cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 data not working.

Highlighted

Re: iPhone 5 data not working.

DmC: I can cautiously say that they have (for our phones) resolved the national issue with data.  However, the tower nearest us is over-capacity and will be upgraded by the 3rd, while 6 others will be receiving data updates by early January.  Essentially, for us, the problem seems to be "too many devices on each tower", and so they sometimes work horribly and sometimes just fine, but tend to all do great in lull times (like midnight).

I'm giving them one last chance with the tower upgrade here.  If they can show improvement on this known issue, then I may believe they can also do so on the other towers we have issues.

I have been working with Sprint's network support team and they are updating me on individual tower issues. As well, they said that the wipe and restore may not improve things if the issue is a tower's capacity.  However, they did say that the force restart (hold down home and power buttons until phone shuts off) can resolve issues akin to taking the battery out of an Android phone.  My results here are usually 0.2-0.4 down, 0.02 down, with a 300-700 ms ping, but out of this tower's range, ping is usually around 100ms and speeds are sometimes over 1Mbps down (0.5Mbps up).

Edit: Added information about the network support team.

Highlighted
Journeyman

are you refering to the Airplane toggle data issue or general SAD data issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have restored my phone, wiped it and set it up as a new to no avail. i contacted a sprint rep who refreshed my network and asked me to hold the sleep button and the home button at the same time until the apple logo came on. seemed to refresh the phone. this has helped a little, but still not the best data speed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any idea if tower overloading has anything directly to do with my phone being back to stuck on 1x data most of the day? Is that a fail back if there are no available 3g slots on the tower (sorry for the ignorant wording but I admittedly have no idea how cell phone technology functions, or in this case doesn't function).

I have seen the exact same issue in Baltimore and DC the last few months so if the towers are overloaded it appears to be a rather wide spread issue on the east coast. What has confused me the most is that all of these issues started as soon as I switched to the iPhone (which certainly could just be a coincidence). I am tempted to switch back to my old phone and test again but I hate to waste more of my own time messing with this when both my Verizon Blackberry and t-mobile hotspot devices work without issue and there are numerous people complaining of the same issues with Sprint. I anticipate a class-action law suit coming out of all this at some point in the near future.

Over the next three weeks I will be going from Philadelphia>Baltimore/DC>VA>Philadelphia>Orlando>Philadelphia>NC>VA>Philadelphia>Baltimore/DC>VA so I will make a conscious effort to test the data throughout my travels.

Highlighted
Wizard

Capacity issues will cause problems with blocked/dropped calls as well as slower data connection.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, but does that mean capactiy issues on the tower could be the direct cause of my phone being stuck on 1x data (little "o" on the iPhone vs "3G")?

Highlighted
Wizard

Could be possible, yes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ky158151,

did you get a chance to read my post from a few days ago?

Highlighted
Wizard

I just went back and looked at it. I am not showing any tower maintenance currently ongoing, you have had 4 tower upgrades in the past 90 days and 3 scheduled for the upgrade within in next 90 days.

Highlighted
Journeyman

what should i do?  call this in as an issue?

i've already done the appropriate resets which resolved my o to 3G issue back in California.  My data works well in california...not as good as all other carriers but for sprint it works.

in denver data is worthless.

Highlighted
Wizard

Please send me a private message with your phone number, pin, email address, physical address of problem location and results speed test results and I will get a ticket created for your particular problem.

Journeyman

Here are my Speedtest results from today 11/29/2012:

Baltimore, MD - at first I was in extended 3g(roaming) until I turned Airplane mode on/off then I picked up a Sprint 3g signal.

Ping: 758ms

Down: .14Mbps

Up:   .23Mbps

Washington, D.C. - no roaming issue here

Ping: 363ms

Down: .63Mbps

Up:    .61Mbps

What I am gauging from the above is that while the speeds are still pathetic they are remarkably better then what we are getting in inner city Philadelphia. One thing I have noticed is that in Philadelphia all roaming is at 1x data (why no 3g data when roaming in PHL? My Evo 4g had no issue with this).

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat