receive, your Apple ID should be listed.

What errors are you receiving?

Are you sending to Sprint users only?

May I a\have cross street and zip code? for a closer look.

*Jessica

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Received word today that our phone in Pensacola is not sending and receiving SMS/iMessage from Apple to Apple devices.  It was until yesterday, but not currently.  32508 is zip. 

Wizard

DHOUSE1374,

Thank you for reaching out to us on Sprint Community, if you need additional assistance let us know.  If we do not hear back in 48hrs we will consider the case resolved.

*Jessica

Sprint Social Care

Wizard

Schmalz,

Thank you for reaching out to us on Sprint Community, if you need additional assistance let us know.  If we do not hear back in 48hrs we will consider the case resolved.

*Jessica

Sprint Social Care

Wizard

JMBOLEY76,

Zip code 32508 does not have any reported outages, however I will pin point so that can be looked into. Is everything going through properly now or did you still need assistance? Here to help.

*Jessica

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Still an issue.  Thanks

Journeyman

I have the same problem. Extremely annoying as I have to hold and "send as text" to every single text I send all day. All settings are as they should be, and everything worked fine with my iphone 4 before I upgraded to 5.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat