cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 3G issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 5 3G issues

To anybody considering an iPhone 5 on Sprint - beware. There are major issues with connectivity to the 3G network. It's basically unusable for many. Just check other threads in this forum. I'm not sure if it's a software problem or a network problem or possibly something else, but it ruins an otherwise great piece of technology. If you live in an area with LTE you may have better luck, though I am not one of the lucky few who do so I do not know.

I documented my trouble with this short video, a speedtest.net competition between iPhones on 3 networks belonging to two friends and I. Please check it out and share the link if you're having this problem as well.

To any Sprint representative on these forums - 1) When and how is Sprint planning to address this? The iPhone is a flagship device for crying out loud. 2) How can we seek compensation for this trouble? I've been paying a "premium data charge" that hasn't lived up to it's name for 2-1/2 months now. I feel this is getting a bit ridiculous.

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted

Re: iPhone 5 3G issues

PleaseKokua - First this is not to disregard the issues that you are having. I purchased my iPhone 5 nearly 2 weeks ago. I do not know why I have not had the major issues that others have had but I have not. Now, I am not saying the 3G speed is wonderful but it is tolerable and not less than what I was getting on my Epic 4GT (which after 14 months I got "rid of" and at this time will never go back to Samsung).

I do not have LTE yet in our area. I did find out to turn off LTE in the settings as I was having problems with "failed" messages although they actually didn't fail. And, one night phone calls kept dropping (only my phone not the other Sprint phones in our home). It turned out there was a tower issue and iPhone 5 does not necessarily reprovision easily (it seems the iPhone 4 does find when there are problems with a tower and can compensate - not sure if that is a correct term). A Sprint technician (not customer service) walked me through the ##873283# steps and my phone worked (luckily I had my husband's phone to use as we do not have a landline anymore).

Good luck, not sure if those who originally got the iPhone 5 had bad software, incorrect provisioning, etc - I hope yours in corrected.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had issues from day 1 (got my iPhone 5 on launch day), but WiFi covered it. Overall I'm happy with my iPhone. I had it replaced, but that was a hardware issue. I've followed the various steps here (including switching off LTE) and this has worked for me. I live in Phoenix so no LTE yet.

I might suggest contacting Sprint for an Airave. I contacted Executive Services (dan@sprint.com) and they sent me one as compensation for the fact that my iPhone got less signal at home than my 2.5 year old HTC Touch Pro. I'm paying for premium data which is $10/mth, but I'm now NOT paying for TEP which is $8/mth so I'm OK with that. For 3G speeds I'm doing ok.

Personally, I think if you are going to get an iPhone, get it from Apple instead of Sprint. Getting Sprint involved just starts an Apple vs Sprint vicious circle if you need anything done hardware wise to the phone. I bought mine online from Apple and it's to Apple I went to have the phone replaced. Sprint does not even offer warranty or insurance coverage and they are just my carrier in this particular situation. I'm not having to deal with Sprint in any way except for technical issues, all of which have since been resolved.

Highlighted
Wizard

PleaseKokua,

Thank you for using Sprint Community to voice your questions and concerns.  I'll be glad to assist you with your iPhone 5 data issues.  There was a known issue with the iPhone 5 and data that is still active in some markets.  Can you tell me your city and state so I can review if you are affected by this?

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, thank you. I am in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Fergie,

I am in Detroit Michigan and am having the exact issue.  My new Sprint iPhone 5 keeps losing the 3G signal and goes to the little circle (which I think is 2G).

Is there an issue in Detroit and when will it be resolved? I can barely do anything when not on Wifi.

I tried listening to online music through Spotify and it keeps freezing/pausing.

I tried watching a movie on HBO Go and a message came up saying I need a better signal to watch a movie.

I have attended sporting events at UofM stadium and Comerica Park (Detroit Tigers) and am not able to make a call or text which is ridiculous.

Those are just a few issues I am seeing.

Thanks

Michael

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had HTC EVO 4G and I did not notice any slowness in 3G network, typically I would get about 1MBps.  After upgraded to iPhone5, I notice the speed degrade a lot to 0.1Mbps.  I don't know whether the network get degrade or the iphone integration with Sprint suck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in the Metro Detroit Michigan area and have the same issues as MikegoBlue. I live in Canton and my 3G drops to a circle (2G) constantly. Also, after hanging up on a phone call, a lot of the time I have to restart my iPhone for any internet to work. I never had this issue on my 4S.... please fix this asap as it is terrible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Its terrible.  I switched from AT&T to get the iPhone 5 and moved to my wife's family plan to save $$ as she has been with Sprint for over 10 years.  My phone is unusable unless I am on WIFI.  Just today I got several "App cannot be downloaded" while showing 5 bars of 3G service.  A couple weeks ago it took almost an hour (and 25% of my battery) to download a 26MP app.  Really?  It regularly takes 10-20 minutes to send a picture message. 

I also get the "we are working on it" while collecting $190+ a month from my wife and I for "3G service" since LTE isn't live in Columbus, OH yet.  It is in BFE Indiana but not in Columbus or Cleveland.  THIS is not what we pay for, and I don't want to shell out around $900 to take our business to Verizon.  So I'm contemplating getting an LTE mobile hotspot from either Verizon or AT&T until either Sprint gets its act together, or our ETFs are small enough to ditch them.

For any Sprint reps out there, this is nothing personal, but I don't understand how your company can advertise 3G service in most places when it is slower than dialup, and most of the time fails. How do you sell the iPhone 5 if your network cannot support it?  Yeah, you have unlimited data, but we NEED it because it takes 20 minutes for a web page to load.  I honestly think a class action suit would be in order here, as you are selling something and not delivering on it, and its not a problem that's relegated to certain areas, its everywhere.  Things need to improve, or we will take our 4 phones elsewhere next year. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Its terrible.  I switched from AT&T to get the iPhone 5 and moved to my wife's family plan to save $$ as she has been with Sprint for over 10 years.  My phone is unusable unless I am on WIFI.  Just today I got several "App cannot be downloaded" while showing 5 bars of 3G service.  A couple weeks ago it took almost an hour (and 25% of my battery) to download a 26MP app.  Really?  It regularly takes 10-20 minutes to send a picture message. 

I also get the "we are working on it" while collecting $190+ a month from my wife and I for "3G service" since LTE isn't live in Columbus, OH yet.  It is in BFE Indiana but not in Columbus or Cleveland.  THIS is not what we pay for, and I don't want to shell out around $900 to take our business to Verizon.  So I'm contemplating getting an LTE mobile hotspot from either Verizon or AT&T until either Sprint gets its act together, or our ETFs are small enough to ditch them.

For any Sprint reps out there, this is nothing personal, but I don't understand how your company can advertise 3G service in most places when it is slower than dialup, and most of the time fails. How do you sell the iPhone 5 if your network cannot support it?  Yeah, you have unlimited data, but we NEED it because it takes 20 minutes for a web page to load.  I honestly think a class action suit would be in order here, as you are selling something and not delivering on it, and its not a problem that's relegated to certain areas, its everywhere.  Things need to improve, or we will take our 4 phones elsewhere next year. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Apologies for the multiple posts, my browser kept telling me there was an error.

Highlighted
Wizard

At least we know your browser works  😛

I am fortunate that my coverage is mostly stable while in the town where I work.  I pretty much consistently get an LTE signal when I am outside or in a vehicle.  Speeds are not spectacular, but sufficient for mobile data use.  Lately it's been running between 4-5Mbps download speeds.

At home, a town only about 20 miles west of where a work, there is no LTE service.  3G is spotty at best.  When I get a good connection, it's right around 1Mbps download speed.  Often it is less than .5Mbps though.  And even more often, I get the O symbol and have no data connection at all.  This mainly affects me on weekends when I am running errands and such.  At home I have wi-fi and an AirRave, so signal isn't an issue.

It's just depressing when I'm with friends who have Verizon and have LTE nearly everywhere we go.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat