cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 data not working.

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 5 data not working.

Was first in line to get the new iPhone yesterday.  Ever since I left the store, I have not been able to get data on my phone.  3g doesn't show up at all.  Was on the phone with tech support more than once, and they said that i had a defective phone.  I went and had the phone replaced, and am having the same issue.  tried all of the resets suggested, went to update my network settings, etc.  Obviously there is an issue with the Sprint-iPhone 5 connection (the 4S i was using is now my wifes, and it shows a full 3G signal, and works awesome!)

Not sure what the next step is. 

544 REPLIES 544
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have always had problems with trying to use data over Sprint 3g in my area. (Winston-Salem, NC)
Even when I had an android phone I could not get any kind of data over 3g. It is now even worse with my iPhone 5. Siri will not work unless I am on a WiFi network.
I have lots of friends that have no problem surfing the web, using Siri, etc with their iPhones but they are on AT&T and Verizon. Why can't I seem to use 3g data service in Winston-Salem??

Very frustrated. ALSO drop calls at my house A LOT, and I live in the city limits.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand your frustration! I had perfect internet on my iPhone 4S, but not with my 5, I am in the same boat, Siri won't work either without wifi connection, I can't use the GPS, I can't do anything... And no one seems to care or help me out with the problem...

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok. My brother bought the iphone 5. a month he was using wifi so he thoght his phone was fine untill i got a hold of it and was seeing that the data service was not working. which pissed me off cause he pays for data. well to make a long story short i call the stupid sprint people and nothing no data service fix. did all kinds of resets. finnaly they told me to take it to a sprint store. I dont have time for that. They could not figure it out. So heres my fix. I got on his sprint account and saw that the data service was blocked. why i don't know why. He never authorized it to be block. well i just unblocked it and well the fucker works now and fast too. LTE logo on top and everything. Go to the restrictions section and check if its block and well just unblock it. This worked for me. now my dumb brother can use his data service he pays for.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok. My brother bought the iphone 5. a month he was using wifi so he thoght his phone was fine untill i got a hold of it and was seeing that the data service was not working. which pissed me off cause he pays for data. well to make a long story short i call the stupid sprint people and nothing no data service fix. did all kinds of resets. finnaly they told me to take it to a sprint store. I dont have time for that. They could not figure it out. So heres my fix. I got on his sprint account and saw that the data service was blocked. why i don't know why. He never authorized it to be block. well i just unblocked it and well the phone works now and fast too. LTE logo on top and everything. Go to the restrictions section and check if its block and well just unblock it. This worked for me. now my dumb brother can use his data service he pays for.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am so glad I am seeing all this!i wish i had seen this sooner to have archived several screen shots  i didnt know this was happening to eveyone like beyond similar. I am in las Vegas, NV and the data is really bipolar and slow! I thought my service was down on Friday due to data not working with full bars, i power cycled and called sprint and my account was current, the rep told me the 2 nearby towers were perfectly fine and had me "troubleshoot" (for a second time) so we reset my network settings, power cycled etc.. She told me she would call within a few hours to check on my results but I had gotten to wrk by that time. Anyways after i get off the phone with rep, my data still doesnt work FOR HOURS! I always get the safari error page when I have full bars and who knows when we're getting LTE here jn Vegas ugh SCREEN SHOOTING EVERYTHING NOW    i don't get dropped calls hardly but it's the not being able to open the app store, mobile safari constantly going to that 'could not open/server not responding' crap and picture messages not being able to send until after multiple attempts IF i'm lucky enough to be successful at the time

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey, I'm having the same problems like every one else plus even more problems, but Sprint corporate office keeps telling me that it's "geography problems" for what is happing to every one and how I get no service in every arena, every mall and the courthouse(where I go every day, as I'm a lawyer). But get this if it was really "geography problems" then every carrier should be having the same "geography problems", but I just switched over to Verizon and got the iPhone 5 with them and at my house with the iPhone 5 on Sprint I got 1-2 bars that keep faling or droping the calls, going in and out and are very choppy. But with the same phone the iPhone 5 on Verizon in the same location I get full bars with none of thous problems. Also, every where that the Sprint iPhone 5 got no service at all the Verizon iPhone 5 has 4-5 bar every time with no calling or data problems and even the LTE did not slow down not even .1% the whole time. So after all this, Sprint to me are a bunch of liers and crooks and my advice to all the Sprint branded iPhone 5 owners if I where you I would get the fuc k out of here as fast as you can and run to another carrier because all you get from Sprint is a bricked iphone 5 right out the box that all you can do is use it as an iPod.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After all these months and all these people having issues across the country it is clear there is some compatibility issue with Sprint's network and the iPhone 5 (either in whole or in part). The fact that they continue to blatanty lie about it and have not publicly acknowledged the issue to date is mind boggling. Clearly they are no longer concerned with their customer service image.

I am patiently waiting for them to make another contract change that will allow me to void without paying the ETF at which point I will be promptly canceling my two lines and going else where.

Unfortanately new customers will likely not see this thread until it is too late. My guess is that is why Sprint will continue to deny there is a problem as they can sign more people up on iPhone's and essentially trap them for two years. By then the Softbank takeover will be complete, Dan Hesse will be gone and the new company will be left with a poor reputation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am still working with Nadine St. Hilaire Executive Analyst with Sprints escalation department (Executive and Regulatory Services). She called me after my complaint to the BBB. She told meafter a few conversations that they had an issue with the towers in my area and that it would be fixed on the 18th of January. Another engeneering rep told my wife the same thing, but that it would be fixxed at 8am on the 18th of January. My wife has an iPhone 4s that has the exact same speed test/tower strength results I get on my iPhone 5. 

It looks like an issue with the extremely overwelmed Sprint network! Here are some screen shots that show a blend of time frames, check out the speeds for the times when people are not on their phones (sleeping). Look at the busy/awake times VS sleepy times! - The sleepy time is not great but it is usually much better than awake times.   ---   So.... we all need to break up our data usage into shifts and your shift can only come up once a week! Wow, to bad we're stuck paying for a service that should be usable at ALL times! I will take the the short straw and go with the time slot that no one else wants. - Sorry, I had to toss in a tad of humor to keep myself from going more insane over this issue!

Back to a serious note... I lost my phone last night and tried to use the "Find my iPhone" feature. It could not find my phone due to the phone not having a network connection. I wound up finding it at the restaruant we ate at for dinner in an area that Sprint shows to have excellent 3G cell phone coverage. ((( The part of this that is most frusterating to me is that one of our friends that was having dinner with us has an iPhone 5 with Verizon. We were doing side by side speed tests in the restaraunt. He was getting LTE and speeds in the low 20mbps range for download and about 6mbps on upload. My Sprint connection at the restaraunt could not even start the ping test! ))) - ( I will try to get a screen shot from him showing his speed data history - with one of them showing last night )

I have tried to call Nadine twice today with no luck, perhaps they are off today! I told the engeneers that were calling me everyday for speedtest data and tower strength data that I have had enough - the engeneering group has been very nice and understanding. However, the date they(Sprint escalations/engeneering) gave me passed and the problem was/is still here! Nadine told me that if they could not fix the problem that they would have to let me out of my contracts with no ETF. If you refer to my previous post you can see that Sprint has given me several "fixed by" dates. I intend to have this one be my last! It is messing with my life and wellbeing at this point. I am sad to say this, but I had a dream last night at 4:48am that showed my phone getting LTE in my area. The dream was so real and shocking to me that I guess it woke me up. I quickly grabbed my cell phone and saw that there was no LTE and I ran a few speed test. These speed test once again confirmed that Sprints network is extremely overwelmed. They looked decent due to sleepy time testing!! See for yourself!!

I would love for you all to run a few sleepy time test to see if you are getting the same results! I wish you all the best of luck!!!   

IMG_3382[1].PNG

IMG_3358[1].PNG

This one does not show any sleepy time stats.

IMG_3339[1].PNG

(( Look at the time lapse on the next two screen shots... 3 minutes at 52% on the upload test. ))

IMG_3345[1].PNG

IMG_3346[1].PNG

If you made it all the way to this, then you need to file with the BBB ASAP! That was the only way I got Sprint's attention and I am very sad to say that!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The thing that really bothers me is if I swithch on roaming, data works much much better.
Sprint should allow for free roaming for all iPhone users since they can't seem to fix the problems other wise.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Roaming is free make the most of it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Follow up...

See my previous posts to make this clear...

OK!.... I called Nadine back today and told her that the issue is still not fixed. I told her that I needed to end the contracts with Sprint and not be charged an ETF. She agreed to let me out with no ETF and told me to call her back once I activated our numbers with a new company. I went to Verizon today and sold them my iPhone 5 for more than what I paid for it at the Sprint store! Once I got my new phone up and running I knocked out some speed test. Here is what I was getting!

I must say that all of the reps I dealt with at Sprint after the BBB action were very kind and profesional! I wish that there had been some sort of fix and that it never came down to this! However, I am going to get back to a normal life now!

Best of luck to you all!! 

IMG_3390[1].PNG

IMG_3395[1].PNG

IMG_3396[1].PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

HOW LONG DID THIS PROCESS TAKE?  IM ON A MONTH RIGHT NOW. THE ONLY OFFER I GOT SO FAR IS NO ETF BUT I NEED TO SEND PHONE BACK.  I DENIED THE OFFER.  SEEMS LIKE I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ASKED.  SEEMS LIKE A GAME TO THEM BC THEY SHOULD KNOW BY NOW SPRINTS NETWORK IS OVER CAPACITY AND 3g IS NOT WORKING.  NOT SURE WHY THEY DONT STOP WASTING EVERYONES TIME AND MONEY WITH THE DENIALS AND TICKETS AND JUST ACCEPT THAT THE NETWORK IS USELESS UNLESS YOU ARE ON LTE AND STOP WITH THE GAMES.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat