cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 data not working.

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 5 data not working.

Was first in line to get the new iPhone yesterday.  Ever since I left the store, I have not been able to get data on my phone.  3g doesn't show up at all.  Was on the phone with tech support more than once, and they said that i had a defective phone.  I went and had the phone replaced, and am having the same issue.  tried all of the resets suggested, went to update my network settings, etc.  Obviously there is an issue with the Sprint-iPhone 5 connection (the 4S i was using is now my wifes, and it shows a full 3G signal, and works awesome!)

Not sure what the next step is. 

544 REPLIES 544
Highlighted
Journeyman

I Went to the apple store and they tested my phone and found out it was the phone that had issues and gave me a new phone. I would highly reccomend taking your phone to the store.

Highlighted
Journeyman

image.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same issues with the iPhone 5 I upgraded to a couple months ago.  We are in an area that gets LTE coverage and I STILL have issues.  I was so hesitant to upgrade to the iPhone 5 from my Blackberry and sorely regret it now.  I am switching back to one of our old blackberries.  Can't take the frustration any longer!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having poor data problem also. My S2 works great but iPhone 5 sucks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having really poor service where I live in Los Angeles and figured I'd post about what I've done so far and follow up.

I bought an iPhone 5 on Sprint in September 2013 with the knowledge that Network Vision was underway and I'd have improved coverage where I live and work. It's been 7 months and I've actually seen my service degrade. In September, I could at least place calls in my home and data was slow but steady... Now, I'm roaming 50% of the time. Data doesn't work at all. The speedtest app won't even give me a ping.

The Airave that I was given didn't cover most of my home so I sent it back after a few months (I was charged $200 for sending it back, which was resolved, but that's another story). I called Sprint and they gave me the usual--"Network Vision will improve coverage in your area, etc etc."

On 4/13, I filed BBB complaint hoping to get my ETF waived so I can switch to a provider that provides service in my area. I've heard many of you guys get responses from Sprint to send back your phones in order to get it waived, but that's something I will not do. If I'm switching to another carrier, I'll have to sell my Sprint iPhone 5 to make up for the costs involved. I hope they just waive the ETF and let me go.

Have you had any luck with getting your ETF waived? Do you think the steps I've taken will pay off? Oh, and how long should this process take because I'm kind of impatient.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was finally able to find a fix to this issue. The problem is, both Sprint and Verizon use CDMA. A new CDMA iPhone must be told which network it is going to be used on, either Verizon or Sprint. When you go to the Apple store and your iPhone is swapped for warranty issues, you will recieve a recondidtion or refurbished CDMA iPhone. The new iPhone you recieve could have previously been used on the Verizon network. You will recieve a Sprint singnal, and be able to make Sprint phone calls if there is a Sprint sim card in the Verizon iPhone, but you will not be able to connect to Sprint's data network.

So, the fix; You must take your iPhone to the Apple store and explain this to them. They will completely reset your iPhone so that you can choose between the Sprint and Verizon networks. I believe this can be done over the phone as well. Once your phone has been completely reset, and you have choosen the Sprint network, you can restore your iPhone with an iCloud backup, and your iPhone will have Sprint's subpar 3G data again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Our service in Plantation, FL (33324 area code) is terrible. Are there current issues in that area or is this what we should expect in the area? Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same issues in California.  IPhone 5 with an upgraded plan at $85 month and it has lousy connectivity anywhere I go.  I've called Sprint many many times and they claim it's the phone.  I traded my phone for a new IPhone 5 and the trouble remains.  I beleive the common denominator here is SPRINT!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't stop complaining to Sprint, file a complaint with FTC the Federal Trade Comission and the Better Bussiness Bureau, Also call any of your consumer watchdog news channels, they love to help the consumer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been having the same issues. Sprint has been giving me the same run around for over a year. I wish I would have never opened up the iphone 5 box. And to make things worse sprint doesn't care or doesn't take any action. I have been a sprint customer for over 15 years. You would think they would put me in a better phone... And to kick me yet again I didn't switch to another carrier, me like a idiot waited till sprint had the iphones... What a joke....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had nothing but problems out of my Iphone 5 since I bought it in December 2013. No data connectivity.. bad phone connection - but the most aggravating is the data. I have a tablet and two other phones (all droids) on the same plan and can use those with no problems but the Iphone 5 is nothing but problems. I've called and gone through the reset process on numerous occasions and it still does the same thing over and over again. Now it has just started shutting off and restarting all by itself. How can I go about exchanging this phone for a different one, something other than an Iphone?

Highlighted
Master

Under your settings in General, reset your network settings, and after it's done, go to your dial screen and dial ##update# and press talk, that should do the trick.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat