cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 "Searching..." for a signal

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 5 "Searching..." for a signal

At approx. 7:30AM today my iPhone 5 went from working perfectly fine to "searching..." for a signal. I have turned off the phone, reset it, turned off and on airport mode, etc and nothing has solved it.

Is there any remedy for this?

27 REPLIES 27
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 5 "Searching..." for a signal

Same problem here. Is this issue a Sprint or Apple's?

I've tried:

1) rebooting the iphone

2) reset the network settings

3)  turn airplane mode on and off

None of these attempts solve the "searching..." issue

Journeyman

I took it to Apple tonight. They tried to restore it twice to no avail and simply replaced the phone free of charge. From my research it's an Apple issue that's happened on other updates as well.

Good luck to you!

Journeyman

I'm having the same issue with my iphone 5. Stayed on the phone with Apple support for two hour and could not fix the issue. I have an appointment tomorrow.

Wizard

vinceliberatore,

Thanks for visiting Sprint's Community forum regarding the issues you're experiencing with your iPhone 5 and the fact it's suddenly "Searching for service". I completely understand how frustrating this may be and I am happy to assist you further. We'd definitely like to take a peek at the performance of the towers in your area. Mind sharing with us your zip code and nearest cross streets?

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

Michael_H_T,

Thanks for posing. I understand your device is currently searching for service. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this issues is causing you. To begin, was this issue observed after downloading any new applications or updating your software? Additionally, to determine if this is a result of an outage in your area, we'd need to survey the performance of your nearest tower. Mind sharing with us your zip code and nearest cross streets?

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

rdenson8011,

Thanks for your post. I'm certain these issues your facing with your device is an annoyance and we'd definitely like to seek an immediate remedy for this issues. I see you've decided to explore the option of taking your device into a store. Mind sharing with us the results of your store visit?

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Zip code is 66251 and the cross streets were 119th and Nall.

It happened any place I went with the phone and as I said seems to be an Apple problem since it works perfectly fine after Apple replaced the device.

Journeyman

Vinceliberatore,

What did Apple tell you about the iPhone that had the "Searching..." issue? Did you have Apple Care or did they replace it under the manufacture warranty? Sounds too simple to be true.Could you elaborate on the interaction with the Apple Genius. I'm frustrated with my phone, Sprint can't help with the matter, they say the network is fine, suggest common methods like reset all settings....no help.

Journeyman

Michael, I did not have Apple Care, and replaced it under the manf. warranty. I went into the Apple Store and was told that they were too busy for me to see a genius without an appointment, so I asked to speak to a manager. I explained to him what was happening and he took me to a computer to retore the iPhone to factory settings. When the restore failed to complete twice, he went and got me a new device. The manager had said that he had seen this happen on one other device, and that person had T-Mobile. If you look it up online, it's happened with Verizon and AT&T as well. After I activated the new phone on MySprint, it worked (and has worked) flawlessly.

The Sprint network really isn't the issue here, it's the phone reacting to the update.

Hope this helps, and you get it fixed soon!

Journeyman

I appreciate your help. Nothing against Sprint, but this was more helpful than the rep. I'd talked to over the phone.

I will use this info when I go into an Apple retail store this evening. I am still covered under Apple's limited warranty...just barely...about to expire in a couple of days. Funny how tend to go wrong right when warranties are up.

Wizard

Michael_H_T

Thanks for posting. Yes, it was a very helpful answer. Have you tried this:

1. type ##CLEAR# (##25327#)
  2. tap <TALK>
  3. Tap ok at the Resetting Subscriber Settings prompt
  4. 5. Allow the radio to cycle and when Sprint 3G or Sprint LTE is displayed in the status bar, then wait up to 30 seconds for Provisioning to complete. 

There will not be any UI indication that this has completed.

Please let me know if this works.

Andrew B.

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat